IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

I loved playing this game, and consider it a masterpiece. 

However, there is absolutely no chance I ever want to revisit it, or replay. 

Difficult to express why, but it was an incredible experience at the time of playing, but perhaps best saved as a one-off. I really don't want to re-enter that confusing and bloated story again, or to let anything taint my original playthrough memories. 

I never got round to this so I’ve preordered the directors cut. I didn’t buy it at the time, and the DC version is £45, which is the same as the PS4 version so it seemed silly to buy that version, start it now and have to pay to upgrade it. 

18 hours ago, meatbin said:

I loved playing this game, and consider it a masterpiece. 

However, there is absolutely no chance I ever want to revisit it, or replay. 

Difficult to express why, but it was an incredible experience at the time of playing, but perhaps best saved as a one-off. I really don't want to re-enter that confusing and bloated story again, or to let anything taint my original playthrough memories. 

For me it was genius because this came out in the middle of the start of the pandemic, where the population had gone into hiding, the air was unsafe, the only thing you could do was walk and collect internet likes to feel connected and the delivery driver was King. That and covering the entire map with zip lines.

Just now, mikeyl said:

For me it was genius because this came out in the middle of the start of the pandemic, where the population had gone into hiding, the air was unsafe, the only thing you could do was walk and collect internet likes to feel connected and the delivery driver was King. That and covering the entire map with zip lines.

Don't forget the lack of handshakes, and uses of masks!    I played it at the same time, it felt eerily connected.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

For me it was genius because this came out in the middle of the start of the pandemic

I can’t help myself but the first covid case was reported Dec 31st 2019 and Death Stranding released on 8th November 2019.

I think my only worry about the Director's Cut is that there won't be a way to play the stripped back original. I loved the story in the original but the pacing was off and it needed harsher editing. But the best bit for me was the middle third of the game where I was making deliveries and building up infrastructure and where the biggest hurdles were the weather turning or trying to navigate uneven landscapes on foot where tripping over a rock could screw you over.

The Gran Turismo of walking simulators.

Don't get me wrong, this version is going to make the game much more accessible to a wider audience and in some ways it looks like it's almost being transformed into the Metal Gear Solid 6 that a huge contingent of fans wanted.

I'm glad I got to play it in it's original state though.

2 hours ago, K said:

I’m still plugging away at this, currently approaching the end of chapter 8, and am hugely enjoying it. I’m even enjoying the story - it’s mad, and complete nonsense, but also extremely imaginative and unusual. I’d much rather play something that goes off on this kind of nutty tangent than another game that riffs on Aliens or Black Hawk Down; it paints a really vivid picture of a world brought down by a surreal disaster, and is thematically quite interesting as well, even if each theme is hammered home with a pneumatic drill. There’s a lot of characters with names like Voiceman who lost their voice while watching the Voice and listening to ‘You’re the Voice’ by John Farnham, and who formed an organisation called the Vox to help provide a metaphorical voice to the people of America. But it’s fairly easy to suspend your disbelief, or at least to adapt to the inherent Kojimiosity of it all. The few sections with classic Kojima creepiness are less easy to ignore, but are fortunately pretty rare so far. 

The game is great too. It’s slow but extremely compelling, and the sheer variety of landscapes is fantastic. Building roads across the plains feels completely different to yomping across a snowdrift on top of a mountain. And I really like the way that it doesn’t tell you much about how to deal with BTs and their various behaviours, so you have to experiment with these weird, incomprehensible, extremely dangerous beings. And it’s one of the few games where death is really meaningful, so even casual encounters are very tense. 

Yes! You’ve basically largely summed up exactly why I loved the game so much! 

I’ve got the PS4 version and played about 20 hours of it. I was absolutely loving it then I just stopped because I’m an idiot. 
I’ve been really wanting to go back to it but decided to wait for the PS5 upgrade but am now a bit worried it’s going to smoothe out the edges of something I was really enjoying the slow pace of. Do I just jump back into the old game or wait for fun triggers/rumble and take whatever that brings with it?

I’m on the train thinking about this game, and I laughed out loud when I remembered that at the end of the game, 

Spoiler

the president of America is a guy called Die-Hardman. That’s not his real name, obviously. That would be ridiculous.

His real name is John McClane. 

I keep starting this, playing for a few hours then giving up as I just get totally confused as to what I’m supposed to be delivering and where to. 

Then a few months go by and I start again.

Does anyone else have this issue? I find all the text on objectives very confusing and am often unsure what to load up when I do set off 

2 minutes ago, sandman said:

I keep starting this, playing for a few hours then giving up as I just get totally confused as to what I’m supposed to be delivering and where to. 

Then a few months go by and I start again.

Does anyone else have this issue? I find all the text on objectives very confusing and am often unsure what to load up when I do set off 

Same. First time round I did about 30 hours , second time round I got to where I was in about 3. Will get the upgrade and hope i can actually start it again and finish it. I like it a lot but the delivery thing is a little monotonous (says the guy who finished snowrunner and is now going through the dlc waiting for the year 2 pass to start next week and spent 3 hours trying to deliver 2 stacks of medium logs to the sawmill last night to make planks to build a bridge to get to the quarry to get some sand to craft bricks to open the paper factory…) 

The gameplay is an obvious limitation of the engine. All it can do is render nice scenery and then place invisible trigger circles on a map that activate or reactive stuff/NPCs but at least it does it in style and with a little dash of secret sauce.

Saw this pop up for sale on Steam so decided to pick it up for a second play through. It looks VERY nice running at 4K/120fps I must say. Already totally  absorbed by it all over again

15 hours ago, K said:

I’m on the train thinking about this game, and I laughed out loud when I remembered that at the end of the game, 

Reveal hidden contents

the president of America is a guy called Die-Hardman. That’s not his real name, obviously. That would be ridiculous.

His real name is John McClane. 

Spoiler

And how out of nowhere he has an amazingly melodramatic monologue that has THE BEST FACIAL ANIMATION EVER IN A VIDEOGAME. Like, freakishly virtually no uncanny valley effect good.

On 04/09/2021 at 23:11, Flanders said:

Hide contents

And how out of nowhere he has an amazingly melodramatic monologue that has THE BEST FACIAL ANIMATION EVER IN A VIDEOGAME. Like, freakishly virtually no uncanny valley effect good.

The character models in this are generally insanely high quality. Fragile and Sam look pretty much photorealistic, and even the side characters like Edgar Wright and the other preppers and Bridges employees don't have that dropoff in quality you get in games, where the character models get gradually less detailed the more peripheral they are to the story. I guess they're mostly scanned from real people, and there are a pretty limited number of NPCs (both in terms of the total number, and the fact you rarely see more than one or two at a time), but it's still very impressive.

It’s still shocking to me that this was coming out a PS4 Slim in real time:

88AD231E-7F3C-4423-ACBA-32BC58646016.thumb.png.7d2abe91dcd33a75ee765508bd516f48.png

That’s not a press kit image or anything, just one of many random screenshots of characters I took because, damn, that is some good work.

• 2 weeks later...