Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

12 minutes ago, Majora said:

Giant Bomb Podcast totally put me off this to the point where I'm going to cancel my preorder and just play Outer Worlds next week instead. It didn't even sound like it worked well as a sedate exploration game which is what I was still kind of in it for.

They basically said that there are occasional glimpses where it all comes together, mainly when you're just left to get on with the business of traversing empty landscapes from A to B and building stuff other players can use. But then you lose balance again and all your stuff comes tumbling off your back again and your baby starts crying again(which you literally have to rock back to sleep) and you have to slowly put all the packages back on your back again and then you run into a group of rogue couriers and indulge in the most perfunctory sounding combat ever and.... it just sounds pretty tedious.

Thing this, there's apparently nothing to discover in this world. No point in exploring except maybe to find a slightly quicker way of getting from A to B. No sights to see because everywhere is this desolate wasteland and it all ends up looking the same. Then of course the interminable cutscenes and reams of heavy handed expository dialogue. 

It sounds like a few of them could have liked it had it actually focused more intently on just navigation and building but it's surrounded by all this narrative and mechanical nonsense that ends up just swamping it. As it is, I don't think any of the group actually liked it and some of them downright loathed it. I don't take their word as gospel or anything but if actual diehard Kojima fans think the writing is terrible and what they're saying about the game mechanically is actually true I don't possibly see how it could be worth 50 quid and perhaps more importantly, 50 hours of my time right now.

This.

It sounds like something which could and should have had a quick turnaround on a small budget. I love weird little indie games that try new mechanics or ideas that are a bit outside of the norm, even if it’s short lived and light on actual game play, sometimes because they’re short experiences and therefore don’t outstay their welcome. This sounds like the bare bones of something with very little else going on in search of a greater meaning, desperately scrabbling around for some kind of intellectual reason to exist that just isn’t there. 

You know, it just sounds like the reason we’ve struggled to understand this title for the last few years after countless lengthy obtuse trailers and game play demonstrations, isn’t because it’s difficult to explain, it’s just that there’s nothing there, and nothing to understand. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Or an endless deluge of incredibly bland sequels and franchises with no interesting ideas. Depending on your completely subjective opinion.

So many of us are hungry for big-budget invention that you can see why it comes naturally to will ourselves to enjoy it, to the point that for the past couple of years many have said they'll definitely buy it — even build PCs for it — with scant knowledge of how it plays.

43 minutes ago, Majora said:

But then you lose balance again and all your stuff comes tumbling off your back again and your baby starts crying again(which you literally have to rock back to sleep) and you have to slowly put all the packages back on your back again and then you run into a group of rogue couriers chuggers and indulge in the most perfunctory sounding combat ever and.... it just sounds pretty tedious like Christmas shopping.

The idea that there aren't loads of amazing games out at the moment and we aren't spoiled for choice is hilarious.

I also suspect you'll find more moments of wonder in one hour of Outer Wilds than you'll find in this in fifty.

• Upvote 1

Put me in the "the bad reviews have only hyped me more" category. This is what I've always wanted, Kojima totally untethered and out of control. A perfect storm of insane hubris, budget and creative freedom. This was always likely to be a mess, but it's going to be a beautiful mess of the like we don't get enough of. Something a bit different at last, thank god.

• Upvote 3
37 minutes ago, Benny said:

The idea that there aren't loads of amazing games out at the moment and we aren't spoiled for choice is hilarious.

I also suspect you'll find more moments of wonder in one hour of Outer Wilds than you'll find in this in fifty.

I certainly don't feel overburdened with amazing games. It's been a mostly shit year full of major disappointments and bland, predictable, generic, tedious games. Not played Outer Wilds yet, but apart from Shinsekai on Apple Arcade it's been a dismal, boring year on PS4 at least. I'm totally with Broker on this. Just give me something different. 

• Upvote 2

It's definitely been a step down from previous years (in part because so much has been delayed to next year) but there have been a good few standouts that would be a great game any year. 

Outer Wilds left me a bit cold but I appreciated what it was trying to do. Outer Worlds is glorious and I would recommend that to anyone with a bit of gaming fatigue, which I have had much of the year. 

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Did anyone else read this and get to And the game being empty sounds good to me, letting me focus on my task of traversing...and think; ohhh he's being sarcastic, but then read the rest and reconsider?

