rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

9 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Anyone else find they have next to no chiral bandwidth around the south of the map? The rest of the map, I'm never short, especially in the mountains, but I've not been able to build much at all around the south of the map. I have 5-stars with some of the preppers there, so IDGI. Maybe it's

Reveal hidden contents

i dismantled that structure to get the bandwidth back, just finished completing the road from lake knot to south knot.

Now back to capital knot to sort out the Zip lines to the windfarm/musician.

I got all the roads set up, but I was unable to create a quick zipline route to the timefall farm and the cosplayer, and the terrain around there is particularly awful.

image.png.660860a5a4ba8deeff02a6150b981d86.png

When people say the chiral bandwidth is per region, you mean the area surrounding each prepper/distro which you connect to the chiral network, right? Because that's how I thought it was working. I have a strange compulsion to platinum this...a lack of other games to play perhaps, but it is nicely atmospheric and chill.

• Upvote 1

There is definitely a region chiral network limit for west, central, and east but there might be a limit for objects around a specific prepper too. If so I’ve not found an easy way to bring it up.

• Upvote 1

Dammit, I fired it up earlier and ended up sinking another 4 hours. I only have a couple preppers left to 5-star now. I need to collect all the data chips and also build/upgrade all structures to level 3, on top of a whole bunch of delivery stuff I don't actually understand... :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Number 28 said:

Dammit, I fired it up earlier and ended up sinking another 4 hours. I only have a couple preppers left to 5-star now. I need to collect all the data chips and also build/upgrade all structures to level 3, on top of a whole bunch of delivery stuff I don't actually understand... :ph34r:

The delivery stuff is when you select a standard order, there is a premium delivery option. This usually means deliver in less time or carry more etc. I’ve done quite a few already all pretty easy. If you are going for the Platinum make sure you have the game on hard difficulty to get the legend rank status when completing the order.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I'm already on hard and racking up the premium deliveries. It was more the 'all categories' part of the trophies that confused me, but I've looked into it and apparently there's four categories for each delivery? I'm not sure if I should blame myself for not paying attention, or Hideo for filling the order/results screen with so much tiny text I end up mashing X. At least there's a stats screen so I can see where I am with it.

image.png.b39561711eac7e8e9005eccf2c077f37.png

I've not checked my stats yet. Dreading it. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Got the art book today. Pretty sure this was going to be an EX grenade full of pubes.

DF0AE7C5-3B9B-4195-8217-811AD441511D.thumb.jpeg.ff49556d2e7e287fd0e640e60cee9a7f.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Does it have the chiral gold gilded edges? A nice touch.

I only used the poop grenades recently for the first time. I pegged them at a porter. I can't help myself messing with those guys. I was being docked 10,000 likes at a time at one point for mowing them down on a tricycle. Ouch.

• Empathy 1

Oh no! :lol: Yes it’s gold. It’s a Titan Books production so it doesn’t have the same sort of insightful background or density of artwork you got in the Last Guardian book or the MGS1 and 2 art books but I wasn’t not going to buy it.

I didn't know you could lose 10,000 likes at once. Previously I was docked 300. Maybe it can climb even higher.

Yeah, but not bad for £25. I remember staring longingly at the Metal Gear Solid art books in a Forbidden Planet around the turn of the century. Japanese imports and something like £50-60...a little out of my price range.

• Upvote 1

Got this in the sale. Finding timefall to be a frustrating pain in the arse. I just wanna go around delivering stuff. If I put it on very easy does it get rid of timefall every few yards?

I think timefall has less of an effect on things on the easier difficulty settings. What specifically is bothering you about timefall because for me it was never much of a concern? How far in are you? You're aware that the cargo and the container have two separate HP bars, and unless you fall the cargo should be fine no matter how wrecked the container is?

image.png.751a9ad234b343cbfe30868ee69b880c.png

I just completely ignored the timefall effect unless I absolutely had to jump under a shelter or renew my vehicle.

I just found out that...

Spoiler

there's a whole mechanic around killing NPCs where you have to get the body to an incinerator within 24 in-game hours or they'll "go necro", then their BT can kill another NPC and cause a void-out apparently. Which I never even engaged with given the way I played the game. It explains why the one in the mid region was there, I thought it was just a forgotten part of a story mission.

• Upvote 4

Ha! I had that due to me mowing down mules near the farm in my truck with abandon and then finally being told I had do something about one of the bodies. I just ignored it and carried on my merry way. Farm was still there many, many hours later on my way back East.

