Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

I have fired up the ps4 version on PS5 so no local save available but it's also not in my cloud saves. Which has proper pissed me off! 

This happened to me on FF7R, had to start over. Thanks Sony.

Great to be back on this. It's such a meditative experience a lot of the time, planning routes between places and taking those long walks to out if the way areas.

I said before that it's a game that, for much of it, I couldn't tell you if I was actually enjoying myself but that I loved it anyway. This remains true, it's a brilliant game despite frustrations.

Any tips on what you're supposed to do at the start of the second zone? It gives me a recipe for a smoke decoy, which all of the MULEs completely ignore because they want to fistfight me 6v1 even though I'm hiding behind a rock miles away from the orange pulsing circle in which I've dropped the decoy. Am I just supposed to fight them?

How do I get the bind with strand prompt to appear? It seemed to appear every time without fail in the first zone to the point where I was binding four or five of them in a fight, but it's not showing up any more.

Given all the bad things that happen when I get knocked out, I'm better off just alt-F4ing out right?

10 minutes ago, Moz said:

Any tips on what you're supposed to do at the start of the second zone? It gives me a recipe for a smoke decoy, which all of the MULEs completely ignore because they want to fistfight me 6v1 even though I'm hiding behind a rock miles away from the orange pulsing circle in which I've dropped the decoy. Am I just supposed to fight them?

How do I get the bind with strand prompt to appear? It seemed to appear every time without fail in the first zone to the point where I was binding four or five of them in a fight, but it's not showing up any more.

Given all the bad things that happen when I get knocked out, I'm better off just alt-F4ing out right?

Don't worry about stealthing it. Sam could take on a hundred mules and not break a sweat, just punch them all unconscious, then upgrade to the Bolas when you can and any non-lethal upgrades.

If you get knocked out you just wake up and have to go get your shit back I hear - I've never been knocked out so I'm not 100% on this, but that's what I heard. It's if you die that bad stuff happens.

Thanks mate. I figured out what I was doing wrong - you can't counter with the strand when you're crouched. As soon as I realised that I was back to tying up hordes of them again. Cheers :)

Okay, I've definitely reached the point of my PS4 save and i now remember why i probably got pissed off and shelved it, because the end section of Episode 5 is soooooo long winded and laborious.

Gonna save it for next weekend. I need some downtime. I've played nearly 30 hours since Friday. :o

So...i couldn't help myself. :blush: Spent all afternoon setting up a network of zip lines across the mountain region.

Its so satisfying scouting out the area, sometimes in a whitewash blizzard, looking for that perfect spot that links your previous placement and someone elses online, giving you even more accessibilty. I've been zipping around from Station to Station like there's no tomorrow!

Only problem is crafting so many PPC2's has been eating up all my resources. I have loads of stuff stored in Private Lockers, but they're all miles away, and you can't fast travel with goods on you. Whats the best course of action for quick, easy material farm? Go raid the local Mule camps/postboxes? I'm okay for Chiral Crystals cause i've killed so many mini-bosses.

Cracking game! So glad i replayed from the start cause i wouldn't have been this commited otherwise.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

So...i couldn't help myself. :blush: Spent all afternoon setting up a network of zip lines across the mountain region.

Its so satisfying scouting out the area, sometimes in a whitewash blizzard, looking for that perfect spot that links your previous placement and someone elses online, giving you even more accessibilty. I've been zipping around from Station to Station like there's no tomorrow!

Only problem is crafting so many PPC2's has been eating up all my resources. I have loads of stuff stored in Private Lockers, but they're all miles away, and you can't fast travel with goods on you. Whats the best course of action for quick, easy material farm? Go raid the local Mule camps/postboxes? I'm okay for Chiral Crystals cause i've killed so many mini-bosses.

Cracking game! So glad i replayed from the start cause i wouldn't have been this commited otherwise.

I also set up a big network of zip lines across the whole central map. I imagine some might think it makes the game too easy, but it took so much work I reckon I’ve earned it.

I’m on the home stretch now. I played about 20 hours from Friday and then ended up loading my Edge Knot City PS4 save over. Was great to start playing again from the start but I’d already built all the roads and five starred most of the centre of the map on my old save. I just couldn’t face all that work again.

As it draws to a close, I’m starting to think this might pip the post as my favourite game ever (previously Dark Souls). It’s just such an amazing experience.

53 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I also set up a big network of zip lines across the whole central map. I imagine some might think it makes the game too easy, but it took so much work I reckon I’ve earned it.

You mad man! :lol:

While i do appreciate your dedication, the only part of the Central Zone that i would consider it useful is the parts that look like the Giant's Causeway. Other than that its full-speed on a bike with your front wheel lifted slightly so you jump the baby rocks. And there are so many Show Off-Jump stuctures online (some in ridiculous, suicide loctations) that getting from A to B is soooo fast its insane!

Can you extend the Zip Line range beyond 300(m?) If so, i'll definitely start thinking about retroactively fitting that area. Just the thought gets me excited. :wub:

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Can you extend the Zip Line range beyond 300(m?) If so, i'll definitely start thinking about retroactively fitting that area. Just the thought gets me excited. :wub:

The first upgrade for a zipline tacks 50m on to it as far as I remember, but that could easily be from 250 up to 300 instead of 300 to 350.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

You mad man! :lol:

While i do appreciate your dedication, the only part of the Central Zone that i would consider it useful is the parts that look like the Giant's Causeway. Other than that its full-speed on a bike with your front wheel lifted slightly so you jump the baby rocks. And there are so many Show Off-Jump stuctures online (some in ridiculous, suicide loctations) that getting from A to B is soooo fast its insane!

Yeah, but with zip lines it’s REALLY fast :)

I found them especially useful when carting stuff up to the Elder. Such a pain getting up there!

44 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Yeah, but with zip lines it’s REALLY fast :)

I found them especially useful when carting stuff up to the Elder. Such a pain getting up there!

I'm upgrading the highway in that area as we speak, and i can already see a network of zip lines the other side of the river (the problem area).

I'll check em out tomorrow, then maybe revise the optimal pathways. 😅

I finally realised how to retrieve and recycle old materials into efficient bundles and stack them onto a truck so i can full speed to the checkpoint on the Online Highway that needs mats.

Why doesn't the game help explain this crucial aspect? Or am i just blind/stupid? :lol:

This is a great game but what stops it being truely great is the physics.

I understand they are using Decima which is literally just a really nice looking map making waypoint game engine with very little of anything else. They made the most of it.

The bike is pretty terrible. If that bike had the physics you would expect, like Trials for example it would be amazing.

I’m up to where I was on my original play through. Much more efficient this time round, no messing about.

A couple of warnings for people upgrading from PS4 to ps5:

The items in you utility pouches and grenade pouches will disappear if you don't put them into a locker before saving / exporting. 

If you relied on online users zip lines for your network you will be in a world of pain replacing those with you own, as you get a new set of online structures when moving to ps5. 

Today i spent way too many hours building highways between all the usual suspect UCA Facilities and even managed the detours around the far edges of the map.

I thought it was a job well done!...then i noticed the (ridiculously) expensive path up the mountain!! :blink:

Yeah it’s great. Enjoying it much more.

It sometimes gets on my tits though. The bike is tragic in it’s implementation. The way the camera jolts up and down when running over terrain. The canned animations while falling or stumbling. The collisions etc

Its the way kojima makes his games coupled with an engine that has all of its focus and resources dedicated to rendering and literally nothing else.