rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I just can't believe there isn't a single strandbeest in the game anywhere. They're literally built for traversing beaches!

• Upvote 1

It sounds like the much maligned odradek cut-scene annoyance has been lessened by the latest update, although from a video I saw it looks like it still happens, but won't occur more than once in the same area. Maybe it was concealing loading after all, it just lets you retreat further now before it unloads?

I don’t know that it’s load times, I Fragile Jumped between a lot of places on a mad resource run (finished all the roads!) and it still skipped the Odradek in areas I hadn’t passed in ages.

• Upvote 4

I had just seen this short clip at the time of posting;

I fired it up earlier and there's a checkbox for a 'once only' Odradek animation in the game options. I also noticed when the Odradek is obscured by packages, the packages become translucent. Did that happen before? I don't remember it. I think there was one less cutscene to skip when recyling too, but maybe I imagined that. :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

Nah, the recycling cut scene pair is still as tedious as ever. :lol: I think the transparent parcels was a patch late last year.

• Upvote 2

Damn I just finished this last week and wish I'd had that Odradek option!

Yes they patched the translucency thing in only recently (late December patch?).

Honestly I found the ending of Death Stranding a dissapointment. Totally self indulgent, hammy as hell, lots of repetition and even watching the same cutscenes you've seen before but from different angles. Plus a few medicore boss fights and a serious amount of backtracking. I also didn't like how the overall plot wrapped up, for me it spoiled some of the excitement and mystery of the world itself. I'm with the reviewers on this being the worst part of the game (though I can't knock some great performances from the actors).

I was planning to go back and get all my 5 star ratings after the end, but honestly I feel like I'm done with the game. I'll probably return at some point to mop up some more missions and get the rest of the lore but as there's nothing much to unlock and I've explored the whole world there isn't a lot of incentive to do so. Despite the poor ending though I did love the rest of the game for the most part. I just wish the story had ended better, and the game would have been much better paced if the cutscenes and major plot points had been strung out more evenly over the course of it. 

Although Silent Hill PT was incredible I would much rather have another insane sci-fi world like Death Stranding than another horror game for Kojimas next title. He's proven he and his team can create very compelling worlds, it just needs a bit more polish on the writing side and some pacing issues fixed. I won't forget my time hauling packages over Icelandic terrain, dodging BTs and appreciating other player's ladders in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

I'm not usually one for YouTube gaming stuff as, to be frank, I find the vast majority of it juvenile garbage, but this guy's an exception. Always has genuinely insightful and reflective things to say on games and their design. 

If you enjoyed Death Stranding and got a kick out of what it was attempting to say and do as much as I did then this extensive deep-dive is well worth your time. His praise for it isn't quite as effusive as mine was (which is almost a given) but he's not familiar with Kojima's previous work and so doesn't approach it with a lot of the baggage and prejudice that many others probably did, whether positive or negative. I think he nails it for the most part. A really great assessment of one of this generation's most singular visions.

(Video spoilered just in case the thumbnail gives something away. Also contains spoilers for the entire game):

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

Well I’m enjoying it, the BT’s & Mules are now easy to deal with thanks to some upgrades. I’ve been spending a bit of time developing some roads. I love when you go into a vast open area and the camera pans out to play a song :wub:

• Upvote 3

On 28/01/2020 at 22:24, Alex W. said:

Look, Hideo Kojima spent hundreds of hours reading up on things related to the word "hand", and you're all going to sit down and do the same thing. It's only fair.

3nx3fu.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, gospvg said:

Well I’m enjoying it, the BT’s & Mules are now easy to deal with thanks to some upgrades. I’ve been spending a bit of time developing some roads. I love when you go into a vast open area and the camera pans out to play a song :wub:

I've not been able to play since Tues so hoping to get back to it this week at some point.

This is the ultimate marmite game. As such I vote for a title change to:

Death Stranding - GOTY/GOATSE?

