rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

I found it funny you were listening to the Skyrim soundtrack while you were playing lol

A lot has been said about the actual gameplay. I’m currently really enjoying it. Everything’s going well and I’m enjoying the terrain I’m on. Also just unlocked something to help take down the enemies so I’ve been playing a little hide n seek. I could quite happily play this for a while I think.

...and I can carry an -insane amount of stuff now which is entertaining

12 hours ago, MattyP said:

Nice interview with Kojima...

Such a good interview in which he asks excellent questions and in which Kojima In turn gives excellent answers. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Can't believe I've both ordered this and dusted off the PS4.  The small font is going to drive me crazy I know.

Just buy a bigger TV ;)

• Upvote 1

I've been pottering around in Episode 3 the last few days, the area is massive. Still really enjoying it and have unlocked a bunch of handy tools which make life easier and bring more decision making into the mix. Of course it continues to look gorgeous!

Yesterday I must have spent about 6 hours just doing missions around the same large area, story missions, side deliveries and just returning players cargo to them and stuff. I was tired so it was a perfect kind of pace for me. I didnt even have a vehicle for most of it until I stole a Mules truck and then spent ages ferrying resources around helping to build player structures for all of our benefit. In this episode that aspect comes to the fore and its really cool how you work together to build stuff that benefits everyone in the long run. For stuff that you've worked on you get wee pop up messages telling you when other players used it or contribute to it themselves which really enforces the feeling of connection.

Spoilers about the mechanics of one of these shared structures in Episode 3:

So I was helping to build a road of which each segment requires loads of resources. I managed to almost get one done and then when I came back from a mission a massive highway segment was floating in mid air, I had no idea how huge it would be and it was frikkin awesome not to mention looking cool! Then I finished off the next few sections with the help of other players and used the road with my truck to do a bunch of long deliveries and even get close to my next story destination without having to walk, very satisfying and rewarding! They seem to have balanced it well as none of it was built when I started, and when I played tonight the road segments in my latest area are still not complete, so it's not like you log off and everything's suddenly covered in structures overnight.

I thought I might get bored of this delivery malarkey in hours but I'm actually enjoying it even more now, and it drip feeds just enough new stuff to keep it interesting, plus of course the world is so enticing to explore even though its only populated with player structures and the odd enemy. I haven't experienced any cutscenes or major story beats for like 8 hours but I really don't care. I'm really dragging this game out because I don't really want it to end, even though I'm probably not even at the half way point!

• Upvote 5

Ah! Just when I thought Death Stranding was veering towards being Kojima's most sensible game yet I'm pleased to say it goes full on bonkers-mental after

The final showdown with Higgs

I have absolutely no fucking idea what's going to happen now :p 

Is it explained how all the enemy camps and their tents and vehicles are seemingly immune to timefall?

This game is maddening because it is doing just enough to keep me playing whilst constantly making me sigh. My favourite part of yesterday's session was having a simple gameplay element introduced and explained in two separate 5 minute cut-scenes.

Yet at the same time, I find the world itself so stunning and enjoyable to explore. I love going into areas full of old ruins and I've managed to get a bit better at dodging BT's so that bit is less frustrating.

It's such an interesting game though. I still after 12 odd hours veer from masterpiece to dogshite about 6 times an hour playing it.

16 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Is it explained how all the enemy camps and their tents and vehicles are seemingly immune to timefall?

This game is maddening because it is doing just enough to keep me playing whilst constantly making me sigh. My favourite part of yesterday's session was having a simple gameplay element introduced and explained in two separate 5 minute cut-scenes.

Yet at the same time, I find the world itself so stunning and enjoyable to explore. I love going into areas full of old ruins and I've managed to get a bit better at dodging BT's so that bit is less frustrating.

It's such an interesting game though. I still after 12 odd hours veer from masterpiece to dogshite about 6 times an hour playing it.

It hasn't been explained but each camp or city are within a network and that provides some kind of shielding (see all the little rods around). Everything else built is slowly getting destroyed by timefall. 

At least that's how I make sense of it.

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I still after 12 odd hours veer from masterpiece to dogshite about 6 times an hour playing it.

