IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

40 minutes ago, Hodge said:

Brought it last week, do it.  Looks phenomenal on PC using RTX card and DLSS.  Get a solid 4k 60fps maxed on my 2070 and looks lovely on my CX OLED 😃. The game and story is bonkers.  One of the better AAA titles I played in a long time.  TBH I think its Kojimas best work since Snatcher and MGS1

Hmmm…I’ll have to slum it on my 1900x1200 monitor and AMD 5600XT

Played the first 90 minutes of this tonight and it blew me away. The atmosphere its going for is something else and I'm really looking forward to playing more. 

Running beautifully on my new gaming laptop with DLSS and max settings. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

It picks up a bit in chapter 26.

It’s still roaringly atmospheric and I’m still loving it but it does feel a bit like a job at times. The landscape just about manages to save those parts. Best terrain system in a game? 

Can’t stop, got a big hike to do. 

During the experience that was the ending I just started tweeting about it. It went on for so long. Thread starts here if you're easily amused, zero spoilers btw:

Edit: halfway through the ending this was the point I'd McFucking had it for real:

Note the timestamps in both tweets and that I was already watching one instance of ending credits for over half an hour at the time of the first.

8 hours ago, Yiggy said:

It’s still roaringly atmospheric and I’m still loving it but it does feel a bit like a job at times. The landscape just about manages to save those parts. Best terrain system in a game? 

Can’t stop, got a big hike to do. 

It's kind of like the game version of "slow TV" at times. You just have a whole lot of gentle walking to do.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

During the experience that was the ending I just started tweeting about it. It went on for so long. Thread starts here if you're easily amused, zero spoilers btw:

Edit: halfway through the ending this was the point I'd McFucking had it for real:

Note the timestamps in both tweets and that I was already watching one instance of ending credits for over half an hour at the time of the first.

Yep, there's a lot of good stuff in the ending that's suffocated by more stuff. It's like watching a movie with a superfan who insists on pausing the movie every five minutes to deeply explain everything that's just been insinuated.

Kojima needs both more confidence in his audience and a really firm editor. Less is more. If you really need to keep it in there have a deleted scenes option, director's cut option or a choice between "standard" Kojima and "verbose" Kojima.

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Kojima needs both more confidence in his audience and a really firm editor. Less is more. If you really need to keep it in there have a deleted scenes option, director's cut option or a choice between "standard" Kojima and "verbose" Kojima.

It was interesting to read the account of the editor for MGS’s western release, regarding what it was like working with Kojima. He changed certain lines because they seemed too verbose and poetic for a western release. Apparently Kojima loved the new script, until it was pointed out to him just how much had been tweaked then he and the editor had a falling out. Which would certainly explain why the (relatively) taut script of MGS was followed by the convoluted nonsense of MGS2. 

It’s unfortunate that, like David Cage, Kojima seems to insist that his ‘vision’ not be diluted. Success has been both the best and worst thing that could’ve happened to him in terms of being a creative. 

1 hour ago, Unofficial Who said:

Yep, there's a lot of good stuff in the ending that's suffocated by more stuff. It's like watching a movie with a superfan who insists on pausing the movie every five minutes to deeply explain everything that's just been insinuated.

It's literally like this a couple of times (no spoilers obvs):

Sam: what is this?! My best bud?

Villain: this, Sam Porter Bridges is my true self... METAL GEAR! A bipedal tank!

[dramatic reveal music]

Sam: *GASP* *SHOCK* Metal Gear?

Villain: yes, Metal Gears are behemoth machines capable of decimating lesser machines. Metal Gear has the distinction of being nuclear capable, firing warheads from their rail gun, eliminating the need for a missile, or launchpad allowing them to attack targets from anywhere in the world, on any kind of terrain. They were built with the true purpose of connecting the chiral network while acting as a nuclear deterrent. And for *reasons* to achieve *goals* I posed as your best buddy but all along I was secretly a METAL GEAR!

[dramatic reveal music]

Sam: *GASP* *SHOCK*

14 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

It was interesting to read the account of the editor for MGS’s western release, regarding what it was like working with Kojima. He changed certain lines because they seemed too verbose and poetic for a western release. Apparently Kojima loved the new script, until it was pointed out to him just how much had been tweaked then he and the editor had a falling out. Which would certainly explain why the (relatively) taut script of MGS was followed by the convoluted nonsense of MGS2. 

It’s unfortunate that, like David Cage, Kojima seems to insist that his ‘vision’ not be diluted. Success has been both the best and worst thing that could’ve happened to him in terms of being a creative. 

