rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

2 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Yeah, i'm definitely getting BOTW vibes from it. 

I think last gen there were MANY MANY MANY open world games but to me only BOTW and GodOfWar really attempted to do (big budget) open world in their own unique way. Games like RDR2 and Spiderman did some interesting stuff but like many others they really followed a template. As much as I hate to say it, for all it's unique ideas I think even MGSV followed the template a bit too closely.  I believe that Death Stranding however joins BOTW and GodOfWar here as the only games that really tries to redesign open world and succeeds with a refreshing new take on it. 

Interesting idea, although personally i found God of War quite restricting and linear. You couldn't just go anywhere on the map (climb mountains etc)

BOTW is the pinnacle of open world gaming in my opinion, so no wonder i'm enjoying this.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Nope, not how spoilers work. No context, nothing. You are not that dumb.

I now know that 

I will have a mission coming up where I’ll have to transport Mama in a body bag. 
I will get a sticky shot weapon/tool. 

I might not be that dumb, but are you? 

Sorry Giz, but that is a spoiler, and should have been tagged. 

Which makes you both dumb - Giz for the post, and Kevvy for quoting it. :P

• Upvote 2

Ahhh, thats who i was thinking of. Didnt think anything of it, as its very close to the start of the game.

Look's like its been spoilt for me too now then :lol:

Just a quick question here:

Will the DS experience be just as good if you start playing in a few months' time, or will the game world be ruined by then by trolls and/or all sorts of stuff having been built/left behind in the game world?

I don't really fancy hooking up my PS4 right now, as I'm busy going through a lot of unplayed stuff.

Also, the amazon excl. Higgs edition looks pretty sweet:

61h7gbTh5uL._AC_SL1111_.jpg

How does the communal building work? What happens if you have really productive players who build loads of useful infrastructure that make the game super easy? How many players are in your game?

The first time you go into an area there are no player built structures. Once you connect an area to the network then their signs/structured start appearing. Personally I think a lot of the stuff left by other players detracts from the feeling of survival as I barely ever feel the need to put down a ladder myself or build a generator or postbox for example, they're nearly always exactly where you'd want them.

But that your first time through an area is devoid of those elements does mean, at least initially, you don't feel like things are too easy from the offset. Also some structures require so many materials to upgrade, the joint effort makes a big difference.

No idea how they decide which structures to include and by which players, but after a while you can form 'strand contracts' with particular players you've already interacted with and their stuff will appear with more frequency.

• Upvote 2

I believe the social structures are limited by a couple of things. Firstly you'll only ever be linked with a small section of the player base, so there should never be that much around. Secondly the bigger structures require much more effort to build so shouldn't ever be that common. And finally the structures aren't permanent. They are affected by the time rain stuff apparently so eventually a bridge will disappear from the world entirely.

I've not actually played the game myself but gathered this from done comments from reviewers etc.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

How does the communal building work? What happens if you have really productive players who build loads of useful infrastructure that make the game super easy? How many players are in your game?

I think it works well . The first time you into an area there is nothing . The when you link it up to the network, other players structures and signs become visible and you can use them . Which mean that the area becomes more accessible , the amount you would have to carry to make the same impact on your own would mean each area taking hundreds of hours . 

• Upvote 1

The shared stuff is great. You’ll come across some precarious cliff edges and put down a rope so you can get down safely. Then a while later you’ll get some notifications saying someone else has used your rope and sent you ‘likes’ to say thank you. Feels good, man.

Conversely you’ll be having issues with some ravine or something and then see some LEGEND has left a ladder behind that gets you across. 

It certainly doesn’t spoil the game (quite the opposite) and - warning: pure conjecture - I imagine the game matches up shared worlds with people at a similar level of progress or something. I doubt it would dump a new player into a world full of ladders and ropes making the game too easy/simple. 

Keep on keeping on.

• Upvote 3

Re: shared stuff. I'm far into the game now, and have no fear, infrastructure is not already magically built by players whenever you unlock a new area. Of course there are plenty of handy small things like ladders and signs around, but bigger things like roads and certain key structures definitely have limiters placed on them by the game. For example, in my world there are a bunch of shared structures which are very close to completion, yet even after days only a few of them have been finished. In reality they would all have been completed by the players within hours considering the tiny amount of resources required to finish them. But the game is definitely cribbing the system, making it far more likely I'm the one who will go back and finish them.

