IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

Barely made a start to episode 3 last night as I went back to the first area to take care of some business. 

Loving it, only grumble is that the enemies are a bit crap - the mules are pathetic wimps and the BTs are just a pain in the arse. 

And just who the hell are Hartman and Mama?? They keep telling Reedus what to do but I've got no idea who they are. 

Had put about 20hrs into this on PS4 when it first came out, so decided to restart it from the beginning on PS5. First thoughts......

It looks and sounds stunning but I can’t stop switching between Ultra Wide and normal quality mode. Fuck’s sake! The cutscenes go on and on and on and despite looking awesome are riddled with ludicrous shit that makes no sense at all. Bit like the story of the game itself then.

The gameplay is daft as a brush but it’s that daft it goes all the way around the Daft-o-meter and then carries on towards genius. That might be pushing it a bit but, I love how it basically IS a walking sim. Like this is the shit you do when up in the peaks or lakes camping, fuelled by Cider, picking your way across the landscape back to your tent, wobbling all over the shop. Picking all the dropped items up like you’re litter picking and completing the deliveries is compulsive but I found doing that burnt me out on it before and I lost interest.

Think I gave up after 20hrs on PS4 mainly because the cutscenes and story did my nut in......and then the walking lost its novelty, mainly down to the Mrs saying “Instead of playing that shit, why don’t you just go a real walk”.......so I took the dog out and never fired the game up again! Hahaha. Hopefully will get past the 20hr mark and finish it this time. I don’t always get on with Kojima’s stuff but I always find that I want to play it and give it a fair go.

22 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

And just who the hell are Hartman and Mama?? They keep telling Reedus what to do but I've got no idea who they are. 

Each character in the cast has their own chapter, you'll get to theirs eventually (they're the best ones).

Put 5hrs into this and I’m already struggling. Been playing Kena Bridge of Spirits (awesome game) and 1hr playing that involves 1hr of actual gameplay. Put this on for an hr and it’s been 45mins of cutscenes, endless talking that mainly involves in depth explanations of seemingly everything......ever, then more talking..........then more ludicrously pretentious in-depth explaining about the chiral network, timefall, voidouts, BB, silent mothers, BTs, shit on a stick.......followed by menu diving, and even more explanations of explanations in menus within menus about the chiral network  timefall, voidouts, BB, silent mothers, BTs etc. Then i get to play again......”WAHOOOOO”.........but some cunt immediately chimes in and starts rambling on about the chiral network, timefall, voidouts, BB, silent mothers, BTs and on and on and on. Finally the game leaves me alone, just wandering along, chilling out and taking in the views and BOOM......unavoidable BT section that’s about as much fun as getting kicked in the balls.

Swear down, in the 5 hrs that’s on the clock I’ve only “played” for about 1hr 30mins and the rest I’ve just been sitting listening to a load of proper hot waffle. I just want to wander about and relax, taking in the views, picking a way across the landscape and making deliveries. Does all the waffling and explaining shit drop off at some point to make it worth while with the gameplay part? Also, is there a worthwhile story that develops to keep you playing?

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Within 30 mins of "playing" this I knew I'd made a mistake in buying the upgrade. Still, it's only a £5 mistake, so not all bad.

Well I’ve played for 25hrs across PS4 and PS5, so had my money’s worth! I really like the graphics and audio, the landscape, chilling out wandering along picking a way through the rocks or up a hillside, or figuring out where’s best to cross a river or use ladders, ropes etc. Underneath all the shite it feels like there’s something great there. Sort of like Flight Simulator, just give me an accurate chunk of the Lakes or somewhere to go wandering in and explore around. Or an online racing game where you have to navigate the checkpoints and get to the finish - Fell Runner 2022!!! 

It’s mental that I’m over 5hrs in and the game is still throwing endless cutscenes, tutorials and explanations at me, at a rate that makes it difficult to take it all in and keep up with what’s happening! The way everything is endlessly explained in the cutscenes is just totally mental too. Show don’t tell innit! Job done!

Edit: So it turns out Fell Runner 2022 is already a thing! Just done my first timed delivery! :) Game has finally just let me play for a bit. Did the Wind Farm delivery - coming back over the tops and dropping down into the valley as the music kicked in was quality. Fixed the Trike up, which I somehow missed out on PS4, then rode down the river collecting dropped parcels before doing a long walk back to Capital Knot City to drop stuff off. Really enjoyed that, proper relaxing! Definitely a Marmite game though!

I’ve got no fucking idea what is going on in this game. 

Not talking about the story, it’s Kojima, it’s bonkers, it’s fine. 

I mean the gameplay. I’m maybe 5-6 hours in and I just can’t make head nor tail of any of it. 

Why is is always raining? I’m seeing signs that say ‘shelter here’ but it just never fucking stops. 

