IGNORED

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Capwn

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well you can define it however you like, I’m just wondering how that challenges or detracts from it. 

I didn’t say it did. I was responding to someone saying it was unfair. 

But for the sake of argument, let’s say he thought the game was awful or that despite really liking it, he thinks the way Kojima treats his female characters is embarrassing or sexist. Do you think PlayStation UK would let him say that on their official channel?

29 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t say it did. I was responding to someone saying it was unfair. 

But for the sake of argument, let’s say he thought the game was awful or that despite really liking it, he thinks the way Kojima treats his female characters is embarrassing or sexist. Do you think PlayStation UK would let him say that on their official channel?

No . 

Does that make his review any less honest?

Its very difficult to fake enthusiasm . What about when he eulogises about games not published by SIE. Is that advertorial?

46 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

No . 

Does that make his review any less honest?

Its very difficult to fake enthusiasm . What about when he eulogises about games not published by SIE. Is that advertorial?

I don’t know how not being able to speak your mind affects your perception of a piece of criticism less than “it’s hard to fake enthusiasm” (in today’s age of influencers, no less), but perhaps we should just pause this here and maybe I can PM you later regarding some magic beans that I’m pretty excited about. 

Without commenting on the quality of Death Stranding, people enthuse about bullshit all the time. The more artsy they are, the more voluminous they are in their praise. 

Once someone starts talking about shedding a tear whilst soaking in the majesty of a sunrise amidst the rain dappled glades, silently (but unashamedly, of course) weeping at whether they ever deserve to witness such ephemeral majesty with their pitiful human eyeballs I immediately tune out.

Honestly, I put more stock in an opening line like 'Jesus Christ, this game is good'.

Why is it that everyone gets het up about websites and magazines potentially being paid off for giving a good review, but are entirely uncritical when a good review appears in video form on an official channel: where it’s definitely been paid for? And then get really defensive about it?

its like “look Gears of War 5 is amazing: it says so on Inside Xbox!” (When it’s ok, but not the second coming)

50 minutes ago, footle said:

Why is it that everyone gets het up about websites and magazines potentially being paid off for giving a good review, but are entirely uncritical when a good review appears in video form on an official channel: where it’s definitely been paid for? And then get really defensive about it?

Hah! There's always someone to protect a publisher from scrutiny.

50 minutes ago, footle said:

its like “look Gears of War 5 is amazing: it says so on Inside Xbox!” (When it’s ok, but not the second coming)

Fun fact - you’ll get angry feedback either way. Our site gave god of war a 7.5 and was assailed by a frothing army of commenters screaming about the usual - paid off, fanboys of other consoles, not good enough to get through it... a lot of angry posters want the scores to match their expectations, and get enraged if it deviates from that by being shit, or being great, or whatever.

12 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Curiously, we didn’t get a review code for death stranding.

There's nothing curious about it. You can be as judgemental all you like in the text but if that review score is low then you're struck off. I've never read so many reviews of a game that tried to put a positive spin on poor gameplay and clumsy inventory managament. If that makes it a 7 rather than a 9 then so be it. But don't try and hand wave it away because you're scared of upsetting Mr.Sony

I bet than IGN reviewer is copping some heat for that 6.8 right now. It's a shame too because 6.8 is not a bad score at all, it's nearly 2 points above average but in this modern media that hands out 9.5s and 10's out like candy it's seen as absolutely crucifying. 

In the end the only review that matters...is your own

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Without commenting on the quality of Death Stranding, people enthuse about bullshit all the time. The more artsy they are, the more voluminous they are in their praise. 

Once someone starts talking about shedding a tear whilst soaking in the majesty of a sunrise amidst the rain dappled glades, silently (but unashamedly, of course) weeping at whether they ever deserve to witness such ephemeral majesty with their pitiful human eyeballs I immediately tune out.

Honestly, I put more stock in an opening line like 'Jesus Christ, this game is good'.

Right, does no one remember the same pish being said about God of War? That was a good game, but as with this the reviews came out well before release and the critics were talking about breaking down in tears as the credits rolled, how it's the defining piece of art of the century, something every person walking this earth had to play that will revolutionise the entire medium.

And then everyone played it and was like "it's a good third person action game, but nothing earth-shattering". 

Certain critics have a tendency to get like this about Sony exclusives in particular for *some* reason, who can say what that might be. 

When I read comments like those God of War ones it has the opposite effect on me. The thought of a grown man crying because a game where you primarily cave heads in with an axe actually had a reasonable story just makes me laugh rather than start shitting myself with hype.

Any news on if this actually is MGS Zero? That’s all I’m concerned about at this stage. I watched a few videos where one guy took a picture, reversed it, flipped it upside down, cut a few bits from it, mirrored them, and the resulting picture looked like it said MGS0 if you squinted while riding on the back of a galloping horse. 

There was a bit more to the video, but it had me at that bit tbh. 

