rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Dealing with BTs gets easier/more bearable. This is an odd game, part of says you should stick with it; another part says ditch it for something with good gameplay. 

Yes, the actual gameplay in this is crap. The driving physics are sub PS2 era. It's the plot and Kojima madness that has kept me intrested ... to a point. 

I think the reviews are fairly accurate in that sense - there’s a lot of jank, but also so much stuff just never really seen in games. 

I love the weight carrying you forward as you go down a mountain, and I love the constant war of attrition, never before has there been so much decay in a game! 

It really is a love/hate game, it’s just so harsh at times - and I constantly want to push reset, try again, but you can’t, and that’s what makes it great too. The relief and satisfaction of arriving at your destination is something else in this. 

I’ve just played it for 4 hours so it’s doing something right, absolutely does not respect ones times though. 

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

It also auto saves when you rest ( hold square)

Cheers that is good to know. It is a fantastic game, I just did a kind of boss fight which I wasn’t expecting. 

The online stuff is going over my head a bit but I like that it just works whether you interact with it or not. 

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, the actual gameplay in this is crap. The driving physics are sub PS2 era. It's the plot and Kojima madness that has kept me intrested ... to a point. 

It’s really not, and this is just a bad, annoying and almost disrespectful take. 

The game is weird and unique but if your not feeling it, that’s fine. I recent was really not feeling Gears 5, which was so unbelievably derivative where as DS is totally fascinating and compelling to me. I love it, and it’s far and away my GOTY. 

yes, why not play something else... 

• Upvote 1

I've heard criticisms about the vehicles. I don't quite agree because;

1) even if they were super slick controls and were fast, you'd still struggle just because of the terrain design which favors and promotes the 'star' of the show, walking.

2) if they were amazing you'd be riding everywhere. You could further the distance between areas later on in the game but then that would make you 100% not walk it which again is the 'star' of the show.

I would have agreed they were disappointing initially but that's when I was trying to drive everywhere from A-B. I soon stopped looking at vehicles like that. They are more like tools, which require further resources (roads) to take full advantage of them. Otherwise I just use them to more quickly get to the area where my next big trek begins. 

I'd have been braver as a designer and just left the vehicles entirely and fully embrace the walking terrain traversal

• Upvote 6

I expect they experimented with no vehicles whatsoever, but the walking probably needed breaking up and every now and then. 

I am intrigued by the gameplay in Death Stranding, but on hearing there’s around seven hours of cutscenes (some of which are in big chunks) I just can’t jump in.

My first encounter with Kojima was playing MGS on the PSOne, and while the frequent codec conversations niggled a little bit, and the dialogue was sometimes ham-fisted, I loved the game because of the sheer amount of invention and energy it brought. But with every new MGS game, things got worse. Cut-scenes grew longer, codec calls more irrelevant and insistent, and the plot increasingly muddled and convoluted. It felt like there was this curious tug of war between Kojima and his design team, with his worst indulgences peaking in one title (MGS4) only to seemingly subside for the next. Either that or he’s always trying, but often failing, to get out of his own way. 

Ultimately, I’ve run out of patience with someone whose sense of dialogue, pacing and storytelling has failed to improve since I first enjoyed his work twenty-one years ago - and in some ways has actually gotten worse. I know a fair few enjoy Kojima’s pretzel logic and on the nose characters, but for me they’ve always been the gatekeepers of enjoyable gameplay with innovative mechanics. I guess I’ve gotten tired of paying the toll. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It’s really not, and this is just a bad, annoying and almost disrespectful take. 

The game is weird and unique but if your not feeling it, that’s fine. I recent was really not feeling Gears 5, which was so unbelievably derivative where as DS is totally fascinating and compelling to me. I love it, and it’s far and away my GOTY. 

yes, why not play something else... 

I'll admit, my "crap gameplay" comment is a hot take. But your defence of this game is borderline fanboyism. There is no consistency in the physics in this game. When on foot, taking on too much has you having to manage the weight, and credit where it's due, that's actually pretty well done - but is it fun? That's subjective. Of course, that only applies when on foot. Get on a reverse trike however, and all the laws of physics go out the window. You can lean as much as you want, and the massive stack of packages on your back won't fall. So, what ... are the bikes magic or something?

