IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

37 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Skrtel looked like he was actively trying to get himself sent off in this game. 

He looks like that every game he plays. It's only down to the sheer charity of referees that he's not racked up over a hundred red cards in his career.

18 hours ago, angel said:

ITV is a tough pill to swallow though, I tend to give it a miss else I just get annoyed. Especially if we win 1-0 at home against someone ranked 150 places below us in the world, with an 87th minute Rooney penalty, and he comes out and starts talking about 3 points. No, Wayne, you should be winning 8-0 against Belarus, not scraping by and simpering on about "at the end of the day it's a good result" stuff.

Pretty much, aye. Jammy fucking bastards, man.

England were terrible, but I'm pleased for Lallana.  He deserved his goal, as he was England's best player, and he took it very well.  The little touch to create the shooting space for him was great composure, and he earned the bit of luck with the finish.  His abscence was a big reason the Iceland match went the way it did, as Sturridge playing there blocked Walker from making forward runs and...  oh I don't want to think about the Iceland game anymore.  We're moving on to new, equally turgid pastures, albeit ones that end with a quite lucky last-minute goal.  Woooo.

Some of the shit that Allardyce came out with after the game re. Rooney is extraordinary:

Wayne played wherever he wanted. He was brilliant and controlled midfield. I can’t stop Wayne playing there.

This is the most decorated outfield player in England. He’s won everything at Manchester United, at Champions League and domestic level. I think he holds a lot more experience at international football than I do as an international manager. So, when he is using his experience and playing as a team member, it’s not for me to say where he’s going to play.

It’s up to me to ask whether he’s doing well in that position, of course, and contributing. If so, great. We’d like to get him into goalscoring positions more. He’s been a goalscorer all his life and I want him to do that again, but he reads a game as he reads it. He read it very well, we won and dominated. I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he’d play. But I was pleased with his performance.

He seems to be confused about whether he's a manager or a pundit.

22 minutes ago, nakamura said:

England. Are we even worth moaning about anymore? 

I think the biggest frustration, by far, is that when these players go and play for their respective clubs, they look like world beaters. And it's not like they are playing against rank amateurs, they are playing against some of the best defences and best coaches.

Allardyce is going to be horribly out of his depth. Telling us that it is "Not for him to say" where Rooney plays is one of the most incredible things I have heard a football manager say at any level, let alone international. It means we opened up without any clear plan on who plays where. And it was illustrated in the first 60 minutes when we played a 5-1-4 formation.

41 minutes ago, hmm said:

Some of the shit that Allardyce came out with after the game re. Rooney is extraordinary:

He seems to be confused about whether he's a manager or a pundit.

Hearing him immediately blush 'he was brilliant!' at the mere mention of Rooney was jarring wasn't it, its so at odds with everyone else's impression of him that it really was like, for a few seconds, going back to a post game interview Allardyce was doing for a Bolton vs Man United game from 2005 when his team was smashed to bits and he could only sit back and admire the team shredding interplay of Rooney and Ronaldo, which actually Allardyce's Bolton were a favourite team for that side to maul. The glow at which Rooney must emanate for Allardyce to gush like that, in awe at all his entirely irrelevant records. Such a limited unimaginative view for a new manager to have, to not look at this team and see how else it can be set up from how it failed before. I like the 'he reads the game as he reads it', as though he has been playing the game for a thousand years and his instinct to wander cannot be questioned, his positioning above mere categorization and criticism. His doesn't read the game excellently, just 'as he reads it', swatting away any exploration of analysis, this is a football god we're in the precense of, for a manager of mostly undecorated players all his career he finds himself bowing to someone far more successful than himself, who he hopes to cling on to. Wait...'he reads it very well'. Wait again...'we won and dominated'. Convincing.

Ok Individual player fixation is negative and weird, I'll stop there. People are bored by now though, Iceland should have been his final game as anything other than 4th choice striker back up utility man, dunno why I care about England, just invested interest, I like watching a lot of the players in the league, why continue to pick them in pro evo online, I want to find a formation, line up, way of playing that works.

Anyway, i agree with Michael Cox, Lallana was England's best player, i think he's been England's most consistently bright player for 18 months or so, he links midfield and attack in a side that has always been stilted and creatively devoid, makes intelligent runs, both footed, great first touch, he's everywhere, can't finish but then it's not his game and if he finished one of the three chances he seems to get a game he'd be a star, it comes down to confidence, now he finally has a goal he won't snatch at chances with the air of someone who knows he won't score because it hasn't happened yet. Cox saying 'England should build around Lallana' is just to illustrate the role Rooney should have, the stuff he should he doing as a free role behind the striker but which he isn't. Lallana's play is of someone sharp, alert, always dangerous even if he's less likely to score than any other attacker, pulling defenders all over the place, creating space and chances for others. Rooney's natural inclination is to Get On Ball, zone out, spread the ball wide. 

I think Allardyce deserves a little more credit for the Rooney stuff. He's come out and said directly that Rooney didn't do what he told him to do but in a way that means Rooney doesn't lose face. I suspect behind the scenes was slightly different and that Rooney will play where's he's meant to next time.

(I didn't watch it, obviously.)

I genuinely thought that coin story was one dng made up until I read it in a newspaper hours later. The way it was put; 'Allardyce said, rolling the coin between his fingers'. I just couldn't decide. The line 'I'm not really superstitious' is one I can imagine Allardyce saying, but that story coupled with seemingly a disregard for tactics is almost like a parody. 

It was such a fucking shite game and performance to match the pitch. An early goal is a nice start but they basically sat back after that and drew the inevitable. A soft penalty may have given Serbia the lead, but they ought to have been 3-1 up after Randolph fluffed a save. Serbia did them a favour by copying their "hold the lead" tactic because after Vukovic's miss it was all Ireland - until the equaliser, at which point it was back to defending.

A draw is a good result, given the group, and the pitch will probably be the reason why Hoolahan was left on the bench unless he's also carrying some knock I'm not aware of, but there'll need to be better football than this against Austria and Wales or it's a third place finish and no World Cup.

So Allardyce admits that Rooney basically doesn't listen to instructions and runs around the pitch playing wherever he likes.  Yet this is okay to him and still isn't willing to drop him?  Sometimes I think that I must have shit in my eyes and I'm missing what all the pundits/England managers seem to see which happens to be a combination of Messi and Ronaldo, as hard as I try though I still see a headless chicken, with little game intelligence and the passing range which makes Joe Allen look like the Welsh Xavi.

That's really harsh. Rooney's had an astonishingly good career. I'm surprised he's not retired from international football but that's up to him. Who else is better in midfield, is English and is able to sit in that midfield and offer what Paul Scholes, Gazza or Glen Hoddle did (in my view, they're the three best English midfielders I've seen in my lifetime)? He's the record goal scorer, will probably surpass Peter Shilton's appearance record and he's won just about everything at club level. I was hardly enthralled by that England performance and I don't expect them to do anything at the next World Cup but singling Rooney out is harsh. Yes, he's the captain. I think Allardyce was trying to articulate something about trying to fit him into a team but just didn't articulate it very well.

England are sadly a very ordinary team of average at best internationals. Rooney's above average. Ronaldo and Messi comparisons aren't fair. Few players in the last hundred years are on a par with them. 

I think the point they are making is that if he isn't on the level of other world class players, why should we need to 'fit him in'?

I think it would be different if there was not adequate cover in midfield, but really we are playing him at the expense of Alli which is nuts.