rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

1 minute ago, Harrisown said:

No idea why people watch other people play games they want to play themselves...

Most of the time I agree, but I'm someone who has never had an issue with spoilers or any of that gaff, plus replay games probably more than is healthy.

Also, as said I don't have a PS4 at the moment, and by the time I get the thing on PC I'll have forgotten most of the thing.

It's not such a strange notion after all :p 

• Upvote 1

17 hours in.

Had my first really frustrating mission last night, retrieving something from a MULE camp. Took about 3 hours for this one mission, must have took over 10 attempts. In the end, the way I did it was...(non story spoilers, just gameplay)

Spoiler

Be Rambo. The truck came along, I was able to knock out each person. Then I made my way into the camp and took them on one at a time. It was no easy feat but stealth just wasn't working for me  and after the 6th or 7th attempt at playing slowly it was getting frustrating. Thankfully I had the bolt 2 gun, so did lots of that followed by a kick. 

During this mission I also noticed something cool about what happens if they steal your stuff;

Spoiler

The MULES stole my stuff and I ran away. Then I went a different route back and found two MULES carrying MY stuff and heading towards the content's destination port to pass it off as their own and get my likes. I was able to get my packages back (used a smoke grenade followed by bolt gun) and walk the final 100m or so to deliver them. It was a cool moment, I guess that's part of the MULE system. They steal and then try to deliver it.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Something, something, football.

Also something something Dark Soul trilogy.

Because I fucking suck at them, but cannot get enough of the lore!

• Empathy 1

I swear I had played the game for about 10 hours straight with no main story cutscenes at all. Who are these people saying the game has too many cut scenes? Maybe that changes in the last half of the game and it's that what they mostly remember.

You know what’s worse than MULEs? (Which are a fucking amazing concept by the way.) People who climb a rope and don’t throw it back down behind them when they’re done. :quote:

I feel like I’ll enjoy this more if I stop reading the text logs. I’m being told most of it in a more interesting way by characters 5 minutes after they’re unlocked, it’s needlessly literal-minded and undermines the sense of mystery, and oof is some of it dumb in a way that Kojima didn’t have to reveal.

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

You know what’s worse than MULEs? (Which are a fucking amazing concept by the way.) People who climb a rope and don’t throw it back down behind them when they’re done. :quote:

I feel like I’ll enjoy this more if I stop reading the text logs. I’m being told most of it in a more interesting way by characters 5 minutes after they’re unlocked, it’s needlessly literal-minded and undermines the sense of mystery, and oof is some of it dumb in a way that Kojima didn’t have to reveal.

It’s possibly one of Kojima’s biggest weaknesses as a storyteller. He seems to have an inability to think ‘less is more’. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Sorry. I’ve done that. But mainly as I did t realise you could. And every time I felt bad. 

How do you throw the rope back. I bet it’s stupidly bloody obvious

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are the BB visions/scenes supposed to repeat? I just got one I've seen before. 

Exactly the same? As far as I’ve seen so far there are a number which are very, very similar to one another...

This tbh is the most interesting thread all year. Ioved MGS 1 and 2 and enjoyed 3 a lot too but 4 had a ridiculous amount of cutscenes and Kojima cannot write a decent plot now his limitations have slowly dissolved. 

But, it does sound kinda cool. It's new, it's interesting but is it good? I dunno. I'll play it eventually I'm sure. But I've enjoyed what I've read here. 

11 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Exactly the same? As far as I’ve seen so far there are a number which are very, very similar to one another...

Exactly the same. 

Spoiler

The one about the world being all one continent before splitting off. 

Oh wow, one actor is atrocious. 

Spoiler

The girl separated from her boyfriend. Who is she, one of the devs neices or something? Woeful acting, I hope I never see her again now that I've completed thaf little quest line. 

Also, this is creepy as fuck. How old is she, 14? Dude's in his 20s easily. 

7 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

So I'm clearly in the camp that finds routine tasks highly relaxing/ engaging. I've been playing for around 10 hours now and haven't ventured past the first delivery area as I feel obligated to keep returning everyone's abandoned packages stored in the shared lockers. 

I can't explain why this has its hooks in me.

I’m exactly the same! 
I’m really, really loving this. Even more than I expected. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, spanx said:

Sorry. I’ve done that. But mainly as I did t realise you could. And every time I felt bad. 

How do you throw the rope back. I bet it’s stupidly bloody obvious

Sam throws the rope directly behind him when you release it, so if you let go while you’re still facing away from the edge (or just take the rope, then face away from the edge) you’ll throw it down. :) 

Getting tired of it again. Also hit an invisible wall which is just cheap as fuck. I thought I'd found another way to get somewhere. But no, Sam just stops. Bad game design. 

Hmmm, I've just unlocked.. 

Spoiler

... lethal weapons. Won't killing people be counter productive? Won't the corpses crater or something? 

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Oh wow, one actor is atrocious. 

Reveal hidden contents

The girl separated from her boyfriend. Who is she, one of the devs neices or something? Woeful acting, I hope I never see her again now that I've completed thaf little quest line. 

Also, this is creepy as fuck. How old is she, 14? Dude's in his 20s easily. 

According to a thread on Something Awful.

She's some gravure model Kojima has been obsessed with on Twitter for awhile, I guess she convinced him she was fluent in English and also an actress.