Broker

Sniper Elite IV (PC/PS4/XB1)

Captain Sniper is back! He's returned from sniper island to deal with all the Reds and the krauts using only his very gruff voice and an unbelievable talent for shooting people who are very far away (or very small I suppose, depending on your perspective).

It sounds like the environments are even more open than in Captain Sniper in Africa, and obviously has the X-Ray murder cam from the other games, a device intended to give you a glimpse into how Captain Sniper's magic sniping eyes work. He used them to kill Hitler you know.

Here's a link to a pretty shitty written preview. They seem to like the game but they're got all the names and settings wrong:

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/03/16/sniper-elite-is-now-big-enough-to-let-you-be-a-proper-bastard

Anyway, I really enjoyed Captain Sniper 2 after I bought it for £5 in a PSN sale. I've only just started CSiA because it's only just got cheap enough but if it's good this could be the first Captain Sniper game I pay full price for. Pre-order now to receive a special map of sniper island and a tiny little man you can shoot at when he's far away for the ultimate challenge.

• Upvote 6

I only just heard about this, and it's out in two weeks. Loved the previous three games and this looks like more of the same, but bigger. And a new kill Hitler DLC mission. In!

• Upvote 1

Picked up III on the cheap after becoming intrigued by the look of IV. It's pretty cool! Loving how gloriously OTT the kill cam is, but also enjoy the satisfaction it brings after lining up a shot. Got my first double kill too, whoop.

The game seems pretty open in how you approach things too, keen to get through this and see how IV turns out now.

• Upvote 1

Played a bit more of III and now gone from intrigue to high hopes for IV. Scouting the map and the approach to take feels similar in gameplay, albeit not as polished, as Metal Gear V, which is no bad thing.

If the new Sniper Elite delivers on the promise of being more open-ended, then can see a lot of fun to be had, and a potential sleeper hit. Anyone not sure, give III a look, it's worth it.

some great vids of this knocking about, the 2 player co-op looks amazing fun as does the horde wave mode.

Making it massively open, with multiple options and paths, great cover system, new height traversal,  along with environmental kills and a completely overhauled physics system have got me pre ordering this.

• Upvote 2

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2017/02/13/sniper-elite-4-review  - 8.3

A lot of games tout the ability to “play how you want to play,” but Sniper Elite 4’s missions and mechanics actually are robust enough to back up that claim. Picking apart the Nazi war machine piece by piece, using whatever plan comes to mind, is a blast. The way it encourages you to stay mindful, experiment, and get better is a refreshing vote of confidence, even if it doesn’t always reward the extra effort you’re putting in.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/sniper-elite-4-review/1900-6416614/ - 8

Sniper Elite 4 feels like a natural progression for this series, as Rebellion continues to refine its systems and put a greater emphasis on the long-range shooting it does so well. Its stealth and action mechanics may be simplistic, but they're functional and regularly enjoyable. And the maps--with their impressive scale, open-ended objectives, and clever level design--coalesce these disparate systems into a creative and fulfilling whole. There are still some issues with AI inconsistency, a bland story, and some dull competitive multiplayer, but it finally feels like this series is living up to its long-standing potential.

http://www.gamesradar.com/sniper-elite-4-review/ - 4/5

Huge levels and an incredible array of new ways to take down your targets make Sniper Elite 4 a killer addition to the stealthy series

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-13-sniper-elite-4-review_8 -

Rough edges such as these seem to be part of the territory when it comes to Sniper Elite, and while it's a smoother ride than what's gone before this is still far from a premium product. The writing is uniformly horrendous (doge references aren't particularly welcome anywhere in 2017, least of all in mission text for a WW2-themed video game), while the character models show the age of Rebellion's Asura engine in their leaden creakiness. Good thing, then, that the storyline here is entirely forgettable, each cut-scene being eminently skippable.

Such blemishes aren't enough to mask the brilliance that shines through here. Rebellion has folded in the essence of stealth greats such as Splinter Cell and Metal Gear while keeping the characterful flavour of Sniper Elite itself, and for the first time it's not necessary to make any excuses on its behalf. Sniper Elite 4 is a really good video game. It's as simple as that.

• Upvote 7

Will pick IV up once I've polished off III, or at least got as far as I can before the urge to upgrade becomes too strong. Looks bloomin' great.

Good to read that long-range shooting has greater emphasis. Sounds daft but so far in III I've just as many kills with the pistol as I do the rifle. It's fun getting close and distracting enemies with a rock or flint before popping them off, but nothing close to nailing a sniped kill.

Great videos. I loved Sniper Elite 1/V2. Disappointed the devs removed the scoring mechanic for SEIII but I really enjoyed the game so I'm interested in this new one.

Can you turn off all the aids? I hate icons on the screen, I don't want objective markers floating in the air, I don't want enemies appearing on the map, and I detest the function in games to 'spot' enemies so they magically appear visible through walls. Can I use binoculars without it auto spotting? Can I turn off visual and audio clues that I'm about to be seen? Basically can I turn all shite off that makes the game easier to give a me a harder more tense experience?

• Upvote 3

There's a fair few HUD options I can check tomorrow maybe.

There's also different difficulties that mention awareness/hud/ballistics (and I think I saw a custom one) - the above is 'normal'- there were two more above it

Spotting isn't auto with binoculars so yes for sure there :)

• Upvote 1

Cheers, well that's good at least. I'd like to know if the map can be turned off altogether. Watching a stream now....the size of the map and the ability to tackle areas how you like certainly looks impressive.

If you enjoyed the other games then this is a perfect evolution. The map design is utterly superb. 

Only on the first mission and the way of tackling the objectives is totally sandbox.  

Playing on hard but might restart on the highest difficulty. Like karzee i don't want any map or pointers. 

It's really great fun 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Dave White said:

If you enjoyed the other games then this is a perfect evolution. The map design is utterly superb. 

Is there enough there for long-standing SE players, do you think?  I still play 2, 3 and Zombie Army when I feel like a Sniper Elite fix, and from the videos, it looks a lot like it's more of the same. 

Hehe, having fun watching those videos. In fact, had fun yesterday watching YouTube vids of the game and picking out members of the dev team that people were shooting/blowing up :)

Yeah, authentic turns everything off, while increasing the enemy AI. Briefly dabbled with it during III, before scurrying back to a lower difficulty, and it makes things tense.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Is the up close combat improved at all? The actual sniping in this series is great, but it all goes a bit Benny Hill when you have to use your side arms. 

I've done this game for 2-3 hour and it's my first.

If I had to get close to shoot - it felt like a bit of me being a FAILURE in a Sniper Game. Close up was about stealth/trip mines. Big open map felt built for snipe.

Had one machine gun fire during an early fairly and it was...ok? The pistol is pretty good.

Melee close up is "press triangle"

1 hour ago, Nathan Wind said:

Is there enough there for long-standing SE players, do you think?  I still play 2, 3 and Zombie Army when I feel like a Sniper Elite fix, and from the videos, it looks a lot like it's more of the same. 

totally, obviously more of the same but the maps are superb and if you like the genre its a no brainer.

The custom game settings are brilliant as you can enhance the game to your preferred liking, , I dont like the aim assist and have that and the map removed, enemy ai ramped up.

Without the aim assist im logically measuring the distance but havng a bit of trouble, does the bar at the top signify wind and direction? it would make sense if so. its far more rewarding this way and especially if you set the ammo pick ups to hardcore.

• Upvote 2