Add to that, the reverse trike is an open wheel vehicle, hitting small rocks/light terrain should see the trike always go over the rock, and/or get some air if at speed. In this game? Unless it's a tiny pebble, the trike just stops as if it's hit a brick wall, with you and your packages still all secure and in place. It's a total joke, the kind of physics engine that belongs in the last century. You can't possibly defend that.

• Downvote 1

Despite myself and the concerns that.... well, concern me, I'm looking at this on  Game Collections ebay page as it works out at £42 and change with the 20% off code eBay are doing, and I think I've got a metric shit-tonne of nectar card points I could redeem against it. It's just too intriguing.

It's definitely worth a punt. I love the world, and the premise. It's a unique game, just one I often find myself "playing" through gritted teeth. 

• Upvote 1

@Garibaldi I think you'd find this game frustrating then, at least for the first episode. It's mostly cutscenes and endless codec calls whilst you try to do your thing. I've sung the games praises, but even I found the incessant bleep of the codec annoying. You get bombarded with information and lore at the start and some characters literally repeat lines you've just heard (with gameplay info). In episode 2 and 3 all of that stuff drops off and you're left to your own devices a lot more.

Yeah I keep mentioning this but there were a good 10hours where I had no main story cut scenes at all. Think that would blow some people's minds who are reading about this game being so cutscene heavy. 35 hours in now and I'd say the longest cut scene has been like 10-15mins? 

The 'codec' stuff where you are just listening to a static shot of someone is very minimal compared to a MGS game too, longest probably being around 2-3mins?

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'll admit, my "crap gameplay" comment is a hot take. But your defence of this game is borderline fanboyism. There is no consistency in the physics in this game. When on foot, taking on too much has you having to manage the weight, and credit where it's due, that's actually pretty well done - but is it fun? That's subjective. Of course, that only applies when on foot. Get on a reverse trike however, and all the laws of physics go out the window. You can lean as much as you want, and the massive stack of packages on your back won't fall. So, what ... are the bikes magic or something?

Add to that, the reverse trike is an open wheel vehicle, hitting small rocks/light terrain should see the trike always go over the rock, and/or get some air if at speed. In this game? Unless it's a tiny pebble, the trike just stops as if it's hit a brick wall, with you and your packages still all secure and in place. It's a total joke, the kind of physics engine that belongs in the last century. You can't possibly defend that.

You honestly don’t know what you’re talking about and this is all a very skewed take on how the game works. 
It isn’t jenga, why would you even want that? It’s about load management. I’ll also defend what I consider good game design and also quit it with the fanboy comments. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

:lol: So you can't come up an actual counter-point, you're just dismissing mine by saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

• Downvote 4

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

:lol: So you can't come up an actual counter-point, you're just dismissing mine by saying I don't know what I'm talking about.

jenniferlawrenceokay.gif

I also see you’re continuing being an arse too. I mean, feel free to get irate that the bike doesn’t topple over on contact with an surface, I’m sure that would make the whole delivery process more fun. 

This place can sometimes be even worse than Twitter for terrible hot takes. 

• Empathy 3

Episode 4 is kind of cool but really jarring and also janky as hell. I highly recommend turning down the difficulty for this episode if you're playing on Hard. I wish I hadn't been so stubborn and just knocked it down to normal, I probably would have enjoyed it more.

Episode 4 and early Episode 5 spoilers:

Although it was a cool spectacle its such a wild departure of what you've been doing and makes zero sense. I mean its full on Kojima and its creative and weird, but in this case it was just out of left field it was really jarring. Yes we've seen Mads already in the BB scenes and of course having seen the games trailers it wasn't a surprise to see unread soldiers and BT tanks. But even then it's just all shoved in there with no build up and no emotional connection to the battle or a reason to fight Mads.

The combat was kind of a nice surpise until I realised how janky it was. It's just MGS combat which has never been that series strong point. No cover mechanics means just soaking up damage in the open and on Hard you die very very quickly. The camera is arse, its hard to see the odradeck with stuff on your back and you're constantly having to go in and out of the menus in combat. It did force me to use my tools, fortunately I had the bola gun and hermetic grenades, anticipating a boss fight. In the end I used regular guns on the skellies (or a few sneaky takedowns), then the bola gun on Mads before immediately switching to hermatic grenades and spamming them on him. Messy but effective. I died about 8 times and so the whole boss fight took me over half an hour to get past which long sucked any fun out of it. Like I say I should have lowered the difficulty. I even got blown up at the tank section and falling plane bit like 3 or 4 times, each time getting shot up as I tried to pick up all my scattered stuff, really frustrating. Edit: Just watched a YouTuber do the episode and he only died once, in fact on normal the fight is almost trivial. Sigh.

