rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

Fuck me that Tim Rogers review is genius. 

It really is. One of the best video reviews I've ever seen. Definitely the funniest. And really made me want to play Death Stranding!

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely not going to order this. Ive jst been hit with a £5K bill and I could really do without spending the money. Plus it's the youngest birthday at the end of the month and then there's Christmas.

I'll wait until Falllen order comes out and then make a decision.

Definitely can't justify this, despite being intruging it's definitely also looking hit and miss.

5AC02BB0-67C1-40E6-952F-16F2394A257C.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, barkbat said:

It really is. One of the best video reviews I've ever seen. Definitely the funniest. And really made me want to play Death Stranding!

I’ve not seen any of his stuff before but I’m now a fan. 

On 04/11/2019 at 03:44, deerokus said:

Following my last post here I was just looking in the God of War thread to remind me of just how exactly all those reviewers completely lost their minds over that game. Even more bizarre in retrospect than it seemed at the time, they were all certain that it was something previously impossible, a new beginning for the entire industry.

I watched a couple of videos and couldn't see anything fresh besides its boomerang mechanic. With GoW, Spider-Man and RDR2, I think there's a disparity between what they are (not bad games at all) and what we wish they were, and after the honeymoon we think about how they've improved on gameplay from the 2000s.

After almost a week of podcast discussion and various reviews, this seems to share an awful lot with Metal Gear Survive, a game everyone pre-hated because it didn't have Kojima's name on it and the split reviews of this seem to indicate there might be a case of Kojima's new clothes with some people just liking it because they think they should. Or it could genuinely be good.

Either way, excited to find out tomorrow thanks to my mate buying it and glorious game sharing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, barkbat said:

Certainly one of the most self satisfied video reviews I’ve seen. Seven minutes in and so far he’s essentially said nothing. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Garibaldi said:

Certainly one of the most self satisfied video reviews I’ve seen. Seven minutes in and so far he’s essentially said nothing. 

Stick with it. It’s very silly and odd but he actually has some great points to make and the different ways he reviews the game are genuinely brilliant. 

16 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Stick with it. It’s very silly and odd but he actually has some great points to make and the different ways he reviews the game are genuinely brilliant. 

Reached about twenty minutes in but can’t do the whole hour. It gets a bit better, admittedly, though Mr Rogers had already exhausted much of my goodwill with that intro. It’s a curious approach (this far in anyway) to stress the game is a classic then mention a one hour cutscene, showing that Kojima seemingly learnt nothing from the mistakes of MGS4, and a ‘miserable’ twenty hour on-ramp (wtf?) 

It’s over-analyzation to the extent that every mistake or tedious mechanic is taken as an intentional one, making a grander point, because that approach allows certain folk to show how erudite they are by nodding along. I must have somewhat simpler tastes, because to my mind it’s no more complicated than this: if you’re going to bore me for the first twenty hours of your game, then you’ve fucked up. 

I guess it’s inevitable that after years of AAA Ubisoft collect-em-ups, which it behooved reviewers to cover, a number of those same reviewers would feel protective towards a wilfully oddball, AAA game like Death Stranding. It almost doesn’t matter that it has such a scattershot approach, simply because it’s trying something different on the big stage. I mean, I get it. But this game is not different enough from those same bland collect-em-ups to be judged via an entirely new system or set of standards. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

But this game is not different enough from those same bland collect-em-ups to be judged via an entirely new system or set of standards. 

How did you get your copy early?

And it sounds like it just doesn’t come together as a game. Bit of a shame really. I was looking forward to seeing what he’d do when let off the leash, but this seems (if that review is to be believed) to be less than the sum of its parts.

1 hour ago, macosx said:

Telling from that, in a game about connection; the most successful part of it is the solitude of being in the landscape.

Makes you think. Share if you agree.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad Giant Bomb reviewed it and Edge really should too. Feels unfair on other games that get middling/poor scores. A non review is far less likely to help decide a purchase than a low scoring one.

downloaded and ready to go for tonight...

I’m going in for the story and characters/character design I guess.

I think it’ll be a good podcast/radio/music game.

I also expect there to be lots of very strange add-ons either free or paid or just patched in.

13 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

I'm glad Giant Bomb reviewed it and Edge really should too. Feels unfair on other games that get middling/poor scores. A non review is far less likely to help decide a purchase than a low scoring one.

If Edge don’t review it, it sounds like it’s more SIE/Koj Prod’s fault than Edge’s. Their insistence that you have to finish it to review it is silly given it’s 50+ hours long. 

I wanted this to be good, but all these reviews make it sound like such a slog. 

I usually find the traversal the most boring part of these open world games, and it seems like its really hard work just to get from A to B in this.

Such a shame, as I've loved all the Metal Gears. 

I wonder how much input Kojima even had in this. From reading about it, it feels as though he wrote his usual crazy film script ideas, then left his team to try and fit a game in the middle somewhere, with none of it fully fleshed out or gelling together.

It’ll be interesting to hear what people make of it on here, but that gif in the Giant Bomb review coupled with what sounds like a massively over-indulgent story has really put me off.

28 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Actually really looking forward to playing this now . Something so divisive is usually worth experiencing . Should hopefully be here today ! 

Looking forward to your thoughts on this. I'm gonna wait a bit before buying.

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

I wonder how much input Kojima even had in this. From reading about it, it feels as though he wrote his usual crazy film script ideas, then left his team to try and fit a game in the middle somewhere, with none of it fully fleshed out or gelling together.

From his Twitter feed over the last year it seems more like he micromanaged every aspect of the thing.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

From his Twitter feed over the last year it seems more like he micromanaged every aspect of the thing.

Ah, I don’t use Twitter, so haven’t really heard much before the reviews. Weird that it sounds like a load of random ideas that don’t really work together then. Maybe he needs more input from his team to rein it in.