rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

When I realised that...

Spoiler

the champagne had to be hand carried I nearly threw his fucking delivery in the crater

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

Haha! I didn't mind to be honest.

Since I was using motorcycles, trucks and zip lines for most of my deliveries, it was a welcome change to go back to the basics of the start of the game - some 80 hrs. ago.

And I walked. The entire bit. Only when I got chased by MULES did I run. I walked the rest. Even resting, drinking and changing hands for the ultimate experience.Took me 47 mins.

But I did feel deflated when that prick didn't show up again. I was sure that was going to be the final delivery.

• Upvote 3

"Bum bum bum bum bum bum
Ba-bum bum bum bum bum
Bum bum bum bum bum bum
Ba-bum bum bum bum bum
Ii yu da na
Ii yu da na"

Brilliant :D

Any beginner tips I’m about to venture in!

• Upvote 2

Just now, gospvg said:

Auto organise is your friend. Take some time to get used to the menus with it's press and press/hold commands.

Mainline it until the word zip means something and then go back and explore.

• Upvote 4

From "Before I Play"

https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Death_Stranding

-Holding l2 and r2 everywhere makes you never stumble or fall. (ed: will also make you move slower and will stop you from interacting. L2 and R2 are "your hands.")

-Postponing side missions until episode 3 is a good idea

-Try to place your ladders in such a way that the top of the ladder is roughly flush with the ground, because Sam will jump down and faceplant even if the ladder is 20 feet off the ground.

-Ladders are almost more useful as impromptu bridges than as climbing aids. You can use them to cross both bodies of water and just generally rough terrain. You can even balance a vehicle over them, if you're careful. Always carry ladders.

-It's also worth carrying a climbing anchor; apparently one item has three charges so it's good to keep one on hand in case you come across any sheer drops that you want to trivialize, you can get a lot of mileage out of that 5kg of cargo.

-There's a super exhaustive tips section in the menu of every tutorial thing plus some other stuff

-You need to stop moving to see/scan BTs

-People's routes get shared and form desire paths, makes it a bit easier to travel and also know where to say build a bridge or whatever

-The delivery time stat only goes up if a delivery is timed and at least so far I haven't seen a lot of those (my highest stat at the moment is like 60ish, delivery time is 12~15)

-Item descriptions sometimes have additional info about how to use things as well

-Participate with the online aspects, check for cargo to deliver in the share locker, give items, literally mash the like button, etc.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Auto organise is your friend. Take some time to get used to the menus with it's press and press/hold commands.

Mainline it until the word zip means something and then go back and explore.

I’d say that’s way too late, feel free to explore as soon as you get the itch to find out who that lost cargo belongs to or what’s down that valley, or you’ll miss a lot of self-made fun. I had most of the map ticked off before that suggested exploration stage...

• Upvote 4

I’ve completed the prologue section of the game, lots of WTF is going on moments but it looks stunning & I love the music.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gospvg said:

Enjoy the ride . Take your time . Embrace it . The longer you play , the easier traversal gets . There isn’t a right way to play it . 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, gospvg said:

Looking to join you this coming week also.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, gospvg said:

Just start and don't worry too much about how it's supposed to be played.

Like the best games it doesn't shy away from keeping some (very) interesting or useful elements hidden if you're not willing to experiment/explore/read most of the backstory. Similar to the Soulsborne games. Granted you might miss out a few bits here and there on your first playthrough, but that's just how this sort of game is. And part of the fun imo. 

• Upvote 3

Reached chapter 9.

Spoiler

A whole lot of incomprehensible mumbo jumbo has revved up, dozens of plot points haven’t progressed in hours and a goth boy licked me. Now that’s the Kojima I know 

Ah shit I should’ve delivered that pizza before I started this bit. Back I go.

• Empathy 3

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Reached chapter 9.

Reveal hidden contents

A whole lot of incomprehensible mumbo jumbo has revved up, dozens of plot points haven’t progressed in hours and a goth boy licked me. Now that’s the Kojima I know 

Ah shit I should’ve delivered that pizza before I started this bit. Back I go.

I got up to this bit last night as well and all of a sudden found myself up against what I think might be the final boss. I think I've gone past the point of no return by accident.

So, does this use some sort of forced perspective trickery or what? There have been a few big vistas as I revisit things that show destinations as these tiny objects in the distance, seemingly miles away, but you reach them in a few minutes and the map distance is only a few hundred metres. It’s not at all like doing the same approaches to destinations in RDR2 where (without a horse) that walk might take an excruciatingly long time. 

I feel like they might do something weird like adjusting the scales of objects with distance. Or I’m imagining it.

• Upvote 1

I think it’s the landscape being actual landscape. My wife commented that it was weird playing The Outer Worlds post Death Stranding as it felt like she was a camera attached to a drone in the former.

Short distances in Death Stranding telescope out if it’s muddy, hilly and it starts to rain.

• Upvote 1

On 19/01/2020 at 10:17, Len said:

Looking to join you this coming week also.

I'm going in... 

• Upvote 1

:lol:

Through all that, more at the wtf is going on stage currently.

• Upvote 1

So up to chapter 3 and this is amazing, beautiful, terrifying, boring, insane, nonsensical and many other things all wrapped in to one. I'm just not really sure of any of it at the moment. But, but, but there is a pull to keep going.

• Upvote 2

That is all exactly how it feels for everyone. It’s just insanely addictive and crazy times from there on. 

• Upvote 2

Somehow I think it'd have been far more logical if this all took place in Scandinavia. I mean, the whole country looks as American as it does in the Ace Attorney series.

• Upvote 4

Man, the (what I think - and hope) final boss in this is utter bullet sponge wank. Really not fun at all. Very much ready for the game to end now.

45 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Very much ready for the game to end now.

:lol:

Yeah, I finished this evening and thought the last five or so hours were truly, truly dreadful. I loved huge swathes of this, but do yourself a favour if you think you're near the end; stop.

• Empathy 1

Update, I’ve just made it to the wind farm. Loving the game but I am really struggling to deal with BTs. Every encounter I have messed up some way or another. Any tips?

• Upvote 2