IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

I bought it again today, on my steam deck (spoiler: it runs very well on high settings and a 40fps lock). 

It’s the pc directors cut version, so can anyone tell me when I get the half life 2 stuff?

I’m not in the camp of thinking it’s a classic really. I like a lot of the gameplay aspects for sure, and it’s a lovely looking game with style coming out of the wazoo.

However I think it’s the most egregious example yet of no-one being able to stand up to Kojima and telling him that as a storyteller and director he’s fucking shit and that there’s no shame in asking people for help. 

Great ideas but so hopelessly told I just couldn’t enjoy it as much as I’d have liked to.

On 01/07/2022 at 13:02, meatbin said:

Has anyone replayed this yet?  Is it as rewarding as the first playthrough?

I'm thinking about doing it, seeing all these recent impressions has got me keen to play, although this time I think I'll skip most cut-scenes.

I replayed it when the DC came out.  Having absolutely rinsed it on release, I still ended up putting a huge number of hours in on my second playthrough, and did things I'd somehow completely missed the first time around.  I possibly enjoyed it even more the second time through, as I wasn't too worried about trying to make sense of the story.

Obviously as I was trying to get to sleep last night my mind started thinking of this game. Specifically the opening lines to the lullaby/ BB's Theme "See the sunset, the day is ending" and I wondered why it never goes dark in Death Stranding. How cool would it be to see these landscapes illuminated by moonlight? Plus there would be areas of pitch dark which could be lit up by "chiral" lighting but which would also inexplicably attract BTs.

I fell asleep eventually.

I’ve just finished the Mama chapter and every time I think this game can’t impress me any more something else happens or opens up.

Im currently obsessed with building various transport mechanisms between all the key points in the central map, completely distracting me from the main quest but the sense of achievement I’m getting from that activity is ridiculous. It’s just so enjoyable spending time in this world no matter what you are doing. 

8 hours ago, MardiganX said:

I’m on Chapter 11. Have I passed the bit where things are meant to get terribly slow or has that still to come?

Yes, I think that was about Chapter 4 or whatever.

I've just finished it. Like totally finished it and I'm not really sure how to talk about it. My overwhelming feeling right now is shame. Shame at not playing this fucking masterpiece sooner. I will gather myself and talk more about my experience of some specific things but right now. Fuck me. Truly breathtaking on so many levels!

Sounds about right.  It's such an amazing experience.

I so tempted to start my 3rd playthrough, but I want to wait until it's cold outside.  Especially for when you start heading into the mountains.

10 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I've just finished it. Like totally finished it and I'm not really sure how to talk about it. My overwhelming feeling right now is shame. Shame at not playing this fucking masterpiece sooner. I will gather myself and talk more about my experience of some specific things but right now. Fuck me. Truly breathtaking on so many levels!

Yup! It's an incredible game!

I waited on this because I was pretty sure how I’d feel about it, but have now started it through PS Plus. I’m intrigued by the gameplay and enjoying it so far despite not really understanding the various mechanics. But I’m hating the cut scenes as much as I expected. So my question is… can I just skip them? Or is it all genuinely integral and worthwhile?

Hmm, it will be extremely confusing as to what's going on without some of the cutscenes. But in terms of gameplay I would say most of the game functions outside of the story. Its worth pointing out that the start of the game is very cutscene heavy, and then the cutscenes drop off dramatically until the final part of the game. For many hours of Death Stranding you will be just roaming around doing missions rather than sat watching the latest revelations from Kojima and co. My main caveat is that there are a few bits in the game, where if you skip the cutscenes I'm not sure how well the game explains what's actually happening and what you need to do.

I'm playing the Directors Cut at the moment, and have just reached chapter 3. I got further than this first time around, but I think I'm close to where I was and I'm loving it now. 

I'm actually really enjoying the cutscenes, and along with reading the emails and interviews I'm finding it quite fun to patch together what on earth is going on. The game certainly doesn't try to ease you in to its rather unique metaphysics.

• 2 weeks later...

How many folk managed to rebuild all the roads? I’m so far past the story being completed it feels like a faded memory but getting up to all sorts of ridiculous shit trying to get fucking Ceramics (which seem to be the most valuable commodity in the entire galaxy) to the desired locations :) 

3 hours ago, MardiganX said:

How many folk managed to rebuild all the roads? I’m so far past the story being completed it feels like a faded memory but getting up to all sorts of ridiculous shit trying to get fucking Ceramics (which seem to be the most valuable commodity in the entire galaxy) to the desired locations :) 

I built them all (the roads over that swampy bit in the mid western side of the map took loads of ceramics) and it was very satisfying. What you really need though is an extensive network of zip lines that allow you to traverse the entire map at super speed.