IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

2 hours ago, Steven said:

I loved it for about twenty-odd hours and never went back after a short break following a couple of really tedious sessions.

I think I would have given up too if I hadn't made a conscious decision to finish my games about a year ago. I loved the traversal and production values but the encounters with BTs was no fun at all.

12 hours ago, DC said:

This is fucked up. I’d be lying if I said I thought I understood much of what is happening, but I’ve not played that much I guess.

It remains fairly impenetrable throughout to be honest.

I almost think the whole thing is one ginormous piss take from Kojima to see just how much narrative bollocks he can do without anyone calling him out on it. I keep on thinking 'it won't get any sillier than this', and then he trumps it with another baffling display of writing ineptitude.

The game's a whole load of fun, mind! 

How likely is this fucker to get a ‘next gen’ patch for PS5? I’ve had the PS4 disc sat here shrink wrapped for months waiting to be played, but I’m thinking I might be as well holding off in case they give it a proper bump and make it run as next level as the insane looking PC version. Surely PS5 could run it similarly? What’s the hold up?

9 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

How likely is this fucker to get a ‘next gen’ patch for PS5? I’ve had the PS4 disc sat here shrink wrapped for months waiting to be played, but I’m thinking I might be as well holding off in case they give it a proper bump and make it run as next level as the insane looking PC version. Surely PS5 could run it similarly? What’s the hold up?

There's some rumours of a "Complete Edition” on PS5 with some extra story content that didn't make the launch version, God help us, maybe in April or so. I'd not hold off TBH.

More seriously, just making up some extra main story is not something Hideo Kojima's got a lot of history doing, though, Even including previously-deleted content wasn't something he tended to have much interest in. If there was a complete edition I could see them just adding, like, all of the branding tie-ins from the PC or something.

I do feel he is much more keen on doing one thing, and then just moving on to the next one most of the time really. I'm certainly looking forward to the rumoured horror game he might now be doing, as I think his...erm...'unique' brand of story-telling is probably just what the horror genre could do with. As much as I adore Silent Hill - and I really do! - I'd be more than happy to see something done like that with even more bananas stuff going on.

Although, the boss fight with that giant moth still upsets me somewhat ;) 

I’m only on mission 8 or 9 and ‘the buttons’ are coming to get me again. The level of polish here seems incredible though.

I’m having a hard time taking in all the things I’ve been told though, either because I am stupid, there is too much information coming at me or a combination of the two. Are there any good starting guides that don’t spoil things too much or should I just get on with it?

On 31/01/2021 at 14:51, Alex W. said:

More seriously, just making up some extra main story is not something Hideo Kojima's got a lot of history doing, though, Even including previously-deleted content wasn't something he tended to have much interest in. If there was a complete edition I could see them just adding, like, all of the branding tie-ins from the PC or something.

I thought that’s what substance and subsistence were, and twin snakes.

On 01/02/2021 at 20:04, Alex W. said:

If you’ve done chapter 8, then you’ll have been given the first big exposition dump. There’s another one at the end. I don’t think understanding any of it particularly changes the experience. :lol: 

Oh I mean the systems here, the buttons, what is / isn’t important and useful. I know I’ve go not hope of understanding the story but I feel like you’re always expected to be pressing and holding buttons here and I can’t escape the feeling I’ve let slide some of the things I was told early on when something new has popped up.

• 3 months later...

I dunno wether Death Stranding is just underrated, misunderstood, ahead of its time or if it's just me liking quirky games but Death Stranding really is an outstanding piece of entertainment. 
I don't think any other game has ever left me feeling so alone, helpless and fragile as Death Stranding does. 

Games are often used as escapism, a means of stress relief by simply placing you in a fantasy world as the saviour of the universe and I get that it makes more sense booting up a game where you're someone mighty who can easily thwart the opposition, yet it's refreshing that we can have something like Death Stranding that can make you sit at the edge of your seat and forget to breathe for a minute while you try scale a small hill or outrun a few raindrops because you can't remember what button combo activates the brolly. 

I usually hate stealth sections in games, mostly because they feel tacked on and the mechanics aren't really built for stealth but the stealth sections in Death Stranding makes sense and are expertly implemented. I doubt it will ever happen but I'd be happy to have another game set in this weird universe. 

9 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

Can you pause and exit the game mid cutscene and come back? I’m tempted to get this on PC but lengthy cut scenes are a bit troublesome with hose with little kids running around..

You can pause and exit whenever you want but you'll have to revert to your last save. The auto save feature is quite good and the manual save can be done from almost anywhere except when you're in combat/spotted by enemies. 

7 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Tempted to get this on PC for £10 with the voucher on Epic store. 

Brought it last week, do it.  Looks phenomenal on PC using RTX card and DLSS.  Get a solid 4k 60fps maxed on my 2070 and looks lovely on my CX OLED 😃. The game and story is bonkers.  One of the better AAA titles I played in a long time.  TBH I think its Kojimas best work since Snatcher and MGS1