Its made even more frustrating as having a load of cargo is really not condusive to a 3rd person shooter. My stack was too large to go through the tunnels without crouching, and I didn't want to leave precious blood and weapons behind. Without the hermatic grenades and bola gun I'd brought with me, on Hard it would have been nigh on impossible as Mads deals so much damage in a straight up gunfight, and its really hard to sneak up on him. To make matters worse, you have to manually drop used up weapons and blood bags, and its too easy to accidentally switch to empty weapons or grenades on the wheel. Overall its just really clunky and messy and although the concept is cool it left a sour taste in my mouth. The giant BT battle at the port was much the same altough to be fair metal gear's bosses have often had similar issues, seems like they haven't learned too much in that regard!

Anyway onto Episode 5 now and thankfully back to reality, great news in that I'm heading up the mountain. I don't like the zip lines though, theyre way too big and seem like they will just trivialize any repeat journeys. I envision a landscape covered in zip line towers, atmosphere ruined and no return trips necessary as you just zip line around anywhere you have unlocked the network. Hopefully I'm proved wrong. Also, despite most of the facial capture looking great, Mamas face in the flashback cutscenes was plain creepy uncanny valley.

Hopefully things take an upward turn again, looking forward to exploring around a massive waterfall I just found and maybe I will only use ziplines very sparingly. Also kind of bummed out that the WW1 stuff is in another reality, I was looking forward to encountering all that stuff later on in "this" reality as the trailers implied rather than just a sort of fever dream. Although of course there is potential for that to bleed into the main world I'm not looking forward to that as much as I was hoping. Anyway hopefully some good ol' deliveries will raise my spirits!

Oh and whoever was moaning about "that terrible character", I know exactly who you mean now and yes you're completely right, what a load of garbage that was. Thankfully it was over quickly. Someone really needed to rule over Kojima on that one and either rewrite the whole scene or just recast the actor.

By the way for anyone who is further into the game, should I start reading interviews about BTs, the death stranding and so on? I still feel completely in the dark about a lot of the stuff and so far the story has done very little explaining. Should I wait for the story to explain things or just get my reading glasses on, for example Mamas cut scene mentioned a lot of stuff Sam seemed to already know about like death stranding origins, but is so far not explained via codec or cut scene.

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Yeah I keep mentioning this but there were a good 10hours where I had no main story cut scenes at all. Think that would blow some people's minds who are reading about this game being so cutscene heavy. 35 hours in now and I'd say the longest cut scene has been like 10-15mins? 

I had heard that the game is somewhat front and back loaded with story, with the middle containing relatively little until you get to around 70% through then it ramps way back up again. I think hearing that the ending was a two hour cutscene really did it for putting me off. At that point, you’re just watching a movie. 

I’m 10-12 hours into this now and I’m absolutely loving it.

Had a session yesterday where I successfully navigated a BT zone without being caught. I moved onto raiding a mule zone, where a took down about 10 mules, grabbed the server and then burnt off in their truck.

I’ve now focused of mule zones and raiding their post boxes to get materials in order to build the road. Super satisfying sneaking into a zone, taking down a couple of guys, grabbing their gear and sneaking out undetected.

I’ve got level 3 bionic leg supports which means I can run like the wind. 

I personally think it’s a stunning game. In an industry of games where all you do is kill each other, I love the idea of everyone working together and doing their bit. It’s so clever in this respect with the things it does.

• Upvote 6

Coordinated two overlapping time sensitive missions and a trip in to MULE territory like a boss. I really like the basic Elite-on-foot mechanics of this.

I mentioned Kojima’s trademark bad writing habits before but the lack of sensitive direction on the dialogue shows up constantly too. Wrong stresses on things, like it’s the first time the actor’s seen the line and they’ve not realised how it plays out, or it’s in isolation and they’ve not really understood the context. Lot of the classic bad MGS4 stuff.

• Upvote 2