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

There's nothing curious about it. You can be as judgemental all you like in the text but if that review score is low then you're struck off. I've never read so many reviews of a game that tried to put a positive spin on poor gameplay and clumsy inventory managament. If that makes it a 7 rather than a 9 then so be it. But don't try and hand wave it away because you're scared of upsetting Mr.Sony

I bet than IGN reviewer is copping some heat for that 6.8 right now. It's a shame too because 6.8 is not a bad score at all, it's nearly 2 points above average but in this modern media that hands out 9.5s and 10's out like candy it's seen as absolutely crucifying. 

In the end the only review that matters...is your own

Ha, I removed that line but the internet never forgets.

i was also faking the ‘curious’ part obviously, it makes sense that publishers want to protect their aggregate score. I read a thing saying that the reviews for death stranding are basically a ton of people trying very, very hard not to say that they didn’t like it much - though I think i’d Enjoy it personally speaking. I like untamed wilderness, and this has a lot of that.

also, I liked the ign review. It’s odd how some people just can’t handle differing opinions*, particularly on games they haven’t played.

*Ninja gaiden black is excluded from this statement, as anyone who dislikes it is clearly an ABSOLU

4 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Its a bit like "it's a Nintendo game so let's add 2 to the score" thing.

Usually because Nintendo just actually are 2 points better than everyone else though. 

Most overrated game this gen award has to go to RDR2 IMO. 

I’m surprised that pointing out that official Playstation channel Playstation Access’s existence is to promote Sony product is controversial.

That it is watchable and made to resemble a chummy games show with independent views is simply testament to modern marketing. That so many people seem invested in this ‘show’ is testament that it works a treat.

As for “you can’t fake enthusiasm” checkout this old review of Frosties by a regular kid. It might be made by Kellogs, but fuck me, you can’t fake that joy.

8 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’m surprised that pointing out that official Playstation channel Playstation Access’s existence is to promote Sony product is controversial.

That it is watchable and made to resemble a chummy games show with independent views is simply testament to modern marketing. That so many people seem invested in this ‘show’ is testament that it works a treat.

As for “you can’t fake enthusiasm” checkout this old review of Frosties by a regular kid. It might be made by Kellogs, but fuck me, you can’t fake that joy.

Tbh it’s like pointing out that the Official PlayStation Magazine is there to promote PlayStation games, kind of obvious. 

Rob Pearson has been banging on about Metal Gear Solid since forever on their channel, even when there’s fuck all Metal Gear Solid games out. Now I realise they were playing the long game, it was all a ruse, he’s probably never even played a video game before. 

10 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

"I can hear the sound of Frosties hitting my plate"

Plate?  Who eats Frosties off a plate? 

22 hours ago, Stanley said:

Also the world is built in a very deliberate way and signposted, either subtly or not, so as the player can parse the environment and navigate it easily. You know, there are very easy to spot landmarks and clues - and it’s all handcrafted.

I was thinking about how I'd help design the next GTA, alongside its unwanted influence on BotW re: Koroks (Hyrule's pigeons). The latter's designers crafted a world that enabled them to predict many of our chosen paths through it, but apart from shrines, the best rewards they could come up with were Koroks and/or a nice view. The hardest part's done — the hidden funneling, but the payoff's undercooked.

So the next GTA... I'd add a context-sensitive button for interacting with places and objects of interest (Duke was flushing toilets in '96!), plus all people (the majority wouldn't have much to say, obviously). Because I feel that mission markers are one of Rockstar's most outdated mechanics, and just being able to interact with things in a manner besides shooting them would be huge. Have 12 main, in-depth story missions, and then 100 or so sidemissions, minigames and challenges.

You'd see someone fishing in an interesting spot, so you'd go up and hit chat to find yourself in a fishing challenge. Another time you'd drive from the top of a multistory to the bottom and a message would appear: BAD LUCK. THE RECORD IS X:X. So you'd get a faster vehicle and beat it, and then compete against your best time thereafter. Try your best to reward players for engaging with aspects you've designed to entice them into predictables actions. Failing to do this makes it feel like you've built the rides and brought in Ray Von to run them. Get rid of the Yakuzas' clunking AV cues.

Also add climbing (as I'm sure they will), because imagine BotW without it. Within reason, though; I'd aim for something a bit less agile than Drake.

[edit]

I suppose what this has to do with Death Stranding is that there seems to be a fairly widespread fatigue with openworlders right now.

4 hours ago, Down by Law said:

When I read comments like those God of War ones it has the opposite effect on me. The thought of a grown man crying because a game where you primarily cave heads in with an axe actually had a reasonable story just makes me laugh rather than start shitting myself with hype.

Fergus credits his Tekken involvement with helping him away from suicidal ideation (didn't imagine that, did I?). But then it does have a good story about that time Heihachi wore a thong.

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

"With Tony I'll mate!"

:blink: