Jump to content

Football Thread 2016/17


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some 'senior players' in the squad, and in particular Rooney by all accounts, have already demonstrated ulterior motives by mewling to the press in the middle of a tournament. I reckon it's probably reasonable not to trust such people with any kind of influence on future direction - and if there's any kind of actual evidence of this then they should be run out of the squad altogether.

 

It doesn't really matter though. I am fully confident that the FA can fuck this up again regardless of who they take advice from. Obviously they've chosen the manager every time but they're also responsible for continually undermining any meaning to playing for the national team, with the endless money-spinning friendlies, passing the captaincy round practically every player in the squad, lucratively rewarding and generally pampering them regardless of the abysmal performances, etc.

 

And how many safe pairs of managerial hands have we had now? When was the last manager that in any way stamped their own identity on the team - Keegan? Or has extracted anything even remotely approaching the sum of the team's parts - Venables?

 

There is no conceivable way in which any manager could generate worse tournament performances than some of those we've seen this millennium - when we've even qualified - so let's try a manager with some flair or personality or attacking renown. Or just someone completely left field. Get Ian Holloway in - at least it'd be fucking interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Ex-players, perhaps. But won't Rooney (or any other senior playing pro) have ulterior motives to who he might suggest manages? Even just subconsciously. Senior players are more likely to want a manager that they are friendly with and who will likely pick them in any future team.

 

I don't know Rooney. He might be have some great ideas about how England and the FA should set themselves up. I guess it depends what "consulting" means, really.

Pretty much this. No player should really have an input because they could be bias towards someone that's likely to play them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Give Rafa the job. 

I'm all for a winning coach to take over no matter his nationality.

A manager that knows how to win tournaments or cups. Someone who will command respect from the group of players.

I can't imagine Roy put the fear into the players. 

 

Lets get Sir Alex!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/06/2016 at 2:06 PM, Danster said:

What do we think that leaving the EU will mean for our top teams? Are the Europeans in future going to be included in the foreign player limits?

 

I suspect we'll end up with free movement and fuck all will change to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giggs set to leave Old Trafford.

 

Bad news for all impartial (i.e. non-Man U) fans - he has overseen some of their worse football modern times. He is their common link between the last two seasons of awful dross.

Good news for Man Utd then, getting shot of him with his poor Ass Man skills.

 

-_-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rumours growing all the time around these parts that Wolves are about to be bought by a very, very, very rich man.  The club put out a statement last week basically stating it was 'mere speculation' (Linky) but all that has done has got us speculating further, especially when the story keeps cropping up in foreign media channels (tweeted by Guillam Balague of all people).

 

The rumour: Wolves are to be bought by a Chinese internet entrepreneur called Robin Li who is worth approx $10bn.  Ex-Porto coach Julen Lopetegui is reportedly set to replace Kenny Jackett as manager.

 

It sounds FAR too good to be true, but if it was just t'internet bullshit with nothing going on behind the scenes:

  • Why was the Wolves official club statement so vague, and why was there no outright denial?  If there was nothing in it, I'm convinced Jez Moxey would have said so.
  • Why has this rumour not gone away after nearly a week?  Again, if this was total fabrication, it's normally rubbished by sources fairly quickly

IF this is actually happening, it would completely change the whole club to an inconceivable level.  Although without knowing anything about the proposals (let alone if they're true or not) I have no idea about how much Mr Li intends to invest.  

 

But as a guide, if he was to take charge, he'd be the 2nd richest football club owner in the country, only behind Sheikh Mansour.  He's richer than Abramovich!

 

It's impossible not to feel incredibly excited, let alone rather impatient.  I just want some concrete news here - is this happening or not?!  And if it is, why on earth has he chosen us...??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Rumours growing all the time around these parts that Wolves are about to be bought by a very, very, very rich man.  The club put out a statement last week basically stating it was 'mere speculation' (Linky) but all that has done has got us speculating further, especially when the story keeps cropping up in foreign media channels (tweeted by Guillam Balague of all people).

 

The rumour: Wolves are to be bought by a Chinese internet entrepreneur called Robin Li who is worth approx $10bn.  Ex-Porto coach Julen Lopetegui is reportedly set to replace Kenny Jackett as manager.

