rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I straight up hated the game by the end of the PS4 version but I'm tempted to get it again on PC because I'm an idiot and pottering around on mountaintops was very pretty indeed.

3 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I've also grabbed this for PC, and have managed to dodge all spoilers thus far about the game

Same here. I have no idea what this game is about and everything I know is from the trailers. 

14% downloaded right now, looking forward to playing this, I hope its something magical. 

1 hour ago, Stevie said:

Same here. I have no idea what this game is about and everything I know is from the trailers. 

14% downloaded right now, looking forward to playing this, I hope its something magical. 

I don’t know about magical but I do know that It’s a very, very strange game. 

It has a very distinct atmosphere that’s for sure.

I think the idea surrounding the story is fantastic, and whilst watching the run through I was never bored and wanted to keep on watching, but I think Kojima cannot write to save his life, and needs someone to actually sit down with him and tell him that. He also needs to understand that using words in english just because presumably he thinks they’re cool does not make them so.

’DOOMS’

Fucking hell.

Anyway, what can’t be denied is that he makes really fun gameplay mechanics, and that helps a whole load, and I’m glad I’m finally playing it. It’s a worthwhile endeavour!

I’m glad 

• Upvote 1

Well this is pretty great on PC.

Was hoping for some more detail on the character models, but nice job overall.

This is the first Kojima game I've played since MGS uhh....3 I think and the radio chatter is already giving me PTSD. 

Spoiler

SAM THIS IS DIE HARD MAN!

I'm still loving it though. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Well this is pretty great on PC.

Was hoping for some more detail on the character models, but nice job overall.

They've all got a little bit of a rubbery look to them - but the eyes are wonderful! And the hair strands (Hair Stranding?) are great too.

• Upvote 1

Good! Well, it's not, but I'm glad it's just me/my gfx card about to melt :D

Nvidia drivers, according to Reddit. Gonna upgrade to the latest one, re-test. 

DSC_0478.thumb.JPG.7831c8a7acc5132841e5ac6b1e639293.JPG

58 minutes ago, Treble said:

Um... is this meant to be happening?! 

DSC_0477_1594762244869.thumb.jpg.ff41707251688ebc66622e5d4cf4f41f.jpg

that looks amazing

• Upvote 3

As its a Kojima game I genuinely didn't know if it was fucking with me or not :unsure:

The driver update fixed it, though. Teach me to pay attention to game-ready drivers... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Um... is this meant to be happening?! 

DSC_0477_1594762244869.thumb.jpg.ff41707251688ebc66622e5d4cf4f41f.jpg

Lockdown nasal-hair / beard / moustache combo?

• Upvote 3

I've put about two and a half hours into it so far - and at the very least my £37 investment has been worth it to confirm that my decision to never have children was the correct one.

Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what to think about it yet, but I want to play more and that's a good sign - the visuals sort of slide between "alright" and "gorgeous", tending more towards the latter and the world has absolute bags of personality. I'm not finding traversal particularly difficult, and it seems as though you can just choose never to fall over by constantly holding down the weight shifting triggers - I'm assuming that this gets a little more complicated later on.

What I do really like is the monsters - I'm a bit disappointed that the BB allows me to see them more clearly, I really loved the early stages where you could just about make out the ghostly outlines in the rain - and of course you've got the brilliant shoulder-flapper thing which is superb, but seems a bit pointless so far because the scan button just puts all the baddies front and centre - but again, this could just be because I'm so early into it.

It's all just a bit Kojima at the moment - the protagonist seems excessively gravelly when he's talking and some of the dialogue feels a bit clunky but the ideas behind it all seem fantastic - I'm genuinely interested in what's going on in the game world, so that's probably a good sign and will keep me trudging forward through the mud. Felt bad about eating live bugs though. Not sure why, but I also fancy a Monster Energy Drink with Taurine now as well.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Treble said:

Nvidia drivers, according to Reddit. Gonna upgrade to the latest one, re-test. 

DSC_0478.thumb.JPG.7831c8a7acc5132841e5ac6b1e639293.JPG

Strange, i updated all mine before starting.

1 hour ago, Herbalizer said:

Strange, i updated all mine before starting.

Might be worth checking your drivers, maybe uninstalling/reinstalling. That said I only tested for 5 or 10 minutes, so maybe the official drivers are still - to use the common parlance - fuxx0red.