You are me and I claim my five pounds!! The plot has moved on again, it's completely bonkers. However, I really do like the basic premise of the BTs, it's unique. 

• Upvote 1

If someone was able to convince Kojima to accept a little help with cleaning up the script, the whole thing would make an absolutely brilliant tv series. The ideas in this game are magnificent.

• Upvote 2

Agree with Alan's post above, had such a great time hanging out in episode 3 last night, it really is the episode where the game settles into it's stride and all you have learned from the previous episodes come together. Loving this.

just got back and spent a few hours... utterly captivated, the batshit mental aspect of this really does appeal to me, and bizarrely the whole traversal thing is kind of on par with spintires another game I love. 

Not felt such a sense of confusion and captivation since I first played dark souls and the lore that fuels the game. And the whole helping other players by leaving ladders and finishing deliveries is really akin to summoning in the souls games, you don't feel alone and feel part of something special.

The moments the tunes kick in feel really like Tetris Effect to me and its really pushing all my buttons.

I cant really explain why I am captivated but its really really superb and Im made up I love it as I thought id hate it.

• Upvote 7

25+ hours in. Missions now are really starting to remind me of MGSV, where I'm finding that these missions play out like unique to me stories. I can't go into detail because of gameplay/story aspects but there were multiple scenarios I found myself in that I don't think many other players will experience. There were tense mad moments where I really questioned if what I faced was setup to be part of the mission or if it was a result of my choices/route. Despite the messy side of MGSV, it DID have this amazing sense of letting you do a mission how you wanted and not in a cheap A, B or C method but where your plan organically adjusts along the way.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

Despite the messy side of MGSV, it DID have this amazing sense of letting you do a mission how you wanted and not in a cheap A, B or C method but where your plan organically adjusts along the way.

Aah yes the classic plan it all, smoothly go in and oh shit, oh shit they're seen me/I've fallen out of a bush/walked in to a door/whatever...GO LOUD, GO LOUD and kill every last mutha. Or was that just me?  :lol:

Ahem... ;)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Dave White said:

just got back and spent a few hours... utterly captivated, the batshit mental aspect of this really does appeal to me, and bizarrely the whole traversal thing is kind of on par with spintires another game I love. 

Not felt such a sense of confusion and captivation since I first played dark souls and the lore that fuels the game. And the whole helping other players by leaving ladders and finishing deliveries is really akin to summoning in the souls games, you don't feel alone and feel part of something special.

The moments the tunes kick in feel really like Tetris Effect to me and its really pushing all my buttons.

I cant really explain why I am captivated but its really really superb and Im made up I love it as I thought id hate it.

I’m just installing mine off the disc (taking hours) can’t wait to play it. 

After throwing a test tube of Norman Reedus bath water at a ghost and misunderstanding its effect, I got this game's version of Alert Mode for the first time. What the actual fuck.

• Upvote 1

Ah, good old Hideo...the story's just crossed over from being almost coherent to completely fucking bat-shit crackers.

I'm working out if this is good or bad.

think it's good, although it hasn't quite gone the way it probably should have if someone who was vaguely sensible was writing it ;) 

Not having much time to play I'm still pottering around in Episode 3 but slowly moving further and further afield. The terrain's got really rough and I have to moan about the terrible bike physics. I don't have a problem with the concept of not being able to drive everywhere, its just that the implementation is soooo janky. In bumpy terrrain your bike gets caught on things, bounces off things in a completely unrealistic manner and even teleports in small doses as the physics system tries to figure out what the hell's going on. It looks bad, feels bad and breaks the immersion. I wonder if they'll give it an overhaul in a patch because it's pretty jarring.

Talking of bikes, I spent my last few precious metals at a distribution centre to build a bike I sorely needed. As I was exiting the base I needed to cross a wee river and saw player signs either side of what looked like a ford. Oh, a ford, I thought, and drove into it. It wasn't signs for ford, it was signs for deep water. My bike sank and I lost it seconds after taking it on the road :lol:

Thankfully the social aspect of the game paid it's dues once again, as some kind soul had left a shared bike in the garage for me to use. Thank you random player!

