rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Has anyone looked in the mirror in your private room and had

Higgs blink in behind you and tap you on the shoulder. And then you turn around and you are wearing the bottom half of his mask? And then you wake up .

9 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Don’t worry about this, trust me.

I’m up to episode 8 and about 50-odd hours in, so have seen a lot of what’s coming your way.

The fact that you have to extend chiral network coverage before you can see and utilise structures in newly discovered areas ensures that there’s always a challenge before you, regardless of your equipment and stats.

Just as you’re getting complacent and beginning to think that nothing can stop you charging across the landscape the game will mix it up and throw some significant environmental obstacles in your way and present twists to the formula in later episodes that’ll laugh in the face of your juicy upgrades. The way they’ve judged and balanced your progression through the game in this regard is beautifully done, I’ve found. 

I won’t give anything away but you’ll be challenged in ways you hadn’t thought of and you’re in for an absolute treat both in gameplay and narrative terms.

In short: keep on keeping on!

Appreciate the advice, and yes to the other replier I had forgotten about the optional time limits etc. I've only just unlocked them and don't even know how to set self imposed limits yet!

Really happy to hear the challenge remains, and I didn't even know it went to episode 8 (don't tell me how many there are in total please), so I'm super hyped to see what else the game is gonna throw at me. I know there's a snowy area from trailers so looking forward to some treacherous mountaineering and one review mentioned a huge waterfall, can't wait!

This morning finally pushed on with the story missions and feel like I must be getting near the end of the episode. I finally finished off that big shared structure (at least to the south distro centre) giving me easy  backtracking. My playtime must be like 20 to 30 hours already but I'm not even half way, I'm in no rush, just gonna soak up the world, do plenty of side stuff and drag it out as long as I continue to enjoy it. Some reviewers played it for up to 100 hours and now I can see why. There's whole bits of the map even within network zones I've opened that I've never even set foot in. Some people are saying they wish there was more in the world. To an extent I understand that and it could do with some more incentives for exploring. Fortunately though the feeling of isolation, the atmosphere and the amazing scenery mean I'm never really bored when I'm heading off on new routes.

Quick equipment question (spoilers for 2nd weapon):

Is there a way to refill ammo on the bola gun that I've missed, or is that something you unlock later on? After my 11 shots I've been binning it and making a new one, its cheap and you don't need it much so it's not been an issue, but I'm just curious.

1 hour ago, kthxbliz said:

Thanks for the tips, I went back and somehow had a slightly easier time and got the mission done.

Ive just made it to the wind farm, by the skin of my teeth, another hairy encounter with BTs has left me pretty tired and my BB has caught a cold again and can no longer detect swamp beasties. 

To my surprise there seems no private room at the wind farm for me to charge up my Bb. What do I do, I’m fairly sure I’ll die with low health and no BB in the route back?

You'll be happy to hear when you return back the way you came the BTs have buggered off, enjoy the sunshine!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Has anyone looked in the mirror in your private room and had

Reveal hidden contents

Higgs blink in behind you and tap you on the shoulder. And then you turn around and you are wearing the bottom half of his mask? And then you wake up .

No but that's awesome. There's another really cool little thing can happen if you soothe BB in your room which took me by surprise yesterday!

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’m running it on a base PS4 slim and it looks amazing on my 4K TV with HDR, to the point I’m not bothered about upgrading really. 

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Honestly, they've optimised the game incredibly well it would seem, so I'd not buy a Pro for it, if you've got a standard PS4.

Obviously, if you don't have a PS4, then buy a Pro.

Or - and this is what the cool kids are doing - buy a stupidly expensive and powerful PC, wait until summer and buy it then.

And then don't ever play it, because you'll be fucking about with some 2d indie game that absorbs your attention to such an extent that you start to wear adult diapers instead of going to the toilet like a normal person.

I'd choose the third option.

My house smells funny.

Cheers. I've got a PS4, so think I'll just take a punt on the game itself.

