rllmuk
Broker

Sniper Elite IV (PC/PS4/XB1)

Yeah just got this in the PSN sale too. Really enjoyed the first or second (can't remember which tbh) back on my 360. Hopefully it's as fun as that one was.

13 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Picking this up for £15 - is the DLC worth another £8? Bit of a gamble if I don’t get on with the main game, but the current discount is too heavy not to consider it.

I'm almost done playing the DLC and apart from one area, I'd say it has some of the best maps/layouts in the whole game. The last one I'm on now in particular is really nice. Lot's of ways through and places to hide and snipe. If you want to get all the collectibles etc you should get at least 2-3 hours out of each DLC level (there are 4 in total)

Played the whole game again doing as many of the fun (ie not timed) optional objectives as possible then killed Hitler by putting a bomb in his soup. 10/10 GOTY.

They could take the stealth, traps, generally mugging baddies off gameplay and slot it into the next Fallout or Skyrim and it'd be so sweet.

• Upvote 2

I’ve been waiting for this to be on offer on the Xbox Store and finally picked it up this week after really enjoying the previous game. However, I’m stuck already as I appear to have cleared the entire first level of enemies, apart from General Schmidt who doesn’t appear to have spawned. I’ve searched the entire villa for him, he shows up on the map, but just isn’t appearing to kill. Anyone else had this problem? Do I need to start the game again?

How often does the game save your progress? I’m looking to get this but realise the campaign levels are well over an hour apiece but with my limited game time, want to be sure I can save mid- mission. Cheers!

I started this today - my first Sniper Elite game - and my mind was boggled by the amount of difficulty options. I like to play on authentic with as few assists and hud elements as I can get away with and, to be honest, I was doing better on the firing range once I put it on ‘authentic plus’ or whatever it is, and I only had one zoom level to worry about on the scope. 

I am finding it really hard to land shots, though. It seems as though you have to adjust for bullet drop even on enemies only 150m away, plus I’ve definitely not got the hang of how much to adjust to the side for the wind, nor how many mils to take into account per 50m or whatever. I also can’t see much in the way of a ‘puff’ to indicate where the shot did land so I can adjust and learn. It feels like a golf game at times.

I’m looking forward to mastering it though. The AI seems really detailed.  

Play it through once on normal just to get a feel for the game and have a blast. Then try all the advanced stuff.

Don't do authentic from the get go and spend 4 months per level.

It's a really great game. Very "gamey", a perfect antidote to some of the anti consumer BS of recent years.

• Upvote 1

On 27/02/2017 at 15:25, Nathan Wind said:

I swung right first to clear the plane, then cut back across the middle for the pilot and over to the left and up through the checkpoints and depots to do everything. Spent over two hours just on that one mission and it was wicked. Character faces aside, it looks superb. 

I was doing the viaduct mission last night and just could not hit the satchel charge I placed under the railway. I backed out all the way to the bridge in a the village and missed so many shots I thought something had gone wrong, so I ran back up to it and shot it close range with my pistol (it worked, I died).

This is a great game, though. I put it into Hard mode and also made some other things a bit more realistic, like only having one zoom level on the scopes. Although that seems to lock me into just a 4x scope on the Springfield, which is a bit weak. It looks like the strongest zoom if you have 'realistic attachments' on is 6x, which is a bit lame, so I might turn that off again.

Every mission so far has turned into a clusterfuck of soldiers hunting me and me running away in a hail of gunfire, but I think until you get amazing at sniping, or unless you want to Solid Snake your way through areas close range, that'll always be the way. Firing and moving, then picking off more Nazis while they're looking in the wrong place, seems to be the way forward.

It must be mega rewarding doing an entire level with no-one even knowing you were there. As far as they know they must've had a faulty batch of fuel tanks from the Fiat factory.

• Upvote 1

I've loved this game from release and  only played on authentic. It took a while but after a LOT of practice you really get a feel for how to account for bullet drop and wind (find the right rifle that suits you though as some are more challenging than others). I made few videos:

I love how open each map is to play around and find favourite shooting spots. And pulling off a long range shot is immensely satisfyingly without any aids switched on. For me it's the best game in the series and I hope there''s more to come in the future.

• Upvote 5

Awesome stuff. Once you get used to a rifle I guess it's hard to change.

So is it true that 6x is the max 'realistic' magnification you can get?

I looked up a few training videos for the ballistics and learned that the wind meter show you the offset for roughly 200m, so if your target is 100m away you need to compensate by half the distance shown by the wind marker. Not sure if that's true for all rifles and ammo types though. That's made dealing with wind (pardon) a lot easier.

Is there a rule of thumb for bullet drop using the two different types of rifle ammo? I'm kind of just guessing when my target is between the zeroing settings (e.g 150m away) but I'd rather use the mils on the reticle so it feels a bit more scientific.

Just now, Kauwiks said:

Holy shit you're good @Karzee - very impressive shooting!

I know, especially without range indicators over their heads!

I'm hoping after a run through I'll get better a judging distances without the need to mark enemies. Though I did notice he busted out the binocs a few times to check the range. AUTHENTIC MY ARSE.

The bridge at the start of level 7 must've been designed for this right? As soon as you fire a shot they all line up for the slaughter:

I really like this game but it's not quite as clever as I first thought, unless I'm missing something. I thought there would be some ingenious manipulation to be had or angles to find to achieve more objectives without getting anywhere near them, for example drawing a target out into the open somehow and then sniping him from 500m outside of his enclave. But each mission seems to require you to get deep into the hornets' nest via clearing the area or sneaking around like Solid Snake, usually to press X near an objective or kill some guy who was never going to come out of his hidey-hole. I was expecting some more clever setups like the Hitman levels that make you feel like a boss when you figure them out. It's brilliant fun but each level does seem to reduce down to sniping, moving, sniping, moving, broken up by some running-and-gunning and stealth takedowns.

Really enjoying this courtesy of Game Pass although new to the franchise (only playing on normal difficulty mind).  You can quick save once something has been achieved, and then feel free to experiment a bit more for a while.   Looks gorgeous too which always helps in these fairly slow paced experiences.

The agency is good too. For one of the officer kills, I blew up a lorry, waited for the officer and accompanying goons to go searching and crept into the hut.  When the officer returned I stabbed him in the guts.  So much for sniping :lol:

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 2

On 20/08/2018 at 10:08, Pob said:

I was doing the viaduct mission last night and just could not hit the satchel charge I placed under the railway.

That bit was quite awkward - the charge lodges in the bottom right hand side of the hole in the wall which makes the angle more tricky.  I ended up dashing down to check again exactly where it was placed before doing my snipey thing.

Nice old fashioned SP military shooter, nothing too taxing but with obvious scope to make more challenging, or to set your own level objectives. Spent stupid time in the port level emptying the armoury in various ways, in particular booby trapping bodies and chucking them down the stairs to be stumbled over, and also sniping from one of the snipers' nests, just moving from side to side of the crane structure.

This game has actually motivated me to download a couple of Hitman 1 episodes since it's sort of got me in the mood for it.

• Upvote 1