 

It sounds FAR too good to be true, but if it was just t'internet bullshit with nothing going on behind the scenes:

  • Why was the Wolves official club statement so vague, and why was there no outright denial?  If there was nothing in it, I'm convinced Jez Moxey would have said so.
  • Why has this rumour not gone away after nearly a week?  Again, if this was total fabrication, it's normally rubbished by sources fairly quickly

IF this is actually happening, it would completely change the whole club to an inconceivable level.  Although without knowing anything about the proposals (let alone if they're true or not) I have no idea about how much Mr Li intends to invest.  

 

But as a guide, if he was to take charge, he'd be the 2nd richest football club owner in the country, only behind Sheikh Mansour.  He's richer than Abramovich!

 

It's impossible not to feel incredibly excited, let alone rather impatient.  I just want some concrete news here - is this happening or not?!  And if it is, why on earth has he chosen us...??

 

Probably worth remembering that QPR were owned by people worth £22bn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I am also very excited about this. 

 

If only because there might be a chance we can get rid of that "the money shop" shit off our shirts. 

Yay - a fellow Wolf!!

 

Sadly, I think we're stuck with that for 12 months.  But I like the mock up of the shirt with the Baidu logo.

 

The rumour is steadily gathering pace.  Incredibly exciting times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't seen that mock shirt, do you have a link?

 

it really does seem like there is something going on, unfortunately I think we're stuck with the sponsor for three years. 

 

Also I said I'd never give Wolves a penny of my money while we were sponsored by those cunts, so stands to reason we'd get big money behind us now! :D

 

Anyway, I guess I could still buy away tickets  Not that I'll have a chance now! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it seems to be said every year, but the Championship is going to be mental this year although the number of clubs owned by super rich foreigners seems to be going up and up and there are only three promotion spots.

 

How long before, either clubs fins themselves in big trouble (Cardiff, QPR, Forest, etc) if those owners lose interest or there is a big push for Premier League 2 (or whatever daft thing they come up with). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I haven't seen that mock shirt, do you have a link?

 

it really does seem like there is something going on, unfortunately I think we're stuck with the sponsor for three years. 

 

Also I said I'd never give Wolves a penny of my money while we were sponsored by those cunts, so stands to reason we'd get big money behind us now! :D

 

Anyway, I guess I could still buy away tickets  Not that I'll have a chance now! :)

 

CmeJ0V_XYAAJDyt.jpg

 

Looks heaps better!!

 

I don't like The Money Shop being on our shirts but at the same time, I don't find it any worse than SportingBet, and that logo was fucking BLUE so it looked worse!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not about the way it looks, it's about what it represents.

 

The city of Wolverhampton has a lot of unemployment, Wolves are synonymous with the city, and Wolves putting that shit on the shirt is an endorsement to the people of the city to take loans they can't afford.

 

It's the worst thing Moxey has done in my eyes.

 

I realise now that you could be suggesting a betting firm is no better, you could be right about that I suppose.

 

Anyway, yes, the image above does look better.

 

Out of darkness...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

It's not about the way it looks, it's about what it represents.

 

The city of Wolverhampton has a lot of unemployment, Wolves are synonymous with the city, and Wolves putting that shit on the shirt is an endorsement to the people of the city to take loans they can't afford.

 

It's the worst thing Moxey has done in my eyes.

 

I realise now that you could be suggesting a betting firm is no better, you could be right about that I suppose.

 

Anyway, yes, the image above does look better.

 

Out of darkness...

 

Yeah I agree with you mate - my 7 year old is also a Wolves fan, and I don't like the fact that a loan shark company and a betting firm have adorned our shirts because they shouldn't be on kids' shirts.  I think it's irresponsible and doesn't really fit with our supposed 'community spirit'.

 

Anyway, sounds like an announcement regarding the takeover is happening in days rather than weeks.  So exciting!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does that mean he'll be benched or always playing as the striker? If it's the latter that's a bad thing for United because it'll mean less opportunities for Martial and Rashford who you'd want playing more than Rooney. With Ibra there too the best thing to do would be getting rid of Rooney. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.