Same thing with some of the linked structures in the game. Another player will probably have placed a number of linked structures in their world, yet in my world I'll only see one of theirs. It's deliberate, the game would be way too easy if it was all done for you. There are limits in place to what shared structures you can see, how many, and what types. With the exception of vehicles, ladders and ropes, which are dotted about everywhere.

I do agree that in some cases you'll go into an area already on the network and find cliffs dotted with ladders and ropes, chasms with bridges over them and so on. That can make it feel a little too easy in some cases and that you don't have to do any work. Why did I bring all of this gear when I never had to use any of it? I should note though that doesn't happen very often, and for the most part when you enter into the unknown it's without the comfort of player structures. In general they serve to make things easier and more efficient in areas you have already visited.

Te game's deliberately designed around this, and you still have to do plenty of "work" yourself. The system itself is brilliant and although in some cases it feels a little overdone, for the most part it feels like a true collaberative effort to make each other's lives easier. Especially later on you will be smashing the Like button on people's structures that got you out of terrible situations or speeded up a really long journey. Don't worry about it, it's a vital part of the game (and part of the core message Kojima is drilling into us) and by playing offline you would miss a key component of what makes Death Stranding what it is.

I should point out I'm nearing the end of Episode 8 and still going strong. I know there are more episodes to go, but I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the game, which makes me really sad. Therefore I have decided to go off and do a load of side stuff to prolong the inevitable! 

• Upvote 2

[edit] Not the strongest of his relatively serious, critical videos I must say. I’ve watched the first two or so minutes and stopped because of the spoilers, but the points he makes so far are all pretty unfair and ill-thought-out. I mean, he’s basically expecting the game to control like Assassin's Creed or a 3D Mario with effortless movement and then slags it because it doesn’t. 

He mainly seems to purposefully driving vehicles in to rocks and climbing up sheer rock faces then complaining in that video. And sounds like the idiot friend of Axel Foley at the start of Beverley Hills Cop. 

But, you know, he’s kind of right. It’s still a masterpiece though :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I should point out I'm nearing the end of Episode 8 and still going strong. I know there are more episodes to go, but I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the game, which makes me really sad. Therefore I have decided to go off and do a load of side stuff to prolong the inevitable! 

With me this usually only happens with the Metroid games.

I think my game is bugged. I can’t complete order 25 (build a road) because it was already built by the time I accepted it. I’m much past that now but I’m thinking of going back, demolishing it and rebuilding it.

2 hours ago, Grobbelboy said:

[edit] Not the strongest of his relatively serious, critical videos I must say. I’ve watched the first two or so minutes and stopped because of the spoilers, but the points he makes so far are all pretty unfair and ill-thought-out. I mean, he’s basically expecting the game to control like Assassin's Creed or a 3D Mario with effortless movement and then slags it because it doesn’t. 

It was never going to be another Asassins Creed, this is just knocking a game for something it isn't.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I think my game is bugged. I can’t complete order 25 (build a road) because it was already built by the time I accepted it. I’m much past that now but I’m thinking of going back, demolishing it and rebuilding it.

There must be road sections that havent been built yet

• Upvote 1

God of War wasn’t an open world game. It was like Dark Souls. Lots of interconnected rooms and the line with the choice of tackling in your own order at set points. 

It also felt more like a linear game but with RPG, backtracking and levelling mechanics bolted on later in development.

On 19/11/2019 at 11:49, Capwn said:

I think last gen there were MANY MANY MANY open world games but to me only BOTW and GodOfWar really attempted to do (big budget) open world in their own unique way. Games like RDR2 and Spiderman did some interesting stuff but like many others they really followed a template. As much as I hate to say it, for all it's unique ideas I think even MGSV followed the template a bit too closely.  I believe that Death Stranding however joins BOTW and GodOfWar here as the only games that really tries to redesign open world and succeeds with a refreshing new take on it. 

• Upvote 1