rllmuk
Broker

Sniper Elite IV (PC/PS4/XB1)

ok, spent a day with this and setting everything on the hardest level and removing the wind, is the perfect way to play. Aim assist kills any skill based shots. The default setting is far too easy and generous.

All that off and the game truly shines as a really clever well thought out fun experience, my favourite highlight has been spotting a a pile of lumber held up with a couple of props that arent highlighted red, and sniping one out with a masked sound shot to get a triple kill with the falling logs.

I wish you could turn the red glowing hints off and discover it all for yourself, that aside it really is a massive leap forward and a truly fun game, each mission is averaging out well over an hour and the pace is sublime,  the maps are massive and opportunities to tackle them how you want are really what makes this stand out.

its keeping me off Nioh so thats how good it is.

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Hardbattle said:

Just had a quick go on this using the Pro on a 1080p screen... it looks nice and all that, but the frame rate isn't  smooth at all. It's really noticeable when you rotate the camera...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-sniper-elite-4-performance-analysis

Looks like a bit of a disappointment all around.

Xbox One spends most of its time below a 30fps cap and PS4 (including pro) is significantly better but no cap so frame rates are all over the place.

Just under 3 hours to complete level 1 and I still couldn't find the third bloody eagle statue.Thankfully the manual save system is perfect so the couple of mistakes I made didn't require any real level of backtracking.

The detail in the first level was pretty special too. I lost count of the number of paths and routes I found and a couple of times I even got lost only to be channeled back to an earlier location via some path I hadn't even noticed. 

Great stuff.

• Upvote 3

Didn't think the secodn map was a good - a bit smaller - but around one village, so not as much sight lines for sniping so more stealthy infiltration. Managed to get about 80% through without being spotted/setting the guards off which was nice.

Scouted out and Sniped the Radio Operator (using sound cover) from 1/3rd of the way across the map - through a small window to his room - no one found him

And managed to take out lots of other guards in silence or using "accidents"

• Upvote 5

:D

On 17/02/2017 at 11:05, Talk Show Host said:

Has anyone tried this in coop? There are very few coop campaign games out there and this looks much more fun playing with a friend.

Played a campaign mission (3) today with a buddy - really good fun and both got to contribute easily. A good map helped.

We're thinking of turning up the difficulty next time - the enemies can fall apart under multi-directional snipers, niether of whom they know where they are,.

I'm not sure it'd be as much fun replaying when you both know maps/tricks - but as a campaign it was great fun!

• Upvote 2

Hot off the back of finishing III, was going to wait a bit before doing more sniping but with the missus out for the evening I caved last night... and thoroughly glad I did. Playing III one day and this the next really underlines the improvements made to an already very enjoyable game. First level is massive, only covered about half of it in 90 minutes (although I was taking my time, savouring the surroundings and improvements). AI is much better than III, and the reactions from soldiers to fallen comrades is a nice little touch. In fact, that's probably the best thing, none of the changes are particularly sweeping, and in isolation would be fairly underwhelming. However, stack up all the little touches side-by-side and the polish done by Rebellion is really first-rate.

Loving the little bios you get when you tag an enemy too. So much so that some of them I feel like letting go untouched by the sniper rifle's wicked fire of death, so they can go back to their life after the war. But then I was all, well someone else will probably get them anyway, unleash the kill cam! This series has made me a virtual monster.

• Upvote 5

Further adventures have led me to map three, which is a beaut. Loving the sandbox approach, and the move towards more emphasis on long-range kills. In III the ratio of up close Vs ranged was about 50/50 but here you can really wreak havoc from afar. Didn't mind map two, even as the weakest of those I've played it still has a lot to uncover. Excited to see what the later levels bring, great game so far.

Yay, another player! Good to see another join the ranks :)

I'm currently on normal, thinking about going up to hard as nothing has been too taxing yet (halfway through level three). Guessing the harder difficulties make the need to be methodical even more important? Kudos to anyone who plays authentic, that... that sounds... fun?!

I've still got the aiming aids on for now but my intention is to get rid as I slowly get into the swing of aiming over distance.  I played most of the way through V2 on the hardest setting back in the day - hard to believe that was five years ago.  It was absolutely infuriating.  My gaming skills have deteriorated seriously since then, however. 

I like this, very much, but I still think number 2 is my fave.  I prefer the dreary grey ruins of Berlin's city streets as a backdrop and the smaller, more concise maps.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, fair play.  I started the viaduct level today and it's magnificent.

I'd love to see them do the forests of the western front and revisit the ruins of Berlin with the current game engine and level design sensibilities.  This is miles better than number 3, which I found a bit of a trudge.

It's great, isn't it? Did you take the high road or the low road, down by the water and checkpoints? Hoping to get an hour or two in later and polish the level off.

I swung right first to clear the plane, then cut back across the middle for the pilot and over to the left and up through the checkpoints and depots to do everything. Spent over two hours just on that one mission and it was wicked. Character faces aside, it looks superb. 

• Upvote 1