How do I repel BTs? I’ve got some grenade thing which is supposed to stop them but does fuck all. They’re just annoying. 

What are likes and why do I need them and why am I giving them? I’ve got a ‘porter grade’ but it just gives me a score, is that all it does?

The latest thing it’s asking me to do at the terminal is harvest materials and it’s asking me how much I need? For what? How do I find out how much I need?

Feel like I should watch one of those ‘things I wish I’d know earlier’ videos or something but I hate doing that. 

I love the setting and the atmosphere and it looks absolutely remarkable but I wish the modern gaming curse of over-complexity wasn’t bashing me over the head so hard as I get older.  

2 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I’ve got no fucking idea what is going on in this game. 

Not talking about the story, it’s Kojima, it’s bonkers, it’s fine. 

I mean the gameplay. I’m maybe 5-6 hours in and I just can’t make head nor tail of any of it. 

Why is is always raining? I’m seeing signs that say ‘shelter here’ but it just never fucking stops. 

How do I repel BTs? I’ve got some grenade thing which is supposed to stop them but does fuck all. They’re just annoying. 

What are likes and why do I need them and why am I giving them? I’ve got a ‘porter grade’ but it just gives me a score, is that all it does?

The latest thing it’s asking me to do at the terminal is harvest materials and it’s asking me how much I need? For what? How do I find out how much I need?

Feel like I should watch one of those ‘things I wish I’d know earlier’ videos or something but I hate doing that. 

I love the setting and the atmosphere and it looks absolutely remarkable but I wish the modern gaming curse of over-complexity wasn’t bashing me over the head so hard as I get older.  

Fucking hell! What have you been doing for the first 5-6hrs, as all it does is explain stuff over and over and over again! :)

There’s waaaaaay too much to take in all at once though and the menus are mess, but to try and answer your questions......

Raining = Timefall. It ages and damages stuff including cargo. The BTs only turn up when it’s raining too. 

You use the Grenades as far as I know to battle the BTs. I agree with you though, the whole BT mechanic is just annoying but obviously it’s also a big part of the story.

All the “Likes” stuff seems to be Kojima making some kind of incredibly “clever” comment. It’s also just taking something that’s popular with millions of people and sticking in a game.....which is pretty clever when you think about it. One of the best bits of the game is how you build stuff and share stuff with other players and help each other out.

Niot sure about the Porter Score. You get rated for each delivery though, so maybe it has some impact on gameplay itself.

I think Minerals can be recycled or used for building stuff. Everything you need to know (and endless amounts of stuff you’d never, ever, EVER want to know) will be in the menus. Like I say, the first 5hrs or so are just an endless barrage of cutscenes, explaining and menu diving. There’s just far too much to take in, constantly being thrown at you. 

F the story, don’t think the game is about getting from A to B in the story it’s really about creating ways to get from A to B in the world they laid out for you. Once you get to the middle section and it’s Infrastructure Builder Simulator where you’re just delivering materials for roads and zip lines and rinsing likes for likes it will all make sense.

On 01/10/2021 at 18:57, Alex W. said:

You say that, but when I started paving roads I got enough likes to jump 40 levels in cooperation overnight.

You're not kidding, when I signed in earlier I'd got 1000 likes for something :blink:

Weirdly though, my structures never get any likes at all. I mean I build them after the network has been connected so they should be online.. Who knows. I'm really enjoying this, never played anything like it. 

3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

never played anything like it. 

This is the point. It’s so unique. You have to admire it. I’m about 70% in and need to go back and finish it. I’ve really enjoyed all I’ve played. 

Yeah man, get back on there. 

Had my first game over yesterday - episode 3 spoilers 

Spoiler

where you "have" to deliver a nuke to South Knot. At first I just trotted in with it, expecting something to happen other than it going off. Nope. Had to look it up that you're meant to chuck it in the lake nearby. No idea how I was supposed to know that. 

Really warmed up to this over a couple of extended sessions this weekend. A lot of the irritations of the first few hours fell away as mechanics and tools were introduced to deal with them. Grenades for BTs so I actually feel like I have a fighting chance against them and a snazzy pair of skeleton legs which gave me the ability to not totter around like 3-hour old baby fawn.

Changing the way I was playing and stopping worrying about doing every single order or picking up every piece of lost cargo and just mainlining the priority orders  has helped and also getting rid of the shit vehicles and just enjoying the wandering. I'm now at that point where I feel like ditching all that completely and just farming resources to build some roads and bridges. Always a sign of a good open world game when you just want to fanny about in it and not worry too much about the clock. It's such a unique experience overall.