I know this is the same positivity everyone posts, but: when you set up a whole run of packages to a place you were headed anyway, and stop off to finish a road en route, and decide the area needs a watchtower which goes on to get lots of likes, this thing sings. 

Walking to work this morning, backpack fully loaded, hood up, in the pouring rain, listening to the tune that plays when you first come into Port Knot City. 

Atmospheric as fuuuuuuuuuck. 

• Upvote 3

Was surprised by 

Spoiler

The radar giraffes from Horizon

Greeting me on the way back to the Distro centre last night.

Also stole a truck from the Mules, built a charge point and did some quick, effective delivery runs. :)

• Upvote 1

Just starting out. Do people usually just entrust lost packages to other players? I found a bunch but couldn't be arsed walking all the way back to the first city to deliver them myself.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

Just starting out. Do people usually just entrust lost packages to other players? I found a bunch but couldn't be arsed walking all the way back to the first city to deliver them myself.

I've not been playing long so I could be wrong but if you deliver lost packages to a postbox then you still get likes, just not as many as if you deliver them to the actual destination, so it's up to you how much the extra likes are worth your time to be honest.

I did deliver the packages back to the first delivery centre and got given a cap for my trouble. I also now have the ability to hold more materials at that particular centre but I don't know if that's even worth it because how often am I realistically going to be visiting the first delivery centre again? If the goal of the game is to keep heading west then I'm unsure of the tangible value of levelling up places you've already been to.

I enjoyed my second session on this more than the first. Even just the addition of a ladder and anchor and slightly more tricky terrain made it feel more engaging. It does feel like a game meant to be played in long sessions though, not an hour here and there. I've got a long trek to another delivery centre with two stops along the way and I reckon it will feel much more satisfying if I can complete that over one long journey than breaking it up into smaller play sessions.

• Upvote 3

Honestly I usually ignore them unless their destination is vaguely close to where I'm going. The extra space/weight isn't usually worth it (at least early on). But if you do return one to its intended destination you get a whole bunch of Likes, which in turn will help to rank up that destination. Doing that is good because you can unlock new gear and lore. So if you have space to spare, grab em, if its gonna slow you down too much don't be afraid to just pop em in a post box or just drop em on the ground.

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

I usually entrust lost packages to other people if I have no intention of returning. But, if the story gets me back -which sometimes it does- I pile them on my private locker and use a pick up truck to do it in bulk.

There are other ways to deal with this as well if you want to dedicate the time. For example, I have used many mailboxes in the middle of the map to keep lost cargo in my private locker. As I go around and arrange my destinations I can usually pick some of the lost cargo that needs to be delivered in the same destination I am going at the time. Having it in mailboxes ensures that it is much closer to pick up as I am travelling around, so I do not need to trek the entire map for some side deliveries.

Making strand contracts also help. During and after the 3rd chapter you get access to vehicles and the more contracts you have the easier it becomes to gain access to people's bikes as well. So I always have a quick way to deliver cargo.

There is a whole system on how you can improve this side gameplay, if you feel like doing it that is. For example, I have also taken the habit of carrying everything on a truck, then leaving it under a timefall shed, roughly in the middle of the distances I need to travel for al the stations/outposts, and then just use that place as a mobile center of operations. For anything extra I pick up along the way I can still put in the track and also use it to quickly transport it if need be.

• Upvote 1

The latter half of this game is still amazing. I won't mention what but there is a new form of teleportation later on where you can move between each PCC placed. It's so cool seeing one, then thinking where to place another then later discovering that another player has added another nearby, extending the chain. When I finish this game I really want to look for any videos where someone does a deep dive into this system and how exactly it works, the reason for not looking now is that I fear a lot of it will be smoke and mirrors. Where as right now I'm really enjoying the feeling of being part of a living world.

That said someone left a big truck between a thin path near a station, clearly on purpose. The swines. 

Oh question for anyone who is around chapter 5+

I've been warned about using live ammo on mules, what actually happens if you do it?

