rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

6 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

The best thing for BTs by far are the

Hide contents

cuff links you get from mama

outside of the bosses obvs . I think i barely used grenades after I got them .

What chapter do you get these?  I'm on chapter 3, and looking forward to more ways to dealing with BT bastards.

2 hours ago, meatbin said:

What chapter do you get these?  I'm on chapter 3, and looking forward to more ways to dealing with BT bastards.

I think it’s the next chapter , if not the one after  but chapter three is one of the longest ( or it was for me as I wanted to 5 star as much as I could )

Struggling a bit in the mountains. Just made my way through a whiteout to the Spiritualist. But I can’t build zip lines because I’m either outside of the network or I don’t have enough bandwidth. Also, finishing up the last bit of highway is using up a lot of resources since It’s outside the network. I feel like my progress is going much slower than it needs too. How can I speed up this part of the game?

Don’t donate to highways until they’re on the network. Focus on getting the mountain settlements and road locations on to the network. A few of the mountain settlements will reward you with equipment that makes the mountains easier to traverse.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Don’t donate to highways until they’re on the network. Focus on getting the mountain settlements and road locations on to the network. A few of the mountain settlements will reward you with equipment that makes the mountains easier to traverse.

I connected the doctor, mountaineer and roboticist with zip lines so far. Did some googling, and found out you can remove structures from the map screen. Will try this to make my zip lines more efficient and create more bandwith. Also adding the novelist's son to the network should make it easier to finish the highway to mountain knot city.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I connected the doctor, mountaineer and roboticist with zip lines so far. Did some googling, and found out you can remove structures from the map screen. Will try this to make my zip lines more efficient and create more bandwith. Also adding the novelist's son to the network should make it easier to finish the highway to mountain knot city.   

You only get network back for removing your own structures, mind. But yeah get as many people you can on the newtork, and get them up to 5 stars

I love those little easter eggs in the game. That rock formation behind the Spiritualist is the same as Sefa Utaki in Okinawa, an old religious site. 

• Upvote 3

There’s a chambered cairn in Scotland I visited recently which has a similar structure too. :) 

Aaand done, 48.5hrs on the clock. I’m glad I played it but please more game included next time, please, Hideo.

Somebody just needed to say, Hideo, STAAAAAAHP! Did someone say on here earlier or maybe I imagined it but it’s like bloody Columbo for hours and hours at the end. Think you’ve finished then, oh, just one more thing (which obviously involves a long convoluted long cut scene). Sheesh, those last few chapters are painful.

That said, the world is astonishingly beautiful and realised. The game is lacking for me but still somehow works and it is also scary mary in places. I really, really hope he does a horror game next or just goes and does a film to get it out of his system.

Now, on to something more gamey for me please.

• Upvote 4

I'm on the run up to the finale on this, and honestly, after 70 hours of mostly gameplay I'm treating it as a (self-)indulgent dessert course for the true Kojima devotee. Ah, a long backtracking section where you're constantly interrupted by CODEC calls full of twist exposition? How very MGS1 of you Mr Kojima.

And...

Spoiler

...I still can't get over Higgs' fucking Pepe Silva pizza soda lair, imagining him stewing away down there between encounters, probably posting shit about me on the chiral network. Incredible.

• Upvote 3

I went back to this the other day post-completion to tie up some loose ends. 6 hours later I was still hauling packages around the mountains, finishing off a few mountain roads and getting more stars from the shelters. It's so easy to get sucked back in, never mind all the story nonsense, this game shines when you're lugging things from A to B, setting up the world's best logistics network by building stuff and planning out epic expeditions with a fully laden truck and 7 missions on the go.

I just wish there was a little bit more depth to the standard missions, once you build roads and zips you don't need half the equipment any more. There are so many shelters and so many stars to unlock but completing them is much the same. There aren't many carrots on sticks post-story, no really cool new equipment or areas to unlock, all you get is the occasional upgrade or weapon, some terrible emails, and the occasional decent interview file which gives a bit more lore. I still have a few chiral zones left to unlock but don't feel inspired to do them as I know there's not going to be anything new.

