Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I've put about two and a half hours into it so far - and at the very least my £37 investment has been worth it to confirm that my decision to never have children was the correct one.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what to think about it yet, but I want to play more and that's a good sign - the visuals sort of slide between "alright" and "gorgeous", tending more towards the latter and the world has absolute bags of personality. I'm not finding traversal particularly difficult, and it seems as though you can just choose never to fall over by constantly holding down the weight shifting triggers - I'm assuming that this gets a little more complicated later on.

What I do really like is the monsters - I'm a bit disappointed that the BB allows me to see them more clearly, I really loved the early stages where you could just about make out the ghostly outlines in the rain - and of course you've got the brilliant shoulder-flapper thing which is superb, but seems a bit pointless so far because the scan button just puts all the baddies front and centre - but again, this could just be because I'm so early into it.

It's all just a bit Kojima at the moment - the protagonist seems excessively gravelly when he's talking and some of the dialogue feels a bit clunky but the ideas behind it all seem fantastic - I'm genuinely interested in what's going on in the game world, so that's probably a good sign and will keep me trudging forward through the mud. Felt bad about eating live bugs though. Not sure why, but I also fancy a Monster Energy Drink with Taurine now as well.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Herbalizer said:

Strange, i updated all mine before starting.

Might be worth checking your drivers, maybe uninstalling/reinstalling. That said I only tested for 5 or 10 minutes, so maybe the official drivers are still - to use the common parlance - fuxx0red.

16 hours ago, JoeK said:

He also needs to understand that using words in english just because presumably he thinks they’re cool does not make them so.

’DOOMS’

Fucking hell.

I think its his ideas getting lost in translation. He writes his games in Japanese and throw it all in google translate. You see it in all of his games with character names as Punished Snake, Quiet, The Boss AI, Die Hard Man, etc. I'm sure it all sounds great in Japanese but it just sounds weird in English. 

Now when it comes to the writing itself, I'm not sure if some of the writing (Death Stranding) is really bad or if there is some hidden meaning to everything. There are so many "duh" and "that doesn't make sense" moments I dont know what to belive. Game is still enjoyable though. 

Kojima's weird names are one of my favourite things about his games, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Die Hard Man is way more funny and memorable than if he were called Steve.

Edit: I swear I didn't mean this as a pop at you, Stevie. My brain just failed to pick a random name - I'm no Kojima, that's for sure. :lol:

• Upvote 3
25 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I think its his ideas getting lost in translation. He writes his games in Japanese and throw it all in google translate. You see it in all of his games with character names as Punished Snake, Quiet, The Boss AI, Die Hard Man, etc. I'm sure it all sounds great in Japanese but it just sounds weird in English. 

Now when it comes to the writing itself, I'm not sure if some of the writing (Death Stranding) is really bad or if there is some hidden meaning to everything. There are so many "duh" and "that doesn't make sense" moments I dont know what to belive. Game is still enjoyable though. 

Usually his characters’ Japanese names are just direct transliterations of the English, and there’s a lot of English wordplay in his games. (One of Death Stranding’s main binding themes is a riff on the noun and verb meanings of the English word “strand”.) So it’s not so much things in the Japanese version going missing in translation but instead perhaps the loss of a degree of much-needed alienation from the English language.

But a lot of it, especially here, is just the very welcome SF writer trope of dropping you in and using a bunch of conspicuously undefined terminology and getting you excited to find out what it means. Revelation Space takes about half the first book before you even know what the Spiders, Zombies, Conjoiners, Ultranauts etc are, and by the end of thousands of pages of multiple novels you’re still not sure what a Jumper Clown is but it draws a bigger world. Same thing.

• Upvote 4
13 minutes ago, Quest said:

Kojima's weird names are one of my favourite things about his games, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Die Hard Man is way more funny and memorable than if he were called Steve.

You mean “Die Hardman”.

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Quest said:

Edit: I swear I didn't mean this as a pop at you, Stevie. My brain just failed to pick a random name - I'm no Kojima, that's for sure. :lol:

No worries mate! I agree that Kojima games have a lot of weirdness and it is all part of the charm, but at the same time I cant help to wonder what a Kojima game would look like if he had hired professional writers that would have helped him out with names and expressions. 

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

The main villain in MGS: Peace Walker was called Hot Coldman because his main goal was to make the Cold War hot. I’d just accept it.