That wasn’t the editor but the English version’s translator, Jeremy Blaustein. A lot of the technical military chatter (“weapons and equipment OSP”, “five five sixers and pineapples”) was stuff he went out and researched and put in place of Kojima’s lines to make it feel more authentic. Also IIRC he punched up Snake’s one liners.

Here’s the article I’m thinking of:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160614161804/http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/metalgear/jeremyblaustein.htm

So he for these Japanese lines that were Kojima’s translations of American terms, or Kojima’s own inventions, Blaustein would go away and figure out either the original English military term or something which read military-like in English. But Kojima seems to have favoured more of a machine translation back to English.

I don't understand how these translators can not love names like Decoy Octopus, Big Boss and Solid Snake. The jarring blend of utter wackiness and realistic military fetishism has always been one of MGS' unique charms. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Here’s the article I’m thinking of:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160614161804/http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/metalgear/jeremyblaustein.htm

So he for these Japanese lines that were Kojima’s translations of American terms, or Kojima’s own inventions, Blaustein would go away and figure out either the original English military term or something which read military-like in English. But Kojima seems to have favoured more of a machine translation back to English.

It's the reverse video game equivalent of Samurai Pizza Cats.

18 hours ago, crisy said:

I don't understand how these translators can not love names like Decoy Octopus, Big Boss and Solid Snake. The jarring blend of utter wackiness and realistic military fetishism has always been one of MGS' unique charms. 

It always felt very ‘Action Force’ to me, so I never thought it was all that strange. I grew up reading comics about Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Serpentor, etc etc. I guess those translators were just not geeky enough.

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That wasn’t the editor but the English version’s translator, Jeremy Blaustein. A lot of the technical military chatter (“weapons and equipment OSP”, “five five sixers and pineapples”) was stuff he went out and researched and put in place of Kojima’s lines to make it feel more authentic. Also IIRC he punched up Snake’s one liners.

That’s the one. I guess I said editor because, to my mind, Blaustein was at least as much of an editor as a translator. The amount of work he put in sounds immense. It was a shitty move for them to just roll it all back for Twin Snakes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally started this last night after buying it just after Christmas. Not many games would choose to have their third mission as 

Spoiler

carrying your dead mum's corpse on your back up a mountain while relaxing music plays. While it's not a choice I'm per se happy with, it's bold and interesting and extremely weird, and that level of commitment to weirdness is admirable.

The look of the game is really astonishing; the rain effect is the best I've ever seen. The dour, gloomy atmosphere and mixture of high-tech and baffling strangeness reminds me a lot of Alien Covenant. Although that said, I'm watching Too Old To Die Young at the same time, and the tone is surprisingly similar - lush visuals, slow pace, and overt disregard for convention. Given his name's prominence in the credits, Kojima has really gotten into Nicholas Winding Refn in the past few years, which is noteworthy as I'd put him down as a Tony Scott / Wachowskis fan based on the Metal Gear games.

One question - it feels like you have to hold L2 and R2 almost all the time when hiking. While I quite enjoy the Hell Universe It's a Knockout vibe of having to balance your pack while you wobble around with the mission 3 payload on your back it feels much easier to just hold down the triggers. Is there any disadvantage to doing so?

I'm really enjoying it so far. There's the occasional moment of unintentional comedy, like Sam asking "why me?" after a lengthy mission briefing explaining why he was chosen, which reminded me a lot of "but why male models?" bit from Zoolander, but the game and the world are deliciously strange and unhinged. I love the feeling of exploring a world where the rules are unclear and anything could be over the next ridge.

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

In case anyone missed it, it has been confirmed that the PS5 upgrade is $10 for those who own the PS4 version.

Out September 24th.

I'm almost too afraid to ask, but do old saves carry over or do we need to play the entire thing again start to finish to see the new stuff?

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Did I read the blog post right that you get the Digital Deluxe content if you’re upgrading?

It seems so. I have just bought the PS4 game for £16.85 and will leave it on the shelf until the upgrade is available. I presume I will have to fully install the PS4 version and then buy the upgrade and then install the PS5 version, but such is life!

It would seem so.

If you already own the PS4 version of Death Stranding, you can get the PS5 Death Stranding Director’s Cut Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade for only [$10, €10].

Buy any version of Death Stranding for PS4 to get the Death Stranding Director’s Cut Digital Deluxe Edition Upgrade for PS5 for the same price mentioned above.

They seem to have stopped quoting the Sterling price on the blog for some reason

14 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I picked this up cheap a few weeks back and have been waiting for the upgrade but @K’s write up just now and all the recent publicity is tempting me to jump in now!

It’s probably in my top three of last gen . Utterly bonkers and utterly unique