I got attacked by BT’s for the first time last night having managed to avoid them up until then, fuck that shit, didn’t know what was going on :lol:

In many ways it feels like learning to play video games all over again it’s just that different to everything else, also at times whilst there is solitude and space there’s also this inescapable tension as you are literally carrying around all your baggage with you - it’s a great metaphor. 

Honestly felt completely drained by the end of one mission and couldn’t wait to get my Sam into the shower! 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Cheers. I've got a PS4, so think I'll just take a punt on the game itself.

Counterpoint, I'm on chapter 3 and the game really struggles when using the vehicles. I mean really really struggles.

18 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

My bike has disappeared. I fell off it while driving over a tiny stream and couldn’t find it so thought I’d make the delivery on foot as it wasn’t far. But the bike has gone completely. Do vehicles get stolen if you leave them?

I honestly just read this post thinking I was still in Off Topic and it was more of ClumpyJamie’s bad luck! :lol:

• Upvote 1

I found lots of other bikes after that crash with other players names attached to them? How does it work? Are they donating bikes to other players for likes? Or does it happen automatically? If I nick someone’s bike, do they get it back (can the same vehicle exist in two different versions for two people)? Also, if I demolish someone’s structure, does it disappear for everyone or just me?

I've just had an incredibly intense experience taking the relief supplies to the port.  Possible minor spoilers below

I thought I could see a route there around the back of the incinerator plant and I was right, but it was too steep for the bike so that got junked (its also more awkward to use around BTs because of the noise).  I laid some ropes down to help anyone else minded to try this alternative, and kipped once at the location where you are prompted to build the bridge structure (there is now a complete row of them in various states of construction in my instance).  Then we trudged on and on and on and were down to the last of the new grenades before the rocky mountain pass opened up into the green swathe and the port was visible in the distance low - joy unlimited!   That experience when it just you v the environment v your weight carrying capacity and load out decisions is something special.  Now to turn on all the magic mushrooms and singing bridges :).

Edit - I noticed the clapped out bike you encounter after being able to build a generator had someone's name attached but assumed it was scripted.  Now I need to find another.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 1

Yeah I am unsure how other player vehicles work too and I've been seeing them for a while. It actually feels like there are way too many at the moment, they need to tone down the numbers as if you don't have a vehicle chances are there's a spare one lying around near by.

In the garage you can see other players shared vehicles under a separate category but as of yet I've not unlocked a way to share my own. But still I can use any other players vehicle out in the world and weirdly even store them in my own garage.

I'm guessing that they just get shared automatically in the same way as other structures when you park them somewhere. I've also found a few next to deep rivers implying maybe the owner abandoned them or sunk them accidentally. Maybe it only happens if you set your vehicle to shared presumably unlocked later in the game?

As for dismantling structures, it must be for you only, because otherwise people could just troll by dismantling everything they see. Same goes for customisation, you can actually customise other players structures if they are level 2 and change whatever they were originally set to. But again that must be local as it would be annoying for another player to change your hologram, fave tune or whatever.

I'm right at the end of episode 3 I feel like and finally after almost a week my first structures way back at the start of the game are starting to decay. Interestingly though some of the more popular ones like a watchtower and a generator have been getting repaired by other players according to my pop up messages, which is pretty cool.

I've got really greedy now my cargo capacity is so high and taking on multiple deliveries at once. My game has recently been one of logistics and planning as I try to cart around huge loads, dropping off at different destinations along the way and upgrading structures with loads of resources. It's all kind of along the story route but I have definitely spent long enough in this region and am ready to head onwards, the current mission feels like it will be the climax of the episode and presumably onto pastures new after that.

Funnily enough the structure with the most likes so far that I built is a simple ladder over a river. It was a well placed ladder if I do say so myself and I think it must be on a path a lot of players naturally take to get to the next story location, as it ballooned in popularity very quickly. It probably gets crossed all the time by people going back and forth. It's quite fascinating to see what structures end up with loads of Likes and how the system naturally pushes the most effectively placed ones into our worlds. I wonder if eventually the game will have a really optimised set of shared structures at the perfect locations. Presumably they have a system in place so you only get some of the majority up voted one's to let newer players get a look in, plus the decay system of course.