I’m very close to having everyone on the Chiral Network now (if not UCA) and am greatly enjoying my building work across the mountains. Think I might do the push towards the end now.

Is it possible to manually retain a save game to go back to after the end-game?

Just now, Alex W. said:

I’m very close to having everyone on the Chiral Network now (if not UCA) and am greatly enjoying my building work across the mountains. Think I might do the push towards the end now.

Is it possible to manually retain a save game to go back to after the end-game?

You don’t need to worry about that.

• Upvote 3

Wish you could pick up cargo whilst on a bike.

I’m stuck finding the next story mission?

Spoiler

Just completed Timefall Farm but not sure where I go next for the story mission?

35 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Wish you could pick up cargo whilst on a bike.

I’m stuck finding the next story mission?

Hide contents

Just completed Timefall Farm but not sure where I go next for the story mission?

Should tell you on the map screen . The mission that progresses the story is usually marked .

51 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Should tell you on the map screen . The mission that progresses the story is usually marked .

Thanks will check tomorrow.

Takes me forever to find them sometimes. 

/oldman

Managed to nick a few hours yesterday and getting close to the West coast now, I can feel it. Hopefully.

Been dilly dallying on buying this, but the last few pages have got me hyped and I'm purchasing this tomorrow!

• Upvote 2

Kinda put this on hold (currently near the end of ch. VIII), as I started losing my patience with both the Famitsu collector and the first prepper. Prolly will go back to it after I complete Bloodborne.

• Upvote 1

70 odd hours or so later it's finished. Overall I loved it, the ending however did erm, drag, for want of a better word. 

Zip lines are a hoot. My top-tip would be to place them everywhere, particularly in the colder areas. 

The productions values are amazing, as is the stupid BB!

Story-wise, though I like to think I got the gist of it,  there was definitely a lot of Kojima wankery in there, like a LOT!

The online aspects were fun in the same way they are on Dark Souls etc, so a thumbs up there from me, and unlike Dark Souls I think almost every sign that was placed by others was there to help instead of troll.

Peter Englert and his pizzas, hugely enjoyable, and I'm glad there was actually a bit of a pay off to doing his bidding.

It reminds me of the first Assassins Creed, in so far as it looks lovely, has some great ideas, if a few missteps here and there. But with a little refinement you know that there could be a wonderful sequel.

• Upvote 4

I used up all of my chiral bandwidth, but now I have

Spoiler

a zip line loop around all of the mountain settlements

Now I might have to grind some higher levels with my existing clients to get enough to do the same on the eastern plains. Together with the road network I can beast around the map now.

• Upvote 4

Just thinking about how many trips up snowy mountain sides loaded with special alloys, is enough to make me break out in cold sweat.

• Empathy 1

Don't think I've even built or used a zip line yet. :unsure:

And any ones I come across and try and use seem to have none to connect to. 

8 hours ago, Len said:

Don't think I've even built or used a zip line yet. :unsure:

And any ones I come across and try and use seem to have none to connect to. 

zip lines are like this games cheat mode . I had one reaching right across the mountains basically connecting everyone . I don’t understand how one would play this game without making extensive use of them . 

8 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Me neither. I just use the ones available. I did build several miles of roads 

I built a road going from south knot city to edge knot city . It was glorious . 

• Upvote 2

It’s kind of the third act of streamlining your deliveries. First it’s ropes and ladders, then it’s vehicles and roads, then you start turning the scattered zip lines of other people in to a full-fledged BT/MULEs/Demens trolling network.

I should get on with the finale but I know that I can start using my zip lines to collate deliveries from the mountains at either of the two distro centre, then driving them out to their targets... could get enough network bandwidth to set up a zipline to the Elder who I forgot about.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

... could get enough network bandwidth to set up a zipline to the Elder who I forgot about.

:lol: I left the Elder out of the loop too. Poor bloke.

• Empathy 1

6 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

I built a road going from south knot city to edge knot city . It was glorious . 

To Edge knot city? How? You don't mean Lake knot or Mountain knot?