Oh yeah,

Spoiler

I got a call from Deadman at one point to tell me there was a dead mule near the farm I had no recollection of. So I took him all the way to the incinerator miles away and disposed of him. But later the whole screen suddenly did that same nuke explosion thing from the third chapter and GAME OVER and I had no idea why. I think that's what you get if a voidout happens too close to a distro and maybe prepper. Anyway, Sam repatriated and his underwater body and throat BB were black like a BT, then it asked me to reload the game. When I reloaded an earlier save, I expected it to happen again and I was panicking slightly, but it didn't, and things were fine. I really don't understand it at all, but it seems like there isn't much of a penalty at all.

From what I've read the system is sorta flaky like this. Sometimes you can just ignore dead NPCs and they'll just disappear, other times, you'll end up with a crater or a game over. Either way I don't imagine a playthrough could completely break, so you're free to do whatever. I'm curious what happens tbh. A few lovely, smooth craters here and there could potentially make travel easier. I think I'll go on a mass killing spree once I'm done with everything else.

Something else cool is...

Spoiler

cargo 'warping' in from other people's games. If you're lucky you can catch it happening in real time, and a little black hole appears like a zap and cargo falls to the ground.

• Upvote 4

Wait a min, now I think about it that did happen to me much, much later on as Deadman was banging on about if for ages and I just completely ignored him until it happened. Then, like you, I was like oh no I'm knackered now after reloading. Not sure I connected the two at the time though. :lol:

God, my memory is dreadful.

Wait so the game actually makes craters if that happens? That's awesome. I, like Alex, never saw it due to my playstyle, I just read online that it was a thing. You kind of have to go out of your way to kill people as there are so many non lethal options available so I never felt the need.

Question for those who have finished the game:

You know how you see the baby inside Sam's tummy when you repatriate? That is a bit of silliness that is just for silliness sake, right? The game never mentions it otherwise, does it?

Given that... (ending spoilers)

Spoiler

Sam was also a BB at one point, I wonder if we’re seeing Sam as a BB there, and indeed, whether we BB we see in the Seam near the start of the game is Lou or just a time-shifted version of the Sam-BB himself.

Fuck’s sake Hideo.

• Upvote 3

:lol:

That was sort of my thoughts as well then I gave up. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Number 28 said:

I think timefall has less of an effect on things on the easier difficulty settings. What specifically is bothering you about timefall because for me it was never much of a concern? How far in are you? You're aware that the cargo and the container have two separate HP bars, and unless you fall the cargo should be fine no matter how wrecked the container is?

image.png.751a9ad234b343cbfe30868ee69b880c.png

I didn't know that thanks. I'm enjoying traversing the landscapes but going into areas where I have to creep around avoiding invisible enemies I'm finding tedious. Do you ever get a gun to shoot those blokes trying to nick your stuff? Maybe this game isn't for me. I really enjoyed MGSV so I was really looking forward to this.

You can get them hand-to-hand pretty easily with a bit of practice, but yeah, other tools become available.

Bear in mind that invisible enemies become visible if you stay still and you’re not using your hands for anything.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

Bear in mind that invisible enemies become visible if you stay still and you’re not using your hands for anything.

Another mechanic I didn't know haha. Thanks for your tips guys, i'll persevere.

• Upvote 1

Did a side mission last night that was taking live plants that are heat perishable. My delivery route took them over the mountains, through the snow. But they got ruined regardless. The only reason I can think for this is that they were on a floating carrier and that kicks out loads of heat? No other reason I can think of. I had a thermal pad on my suit and after turning that off they kept dying anyway.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Did a side mission last night that was taking live plants that are heat perishable. My delivery route took them over the mountains, through the snow. But they got ruined regardless. The only reason I can think for this is that they were on a floating carrier and that kicks out loads of heat? No other reason I can think of. I had a thermal pad on my suit and after turning that off they kept dying anyway.

Thoughts?

Don’t walk through the snow I reckon  . Reduce your delivery time 

Turn off your portable heater (by putting it on your back) if you have one. I forgot I had one equipped...

Edit - oh wait, you said that already. I screwed up so many jobs that way I jumped to conclusions.

Maybe the cold is as bad as the heat?

Maybe a wobbly translation? Heat sensitive should've been temperature sensitive, but temperature was too many characters? There's nowhere actually hot in the game is there, unless you're going to jump into a hot spring? I don't remember ever doing this mission. Is it one of those deliveries from one side of the map to the other, which I avoided like the plague?

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Don’t walk through the snow I reckon  . Reduce your delivery time 

It said the plants got too hot, not that time was a factor (plenty of time sensitive missions that tell you you need to be there by x minutes etc).

I’m not saying it’s the most realistic game in the world but given that your character suffers from cold in the snow you’d think plants wouldn’t get warm.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

It said the plants got too hot, not that time was a factor (plenty of time sensitive missions that tell you you need to be there by x minutes etc).

I’m not saying it’s the most realistic game in the world but given that your character suffers from cold in the snow you’d think plants wouldn’t get warm.

I mean if you get there quicker then they might not get too hot