Then about half an hour later I was driving away from some mules really fast, tried to take a jump over a narrow ravine - and the stupid bike got wedged horizontally in between the two walls of the ravine! I couldn't do anything except get out, fell about 20 meters and almost died (BB didn't like that for some reason...). I managed to get back up and sat on it again, when it had a fit and then fell to the ravine bottom, almost killing me yet again and almost ruining the bike. And there's an example of why bikes are janky as feck.

Bike woes aside, the latest sub regions have brought a nice element of planning into the mix. You're far from home base so you have to think carefully about what to take for the job and how you're going to carry back mission cargo. Factor in stuff like timefall, BTs, mules, stamina and batteries and there's a lot to consider. Do you take a vehicle at the risk of having to abandon it, should you build a postbox or generator near by to the objective? Player structures become really vital and someone's well placed object can accumulate thousands of likes as hundreds of players need it at that exact moment. But what if the area you're heading to isn't in the network? Then you can't build close to the objective and must think about putting structures on the network boundary. But some of these cost resources, so its like a side quest to put in the infrastructure you'll need, maybe requesting assistance from other players to build something big you can all use. It's a really compelling loop where you can't just go from A to B any more but have to plan it out, I like it.

This sounds like a really stupid question, but is there any benefit to getting likes from other players? So far by getting other player likes, I only seem to have managed to give out more likes, or did I miss something? There is a point to getting likes from NPC deliveries, because doing so upgrades your "star" rating at their home, which can unlock more equipment and other bonuses like interviews. It also upgrades your porter ranks which upgrades various aspects of your character. But other players, I'm not so sure. At the moment my "bridges" stat is way higher than all the others (at like level 70 or something) compared to 30ish for the next best category. Am I in danger of becoming OP too early due to my bridges level, or is it mainly for feeling good about helping out so many players?

One niggle I have to raise again is the inability to skip animations. When you're doing stuff like recycling, donating resources, or anything in Sam's room, just let me press a button to skip the cutscene instead of having to pause and select skip. When I take a shower I have to go through this 3 times. It's ridiculous and something they have to address in a QOL patch. I'm all for immersion but this is taking it way too far.

Other than that, happily trundling along, in fact I'll be kind of sad to move the story on. There's a bunch of little sub regions I can see on the map and I'm not sure if I should head off to try and add them to the network, or if side missions or the story will take me everywhere anyway. Spoiler free advice about this would be appreciated. Although I'm quite happy to do lot of side stuff, I'm also a bit wary of becoming OP for this point in the game by unlocking rewards like better equipment etc.

Back to BT territory!

• Upvote 2

Oh man I’m only on Episode 2 so a couple of hours or so, but it’s really, really pushing my buttons. I was actually surprised at how quickly I was handed control, thought there would be a two hour intro or something, and straight away the controls felt really responsive as I walked around and hiked over the rough terrain. In fact I’m looking forward to just going on a massive hike as at the moment I’m just being slowly introduced to the games various systems. 

I mean this is some proper high concept hard sci-fi gaming,  and you have to hand it to Kojima and Sony for bringing the weirdness and making a difference. 

• Upvote 4

Done! It's a great story. Could have done with a shit ton of editing though.

The gameplay... hmmm no. Social functions are nice, but that's like saying a sip of water is nice when you are dying of thirst. I suppose it's a good time killer if you have time off with no plan in sight, summer holidays etc.

That ending though... and they say CoD was controversial... how did Death Stranding get away with this?

Also,

Spoiler

Mario and Princess Beach

LOLOLOL (cringe)

Raided a camp a knocked out everyone in it. Stole their truck. Loaded it full of stuff and went on a multi drop run. Made life so much easier. Then I got sent to some far away base and it was fun getting there but it forced me into my personal room and alas it was gone when I came back to the surface. Of course it was bike time once again... :/

On 10/11/2019 at 20:51, Cyhwuhx said:

Also, invest in two rubber bands for L2 and R2, because why would you ever let go of them?

Because you move way slower! It takes seconds of experimenting to realise this. 

Holding the straps all the time does stabilise you but you’ll lightly jog along. 

Balance yourself carefully and move in a straight line without holding the buttons and you’re much quicker