No sarcasm at all. I like the idea of a big, natural environment that I can cross, aiming for a specific point. Love just wandering about and climbing in a Breath of the Wild. I don’t want to know that there’s tonnes of “content” out there that I have to find though, because I won’t bother. That’s why I didn’t enjoy Mario Odyssey. I also don’t want every dead end to be filled with “hilarious” stuff or bullshit ghosts or some crap like in GTA. Just a big place, lots of possible routes, traversal mechanics. Sounds exciting.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Although I am amused by his mentioning of Red Dead. I also didn't like that game much - If you didn't like Red Dead 2 it sounds like this is the worst aspects of that game writ large. Right down to the lumbering animation - prioritising controls. Except without the interesting locations to explore. 

There’s literally nothing interesting about the world of Red Dead, it’s pretty but pointless, only good for being a nice background to yet another boring horse ride with terribly written dialogue pushing forward the plot another fraction of a millimetre at it’s pointless, glacial pace.

1 hour ago, Escaped said:

So many of us are hungry for big-budget invention that you can see why it comes naturally to will ourselves to enjoy it, to the point that for the past couple of years many have said they'll definitely buy it — even build PCs for it — with scant knowledge of how it plays.

I’ve been excited from the beginning because Kojima has made stuff I’ve enjoyed a lot, but I’m not the type to will myself to enjoy anything. If it’s boring for me, I turn it off. But it doesn’t have to be fun to not be boring. Games are tragically poor at eliciting other emotions, but it happens occasionally. I’m not going to write it off because the type of morons who write glowing reviews of David Cage’s new turd weren’t having their endorphin button pushed frequently enough.

44 minutes ago, Benny said:

I’ve already played Fallout New Vegas, so there’s no wonder for me because I only experience that from new things, not the same old things with a boring new coat of paint. 

Seriously though, I think there’s a fundamental division between people who want new experiences, and people who want refinements of the same experience. Some people want a product that’s been iterated on until it’s functionally perfect at its task, and other people want a rougher product that does new things. I think that’s the source of the division between people like you, who seem very satisfied with games at the moment, and people like me who think this is the most boring era of games ever. I also think it makes sense that the industry, which basically makes complex machines rather than art, is much better at providing a single idea iterated on to perfection than doing new things regularly, especially with the crazy costs of game development.

• Upvote 7
1 hour ago, Dave White said:

kin el im having flashbacks to working on the docks, and driving that fucking fork lift.

Fortunately that was only part of the game though.

Spoiler

And I loved it actually. It was oddly satisfying when you finally earned enough money for your ticket.

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’ve already played Fallout New Vegas, so there’s no wonder for me because I only experience that from new things, not the same old things with a boring new coat of paint. 

Seriously though, I think there’s a fundamental division between people who want new experiences, and people who want refinements of the same experience. 

They said Outer Wilds, not Outer Worlds. Totally different thing which is absolutely nothing like Fallout. 

Two very good space-set games with extremely similar names that are both on gamepass. 

11 hours ago, Jolly said:

I love Kojimary weirdness and have booked next Friday off in anticipation (the first I've done this for a game in a couple of years) but sweet fuck, these reviews are making me reconsider. 

Sounds like he may have - finally - completely vanished up his own arse. Who could have possibly foreseen this?!

You realise you've selected yourself for the end of year review, right?

8 minutes ago, Stanley said:

We’re just ignoring indie games altogether at this point then, like they don’t exist. 

That’s completely fair. I can’t be bothered to edit in Triple A every time I wrote games, but that’s what I meant. 

3 minutes ago, deerokus said:

They said Outer Wilds, not Outer Worlds. Totally different thing which is absolutely nothing like Fallout. 

Two very good space-set games with extremely similar names that are both on gamepass. 

Awesome, I’ll check that out then. I’m still pretty set on betting more money on triple A games that look weird than triple A games that are the thousandth game to do the exact same thing.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I said Outer Wilds. Not The Outer Worlds.

Edit: beaten to it.

And yes, there are loads of new fun experiences out there. Just because you haven't found them yet doesn't mean they don't exist. Games like Noita, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Goose Game, Slay the Spire, Children of Morta, Cadence of Hyrule, Sayonara Wild Hearts... Need we go on?

• Upvote 2
5 minutes ago, Benny said:

And yes, there are loads of new fun experiences out there. Just because you haven't found them yet doesn't mean they don't exist. Games like Noita, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Goose Game, Slay the Spire, Children of Morta, Cadence of Hyrule, Sayonara Wild Hearts... Need we go on?

Yes, Return of the Obra Dinn for console gamers.