16 hours ago, JoeK said:

He also needs to understand that using words in english just because presumably he thinks they’re cool does not make them so.

’DOOMS’

Fucking hell.

I think its his ideas getting lost in translation. He writes his games in Japanese and throw it all in google translate. You see it in all of his games with character names as Punished Snake, Quiet, The Boss AI, Die Hard Man, etc. I'm sure it all sounds great in Japanese but it just sounds weird in English. 

Now when it comes to the writing itself, I'm not sure if some of the writing (Death Stranding) is really bad or if there is some hidden meaning to everything. There are so many "duh" and "that doesn't make sense" moments I dont know what to belive. Game is still enjoyable though. 

Kojima's weird names are one of my favourite things about his games, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Die Hard Man is way more funny and memorable than if he were called Steve.

Edit: I swear I didn't mean this as a pop at you, Stevie. My brain just failed to pick a random name - I'm no Kojima, that's for sure. :lol:

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I think its his ideas getting lost in translation. He writes his games in Japanese and throw it all in google translate. You see it in all of his games with character names as Punished Snake, Quiet, The Boss AI, Die Hard Man, etc. I'm sure it all sounds great in Japanese but it just sounds weird in English. 

Now when it comes to the writing itself, I'm not sure if some of the writing (Death Stranding) is really bad or if there is some hidden meaning to everything. There are so many "duh" and "that doesn't make sense" moments I dont know what to belive. Game is still enjoyable though. 

Usually his characters’ Japanese names are just direct transliterations of the English, and there’s a lot of English wordplay in his games. (One of Death Stranding’s main binding themes is a riff on the noun and verb meanings of the English word “strand”.) So it’s not so much things in the Japanese version going missing in translation but instead perhaps the loss of a degree of much-needed alienation from the English language.

But a lot of it, especially here, is just the very welcome SF writer trope of dropping you in and using a bunch of conspicuously undefined terminology and getting you excited to find out what it means. Revelation Space takes about half the first book before you even know what the Spiders, Zombies, Conjoiners, Ultranauts etc are, and by the end of thousands of pages of multiple novels you’re still not sure what a Jumper Clown is but it draws a bigger world. Same thing.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Quest said:

Kojima's weird names are one of my favourite things about his games, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Die Hard Man is way more funny and memorable than if he were called Steve.

You mean “Die Hardman”.

• Upvote 1

The main villain in MGS: Peace Walker was called Hot Coldman because his main goal was to make the Cold War hot. I’d just accept it.

• Upvote 5

19 minutes ago, Quest said:

Edit: I swear I didn't mean this as a pop at you, Stevie. My brain just failed to pick a random name - I'm no Kojima, that's for sure. :lol:

No worries mate! I agree that Kojima games have a lot of weirdness and it is all part of the charm, but at the same time I cant help to wonder what a Kojima game would look like if he had hired professional writers that would have helped him out with names and expressions. 

1 minute ago, Spacehost said:

The main villain in MGS: Peace Walker was called Hot Coldman because his main goal was to make the Cold War hot. I’d just accept it.

:lol: I got to play that game.

1 minute ago, Stevie said:

:lol: I got to play that game.

It's got everything, nuclear war, a robot hand that lights cigars, an optional subplot where Big Boss fucks a child but it's okay because she's actually a grown woman pretending to be a child, the works.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, layten said:

Glad I didn't pre order now!

I suspect that you'll be very ashamed of your words and deeds when you find out the reason Sam has no willy.

• Upvote 5

The soundtrack is wonderful. Possibly my favourite bit of it so far.

• Upvote 2

How does stealth work in this game? My cargo was pinged by some bad guys and I saw them coming towards me so I ran away. Does hiding behind a ridge or large boulder work, or do you have to just escape like you escape the police in GTA?

11 minutes ago, Stevie said:

How does stealth work in this game? My cargo was pinged by some bad guys and I saw them coming towards me so I ran away. Does hiding behind a ridge or large boulder work, or do you have to just escape like you escape the police in GTA?

If they ping you they will go to the place you were pinged ( unless they have line of site In which case they will come straight for you)  . You can hide in tall grass , after being pinged , provided your cargo isn’t too tall . As the game progresses you will get various tools to help you with pings. .

• Upvote 2