:lol: I got to play that game.

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

:lol: I got to play that game.

It's got everything, nuclear war, a robot hand that lights cigars, an optional subplot where Big Boss fucks a child but it's okay because she's actually a grown woman pretending to be a child, the works.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, layten said:

Glad I didn't pre order now!

I suspect that you'll be very ashamed of your words and deeds when you find out the reason Sam has no willy.

• Upvote 5

How does stealth work in this game? My cargo was pinged by some bad guys and I saw them coming towards me so I ran away. Does hiding behind a ridge or large boulder work, or do you have to just escape like you escape the police in GTA?

11 minutes ago, Stevie said:

How does stealth work in this game? My cargo was pinged by some bad guys and I saw them coming towards me so I ran away. Does hiding behind a ridge or large boulder work, or do you have to just escape like you escape the police in GTA?

If they ping you they will go to the place you were pinged ( unless they have line of site In which case they will come straight for you)  . You can hide in tall grass , after being pinged , provided your cargo isn’t too tall . As the game progresses you will get various tools to help you with pings. .

• Upvote 2
Just now, Stevie said:

Excellent. I was kinda worried that being chased just ment I had to run away and cover even more distance when going from A to B. 

Well that might still happen , depends on circumstances . But Provided there isn’t loads then taking them out is relatively easy . Even direct hand to hand .

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Sod it, managed to get an eBay Nvidia code for 30 quid. Let's see this thing running dlss'ed off its tits.

The DLSS in this is shockingly good. There aren't many other configurable bells and whistles by PC standards, but it looks fantastic anyway. I'm doing 21:9 ultrawide 1440p at highest settings, 144hz and it behaves like a perfect gent. 

Four hours in and it's a totally unique experience. The bits other devs chuck on the floor - balance, weight, distance, stamina, micturation ( ;) ) - Kojima picks up and makes a game (and some sort of statement?) from them. 

I wonder how difficult it is for Devs to incorporate DLSS into games, as I'm still surprised that it is still fairly rare in games and only this and Control have managed to make it look amazing.

I'd love to see it in something like Red Dead 2, but as that's still a bit glitchy I'm guessing that ain't gonna happen.

Well, two hours in (of actual gameplay, that is) and, though I'm prepared for it to end up more or less anywhere, for now this is pretty much the properly systemic walking simulator I've kinda always dreamed about. 

The cutscenes are simply awful though, with clanking dialogue and visibly bemused actors. I wish I had the resolution to just skip them, but then figuring out the plot is all part of the game, I guess!

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, RL666 said:

The cutscenes are simply awful though, with clanking dialogue and visibly bemused actors. I wish I had the resolution to just skip them, but then figuring out the plot is all part of the game, I guess!

Feel free to skip it all. Kojima is good at dreaming up concepts, but don't ever ask him to explain them or you'll be stuck there listening for years on end.

And if you don't have the willpower to skip from the start in case you're missing anything, hopefully you learn from my mistakes and skip the hell out of all the later cutscenes which last somewhere between five hours and eternity each time. The one exception is a neat glass and steel mountain retreat talk with Heartman, which still lasts fifty times longer than it should, but made me chuckle.

Going to have to park this until the graphical glitches are patched. Rather detracts from the scenes when Sam looks like Cousin IT from The Adams Family.  The water and landscape is glitching out as well. Real shame as I had read it was a great port onto PC. 

• Empathy 1

The cutscenes aren’t awful, the writing is awful. It’s funny-awful though, I love how unfiltered it is. I wish Kojima would hugely reduce the dialogue and concentrate on visual storytelling because he’s really very good at it. 

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

Going to have to park this until the graphical glitches are patched. Rather detracts from the scenes when Sam looks like Cousin IT from The Adams Family.  The water and landscape is glitching out as well. Real shame as I had read it was a great port onto PC. 

No problems at all for me, since switching to the latest drivers. 

Exactly. If I play a Kojima game I want long cutscenes hurling exposition at me, bizarre and unsettling sci-fi concepts, really literal and utterly silly character names and on-the-nose philosophical musings. If I didn't want any of these things then I wouldn't play a Kojima game.

Long may his unique brand of self-indulgent bonkers narratives continue. Gaming's lucky to have him.

• Upvote 5