IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

Both teams bottled it.

Really think the selection was wrong. Dier is a good passer but he's not really creative, and Livermore is a similarly steady type of player. They both found themselves with a lot of time and space but couldn't do much with it. One of Oxlade-Chamberlain or Ward-Prowse should've started centrally I think. Or if we'd started with a 3-4-3, the wingers would've been able to come inside more and help out, creatively speaking.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

We are so bad. Thank God for creative foreign players in the premier league.

Lallana looked good, just didn't get on the ball enough in dangerous areas.

33 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Vintage Scotland. Only team to ever lose 2-2.

Absolute scenes at Hampden though. I think my throat is bleeding. Fuckin exhausted.

My brother was there to, gonna be a rowdy night in Glasgow tonight i reckon. Im looking forward to some of the smug cunts on TalkSport, eating a little humble pie after saying how terrible Scotland are, which is generally true, its just they're such arseholes about it.

I'm a bit daft to all the football stuff but I got all excited when I heard the screams in my street (after shitting myself) the full street was in uproar and cause there is pubs (10) 2secs from where I stay the place was jumping at the second goal! So does that mean Scotland never qualified or do they have to play another game to get in and have to win the game???

England's U20s just won the World Cup!

Given England's unerring ability to disappoint on the international stage, cap doffed to the kids. One day, a true golden generation will come along...

Been a good weekend for England's youth sides as another U20 side won the Toulon Tournament as well.

It was a good game in the final - a couple of crackers off the woodwork, penalty miss, some important saves, and a lot of nice footwork. Shame there couldn't be a bit of a fairytale for Venezuela who have never even made the full World Cup before. On one hand, an U20 showing is no real guarantee of future success but coupled with the expansion to 48 teams, they'll surely do so before too long.

My biggest disappointment though is Woodman preventing Tomori from adding to his terrific own goals tally.

The U20 success is a great thing, statistically speaking. You breed success at this age, and keep building on it, and you're going to get success in the seniors. You can track it through in other World Cup winning countries.

It's also a great indicator that the work from at George's Park is starting to pay off, 5 years into what was expected to be a 10 year programme. 

Better second half, but the score at the time would have seen to that. It frustrates me greatly that O'Neill still seems to not trust his more technical players. To be fair, Walters, McClean et al do their job well, and defensively Ireland are ok, but it's really hard to watch when you know Hoolahan can unlock a defence. 

Still, it was a hoof and hope and a stroke of luck for the equaliser so what do I know. Not entirely sure what to think about the disallowed goal - either the ref thought it was a handball which would be a tight call between that and the shoulder, or he thought Murphy pushed the defender. I seriously doubt that was a foul anywhere else on the field.

But fuck it, it keeps Austria four points behind rather than nullifying the good win in Vienna. A draw between Serbia and Wales and it's been a good weekend. Good, not perfect, but I'll take it.

Meanwhile, Northern Ireland continue to do well - they're four clear of the Czechs with four games to go, and are looking good for the playoff which is all they could really hope for. Get the draw at Windsor in the next game and they're probably as good as there. 

Playoffs, not the cup. It's unfortunate being drawn against Germany.

3 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Better second half, but the score at the time would have seen to that. It frustrates me greatly that O'Neill still seems to not trust his more technical players. To be fair, Walters, McClean et al do their job well, and defensively Ireland are ok, but it's really hard to watch when you know Hoolahan can unlock a defence. 

Still, it was a hoof and hope and a stroke of luck for the equaliser so what do I know. Not entirely sure what to think about the disallowed goal - either the ref thought it was a handball which would be a tight call between that and the shoulder, or he thought Murphy pushed the defender. I seriously doubt that was a foul anywhere else on the field.

But fuck it, it keeps Austria four points behind rather than nullifying the good win in Vienna. A draw between Serbia and Wales and it's been a good weekend. Good, not perfect, but I'll take it.

Austria were a poor side, and the goal was probably the only action either side really saw in the first half. We should have nicked it in the second anyway, but it was really frustrating performance. Just didn't click at all - the amount of times a ball in the final third went nowhere was pissing off the entire crowd. Two points dropped. Those might have been handy later, because we can't play like that against Serbia or Wales and get away with it.

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Really would much rather a draw here but I'd find it hard to begrudge Wales a win. Just be much more comfortable with Ireland in a two horse race than three or four. 

Wales voted Brexit. I begrudge them a football team. Draw is a great result for us.