I also really love the way things can go to shit very quickly. I was having a nice and serene womble along the river and wandered in to a mule camp territory. I tried to make a run for it across a river but got in too deep just as the mules came over the rocks, I stumbled and dropped my packages just on the edge of a waterfall and watched them all float away, so I'm just chasing after them with mules up my arse, I'm trying to pick stuff up whilst trying to electrocute them whilst trying not to drown. Abrupt chaos, love it.

Still not so keen on the relentless inventory management and cumbersome menus and batshit mental UI but getting used to it as I do with so many games that feel the need to introduce a new weapon or tool or new currency every five minutes without giving me a chance to try out the last one.

I'm loving this. It's so weird and full of surprises. Although you're shown the impact of a voidout in a cut scene very early on, I was properly thrown by seeing the in-game impact of a voidout caused by Sam when things went wrong for me during a walk through the mountains in the first couple of levels. I'm midway through episode 3 now and it keeps throwing new stuff into the mix. Really excellent stuff.

It really does. I honestly thought ‘I think I hate this game’ after the first 5 or 6 hours but love it now. 

My advice would be make a beeline for Chapter 3 (head to the port as soon as you can) and things really open up and you have so much in your arsenal to play it the way you want to play it. You can get back to the first main area and complete the orders there later if you want.

When you start to interact with the world and other players structures it feels like such a living world. Logged in tonight and had 5k likes waiting for me. I fucking hate Facebook and social media in general but man that felt good.  

57 hours to finish. I'll definitely have more to say once I've let it settle, but I think I loved this. It's completely unique and incredibly imaginative, in a world where those words are bandied around far too often. I've always felt like Kojima's games got in the way of themselves, with endless tinkering with mechanics and easter eggs getting in the way of gameplay, or endless cutscenes making them feel claustrophobic and a bit dull at the same time. And though it goes full Kojima in the final couple of hours (mostly in a good way) it earns it by letting the player soak in the atmosphere while trekking from place to place in the expansive middle section.

Half way through I got completely obsessed with building all the roads, and ended up building every single road on the map. Every time I signed in I'd have another 20-30k likes. It's so weirdly gratifying to know that all of the work I did helped other players avoid the various annoyances the game throws at you. 

It's not perfect by any means, far from it, with some notable problems around unpolished mechanics, creaky boss fights and an abundance of snagging nouns and acronyms, but I'm incredibly eager to experience whatever Kojima Productions do next. I want to see something as different from this as this is to MGS. Keep giving Kojima blank cheques to make confounding weird marmite games and I'll keep showing up.

It's also a brilliantly cinematic game in ultrawide, despite me having some problems actually running it to run in my resolution (I had to hex edit the executable!) I'm not even sure how a lot of shots translate to standard widescreen as they seem to fill the space afforded by ultrawide so naturally.

On 04/10/2021 at 08:07, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah man, get back on there. 

Had my first game over yesterday - episode 3 spoilers 

Hide contents

where you "have" to deliver a nuke to South Knot. At first I just trotted in with it, expecting something to happen other than it going off. Nope. Had to look it up that you're meant to chuck it in the lake nearby. No idea how I was supposed to know that. 

It's been a long time, but I recall there being some hint. Maybe I'm mistaken or getting confused with a different game. Maybe it was when

Spoiler

you check the contents of the package, diehardman chimes in with "omg snake it's a bomb, throw it in the lake!", something along those lines?

That's strange. When I did the nuke mission, a great big tool tip appeared on screen when I arrived at the lake explaining how to throw items. I'm pretty sure Die Hardman chimed in at the same time telling me to throw the nuke in. Also if you do an earlier mission for the Junk Dealer it covers throwing stuff into the lake too.

I struggled with the nuke mission too and had to look it up, I think the same thing happened to me.

The other thing I struggled with was a body going necro and being told constantly that I need to dispose of it, but I couldn’t find it anywhere. Eventually I had a voidout and was forced to load an old save, then I spent three hours looking for a body that I still couldn’t find, before realising that once the voidout occurs and you reload, the body disappears and you don’t have to deal with it. What a strange, pointless, counterintuitive mechanic. Other than that I didn’t have any issues with the mechanics and systems. 

Re: Nuke mission:

Spoiler

There's a cutscene with Fragile if you stop off in the private room in... *looks up the name of place for the hundredth time* Distribution Centre South of Lake Knot City (the middle one along the main North/South road). I only found out because I also looked it up. So I'm guessing you can do that and she tells you to dump it in the lake (with a countdown timer), or you can just go straight to the lake?

3 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Re: Nuke mission:

Hide contents

There's a cutscene with Fragile if you stop off in the private room in... *looks up the name of place for the hundredth time* Distribution Centre South of Lake Knot City (the middle one along the main North/South road). I only found out because I also looked it up. So I'm guessing you can do that and she tells you to dump it in the lake (with a countdown timer), or you can just go straight to the lake?

Ah, I probably stopped there on the way over. That's why.