I've been watching a few lets plays of the early game on YouTube and its great to see people's different approaches in the early areas. One girl took a completely different route to the first distribution centre and so had quite a different experience to me. I went straight through BT territory along the coast whereas she went up and over the mountain using ladders and ropes and dodged the BTs altogether.

Just want to highlight a few really neat touches (not spoilery)

- Rainfall accumulating in the lower parts of the terrain dynamically

- Cargo literally floating off downstream if you fall in a river, you can even fish it out as it goes past or if you're lucky it'll flow into the bank's or get stuck on rocks

- calling out around other players signs and objects shouts you a reply back

- handprints on your backpack and black goo all over you if you get caught by BTs

- Sam nods off asleep if you leave him sitting for too long

- Mules get affected by terrain too, I saw one fall over in a river and another missed a swing at me as he lost his footing in a rock

- individual raindrops on vehicles when raining and increasing rusting on containers

- if you've been through mud reecentlt you leave footprints on dry surfaces like distribution centres

It's very much got the same attention to detail and little Easter eggs as metal gear.

One final tip, when filling a vehicke with cargo to max, make sure you line up jumps properly. I didn't and my truck crashed into a ravine and exploded. Wrecking half the cargo and forcing me to carry it back up on a rope in multiple trips, then make a number of rescue trips on a bike to recover it all. Oops :lol:

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Yes hold options button I think . Same with ropes

You can dismantle them, but they disappear from your inventory. So you can't dismantle and put somewhere else. I just tried it.

I'm up to episode 8 now. Have to say, there was a fair bit of filler in episode 7.

Spoiler

Oh no, your BB unit is faulty, extend the chiral network to help fix your BB. But travelling to the different places without a BB unit, and in all that snow, was just a ball-ache. Those missions were pure filler to pad out the game. 

BT’s are doing my head in now, I find the terrain, the time fall, the mules and whatever else quite enough - but they just get on my nerves. I like it but I feel like I’m getting nowhere at the moment, tried the same mission 3 or 4 times and I’m only early on. 

Dealing with BTs gets easier/more bearable. This is an odd game, part of says you should stick with it; another part says ditch it for something with good gameplay. 

Yes, the actual gameplay in this is crap. The driving physics are sub PS2 era. It's the plot and Kojima madness that has kept me intrested ... to a point. 

• Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I've just had an incredibly intense experience taking the relief supplies to the port.  Possible minor spoilers below

I thought I could see a route there around the back of the incinerator plant and I was right, but it was too steep for the bike so that got junked (its also more awkward to use around BTs because of the noise).  I laid some ropes down to help anyone else minded to try this alternative, and kipped once at the location where you are prompted to build the bridge structure (there is now a complete row of them in various states of construction in my instance).  Then we trudged on and on and on and were down to the last of the new grenades before the rocky mountain pass opened up into the green swathe and the port was visible in the distance low - joy unlimited!   That experience when it just you v the environment v your weight carrying capacity and load out decisions is something special.  Now to turn on all the magic mushrooms and singing bridges :).

Edit - I noticed the clapped out bike you encounter after being able to build a generator had someone's name attached but assumed it was scripted.  Now I need to find another.

I did exactly the same delivery last night. I thought I would try to be clever and avoid the narrow valley up the centre of the route because that was an obvious place for BTs, so I tried to go up  a narrow valley to the left with a fast stream in it. However, when I got to the end it was too steep to climb and it wouldn't let me build ladders. I worked my way back down, looking for a place to build ladders so that I could climb up over the peak to get to the other side where the Port is, but ended up bashing myself on rocks and a lot of my cargo went falling down the cliff. So then I was in to building ropes to get back down and eventually ran out of ladders so re-loaded a save I made just before the valley. Ended up going the obvious route and sneaking through.

Seeing that Port was such a relief!