A bit of mission variety in the side missions would have gone a long way, it needs more rulesets like keeping items flat, only travel on foot, very heavy item, stricter time limits, always timefall, exploding items, stealing mule vehicles, whatever. There are some great tools and mechanics in the game that are barely explored, or so quickly obsolete due to upgrades that you barely use them.

Despite this I think I'll still try and get all 5 star ratings, its a nice chilled game to relax with for a few hours at a time. The completionist in me does want to see all the lore, the question is really how many hours are left, I reckon I've still got another full day of gaming if not more in there.

• Upvote 4

I’ve only made it to chapter 5 and I’ve put in 60 hours already!

• Upvote 2

Ah well, just the post-credits bit to do now. I do like that I can basically be the Alex W version of Norman Reedus in this:

1257282177_DEATHSTRANDING_20200212173123.thumb.png.ef67ed11a4360041d482f2d513a1b372.png

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I got a bit testy during the end credits...

Hide contents

DEATH_STRANDING%E2%84%A2_20200214180437_.gif.902ea8d5e55d1c946b1df86de43b53af.gif

Ha, I did lots of endless running and jumping. 

Don't worry though, you get to watch them all again soon enough. :rolleyes:

• Empathy 1

It’s all over. ‪I wasn’t expecting *all* of the Death Stranding theories to be true, including the ones that contradicted the other ones.‬

• Upvote 2

:lol:

Totally. I was like, wait a min, didn't  they say...oh I give up, just get on with it. 

Also, always a great idea to

Spoiler

take a baby out in the time fall!?! 

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

I think it’s implied that it’s no longer Timefall, but how would Sam know that?

Oh yes, I suppose so. My incredulity was rather stretched at that point.

The chiral network structure limit is it per map or area? I now have zip lines & have gone back to the Eastern Region to get 5 stars on the Wind Farm/Musician.

Also on the map how can I see the structures I have built so I can dismantle if needed?

I'm pretty sure it's for map, not area.

Your structures are blue on the map compared to green for other players. I don't think there's an easy way to cycle through them though, I usually just zoom the map out and it tends to highlight your structures then. 

• Upvote 2

Per region. The only way to distinguish structures is that online ones are a more-green sort of colour, and yours and the few structures that NPCs made are more blue.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, the two colours are similar & it was difficult to spot. Wish there was a default option to skip the various process cut scenes to make them quicker.

Anyone else find they have next to no chiral bandwidth around the south of the map? The rest of the map, I'm never short, especially in the mountains, but I've not been able to build much at all around the south of the map. I have 5-stars with some of the preppers there, so IDGI. Maybe it's

Spoiler

the private room they make you build outside the weather station hogging the bandwidth. Those private rooms are so unnecessary unless you're dying on top of a mountain and need to restore your stamina gauge.

9 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

Anyone else find they have next to no chiral bandwidth around the south of the map? The rest of the map, I'm never short, especially in the mountains, but I've not been able to build much at all around the south of the map. I have 5-stars with some of the preppers there, so IDGI. Maybe it's

Reveal hidden contents

i dismantled that structure to get the bandwidth back, just finished completing the road from lake knot to south knot.

Now back to capital knot to sort out the Zip lines to the windfarm/musician.

I got all the roads set up, but I was unable to create a quick zipline route to the timefall farm and the cosplayer, and the terrain around there is particularly awful.

image.png.660860a5a4ba8deeff02a6150b981d86.png

When people say the chiral bandwidth is per region, you mean the area surrounding each prepper/distro which you connect to the chiral network, right? Because that's how I thought it was working. I have a strange compulsion to platinum this...a lack of other games to play perhaps, but it is nicely atmospheric and chill.

• Upvote 1

There is definitely a region chiral network limit for west, central, and east but there might be a limit for objects around a specific prepper too. If so I’ve not found an easy way to bring it up.

• Upvote 1

Dammit, I fired it up earlier and ended up sinking another 4 hours. I only have a couple preppers left to 5-star now. I need to collect all the data chips and also build/upgrade all structures to level 3, on top of a whole bunch of delivery stuff I don't actually understand... :ph34r: