rllmuk
Broker

Sniper Elite IV (PC/PS4/XB1)

18 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

I swung right first to clear the plane, then cut back across the middle for the pilot and over to the left and up through the checkpoints and depots to do everything. Spent over two hours just on that one mission and it was wicked. Character faces aside, it looks superb. 

Ah, did the opposite and went left down to the checkpoints. Although I got so absorbed in blowing up the ammo cache up the road that I forgot about the plane and pilot. Had to circle back round, but at least found a gnarly sniper spot and picked off soldiers at will. Snipers are horrible.

Let one guy live though, intel said he saved a POW from bleeding out, felt cruel to be the one to end his service after a rare moment of compassion in conflict. He'll go to sleep never knowing his heart was lined up in those crosshairs. The guys that offed a load of partisans and reveled in PI deaths got new holes in their skulls though. When my end comes, it will be equally brutal and deservedly so.

This game.

• Upvote 3

On 27/02/2017 at 15:28, Hexx said:

Anyone explain Overwatch co-op mode to me?

If it's the same as in SE:V2 then one of you doesn't have a rifle and goes around completing mission objectives, while the other player watches over them with the rifle.

Ooooh, the docks is another great level.

Damn that sniper though, he got shot square in the balls. As did quite a few of his mates. All practice for the Albert Hall trophy in the DLC, and not some weird snipe fetish. Honest.

Yeah, the docks was the level I kinda sighed and thought here we go expecting it to be oh so generic, but it was actually great, with lovely attention to detail and loads of tactical options.

Same, thought it would be just that, docks, but the opening section and carving a path to the main docks is really good fun.

Also totally didn't realise you can shoot out all the lights. Like, ALL, the lights. Hello darkness my old friend...

Docks was first level co-op chum and I played on Hard...we ended up at one end of a warehouse having been spotted as half the map rushed us.

"Overwatch" is as described - an odd start, but fun enough with a chum/voice chat. Not sure of replayability though (other than switching roles for one replay)

I was doing the docks mission last night and thought the level was excellent, it just kept opening up.. 

Playing on Authentic difficulty is just perfect for me. Not only are all objective markers removed from the screen they're also removed from the map. You have the list of objectives but it's up to you to search and discover them. It trebles the amount of time you spend on a map. Great stuff.

• Upvote 1

It's half the game on anything less than Authentic but, even so, I'm not finding it a huge challenge and, now on the seventh or eight level, it's starting to outstay it's welcome a little.

The environments are all fantastic in both size and detail but, for me the gameplay is still a little repetitive. I know I could stealthily creep around every area knifing every soldier but that is desperately boring when I am armed with a sniper rifle so, for me,  it's not more than creep into an area, shoot someone, clear area of soldiers, search every room for documents and objectives once the area's allocated support has been killed, move on to next area, repeat. I'm getting a little bored now as most gameplay elements and opposition are introduced in the first level or two which means I am not seeing enough new to sustain my interest as I've gone on..

Yeah,  that's true enough @Nathan Wind

I definitely completed the first,  not sure about the second,  but got bored quite quickly with the third. The sniping,  unless at extreme range, just seems a bit too easy so soon becomes a little mundane.. 

The most  disappointing though remains the lack of less variety in the gameplay,   especially given the outstanding  effort that has gone into the environments. 

For me it's good but it's not great.

I went gung-ho on the monastery level. Started out with good intentions, which lasted about 30 seconds once I ballsed up a fairly easy shot from the roof you start the level from. Once the full alert kicked in, thought 'I'll see how this plays out' and barely survived a wave of German soldiers. Calmed down after a fairly frenetic 10 minutes, quite enjoyed the change of pace.

Rest of the level was pretty sedate, albeit with some excellent paths and routes for being a sneaky bastard.

Aaaaaaaand done. Thoroughly enjoyed pretty much until the last level when a bit of fatigue set in. Put about 3 hours into every level though (one challenge set by the game is to finish a level in 15 minutes or less :lol:) so more than got my money's worth. Think Sniper: Elite difficulty is the way to go too, marksman causes very few problems and is pretty forgiving.

Finished off with the Target Fuhrer add-on that came included with the game. Decent level layout (imagine multiplayer would be fun on it, especially the opening structures) but the real enjoyment came with trying to get the different trophies for killing old Adolf. Yup, he got shot square in the ball, Albert Hall trophy get!

Fun game, good progression for the series.

Loving this at the moment. So much to do.

Bought the silenced weapon pack because I love the secret sniper but found the game too easy and didn't have to wait for noises etc so I'm switching back to the loud weapons to have more fun. I'm on the third level. Seaport level was heck of a lot of fun especially once I got in the mix with a trench gun and just started blasting Nazis left right and centre.

Weirdly, I bought the camouflage weapon DLC but it doesn't camo any of my weapons in the game. 

3 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Karzee, not sure why I didn't see your post before but I have forwarded onto a lot of the dev team here :). Thanks :hat:

Can you ask them to make an AvP follow-up on the Jaguar while you're at it, please?  I'll love you forever.

3 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Can you ask them to make an AvP follow-up on the Jaguar while you're at it, please?  I'll love you forever.

Never fuckin mind that, just give me an AvP sequel to the 2010 one, I fucking loved that game.  Just the technical issues were utter shit.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, mr_woo said:

Never fuckin mind that, just give me an AvP sequel to the 2010 one, I fucking loved that game.  Just the technical issues were utter shit.

Yep one of the few Muk multiplayer shenanigans I took part in back when still played mp - loved being the alien, lurking in the shadows all sneaky like and just fucking with the soldiers instead of immediately killing them. The hiss button was genius.

Shame we had to stop because of all the connection issues. It was damn near impossible to start a game without dropping anyone

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yep one of the few Muk multiplayer shenanigans I took part in back when still played mp - loved being the alien and just fucking with the soldiers instead of immediately killing them. The hiss button was genius

And boy did you like to use it.  Fuck you for that btw :P  At least I can still play the PC version for single player/survival stuff, pity they never had bots in the game but oh well.

I should also say I really like Sniper Elite and look forward to playing 4 as well, just need to actually finish 3 first!

Is this worth picking up then? Any comparisons to other game series with how it plays?

Plus can you tackle any missions as a 3 player co-op? Campaign is limited to 2 right?

(sorry for all the questions, a friend wants us to get on this but I'd never even heard of it until now)

It's easily the highlight of the series and I have no regrets having paid full price for it at launch. Depending on price I'd recommend it to anyone. Dunno about the co-op stuff, I just solo-ed it.

• Upvote 1

On 14/02/2017 at 10:25, cohen205 said:

The slow motion x ray kills are obviously the main draw, but I slightly question my morals when i'm laughing my head off at a mans skull exploding!

I can justify it (and also singing 'pop pop, bodies drop' to myself every so often) because they are Nazis or Fascist Italians. fuck those guys. My favourite thing to do is booby trap a body with a mine and then throw it off a roof where one of his pals can find it before skipping away like the Roadrunner. 

I'm shocked at how much this improves over the previous games. 

Yes, it's a great game.  It's a shame this series seems to get overlooked, especially on the co-op front. I've never managed to convince any of my gaming chums of its merits, those fucks.  I'm really looking forward to Strange Brigade.

• Upvote 2