rllmuk
Capwn

Death Stranding - Kojima at it again

Wow. Deliveroo Stranding, now with crying infants. It's like he's urging us not to buy the game... which makes me want it even more. Sounds like a hot mess, mind!

• Upvote 1

"relentless trekking, jarring menu management and some – frankly wild – tonal shifts." 

" At times, the act of playing Death Stranding is a test of faith in itself,"

"but the gruelling 15-20-hour mid-section is a seemingly endless toil of literal hills and valleys"

Of course that's a 4/5 in the guardian then... 

• Upvote 4

This game sounds like what happens when you let Kojima off his leash and I am here for every shitty second of it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thia sounds to me scarily like Guns of the Patriots, which was the last time Kojima was allowed to go peak Kojima, and the actual game:cutscenes:weird shit ratio was similarly imbalanced.

I wish he'd just make his French art house movie and get it over and done with.

Yeah, this is what worries me too. Metal Gear 5 was one of my favourite games of all time, but I really didn't like MGS4. Its seems to be equal parts of those two titles.

It sounds like one of those rare 7/10 type games that I just really really want to play - but I'm not going to spunk 50 quid on it.

• Empathy 1

The Skillup/Laymen review makes some really interesting points about how the environmental traversal is massively rewarding, as every step feels like an achievement and really makes you feel like you're in this lonely battle against nature. They contrast that with Horizon, Skyrim, etc and how traversal in most open world games is just pushing forward and bunny hopping up hills. In Death Stranding it's all about planning your route and figuring out what equipment to carry to make your journey easier rather than just powering to the next marker on the map. That sounds ace to me and makes me want to play it, I really like lonely, bleak games with a strong sense of purpose.

They also say that the community stuff is addictive and rewarding and describe the stealth and combat as "masterful".

• Upvote 4

It sounds absolute shite. Even the high reviews say its shite as a game, but brillaint as a pretentious wank fest.

But i still want to play it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

But i still want to play it for the story/cutscenes

I'm looking forward to my tea tonight, so I can see the pattern on the plate.

Wouldn't normally notice but this is a very well written review.

I’ve already pre ordered it on the PSN store but I’m considering cancelling it till it goes on sale.

I do want to play it but the slow pace could get so frustrating. I can kinda already feel the frustration just watching that video. That feeling that once the shine has worn off and your just starting out to your next destination and suddenly realise what a pain in the arse it is.

I’ve tried not to spoil it by reading/watching too much, and was firmly on the fence.

I seem to be a weird outlier in that the reviews have pretty much sold it to me. Just preordered it and can’t wait to hunker down and experience it.

5 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

This game is going to be so shit that I can't wait for it to win RLLMUK's 2019 GOTY .

Already wrapped up by the PC version of RDR2 I'm afraid.

• Upvote 2

Feels like there is almost a kind of bubbling anger at Kojima for daring to make it. Let him do his thing, I say. It's not like the game came out of the NHS budget. Maybe the reviewers are all huffing the hype-pipe, but it's 84 metacritc after a LOT of reviews, it must have something going for it.

It is intriguing enough that I'll give it a go down the line, I don't think I would have if it had been just another MGS-alike. The gameplay is such I can't even imagine it after it has been described, so kudos for that.

• Upvote 5

As I am seemingly the only person on the planet who loves MGS 4 then this sounds right up my street.

Day one for me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

"relentless trekking, jarring menu management and some – frankly wild – tonal shifts." 

" At times, the act of playing Death Stranding is a test of faith in itself,"

"but the gruelling 15-20-hour mid-section is a seemingly endless toil of literal hills and valleys"

Of course that's a 4/5 in the guardian then... 

Taking 3 points out of a very well written review, that describes exactly why the reviewer scored it as he did , to try and feed in to a false narrative the people are scoring this higher than want to , is , somewhat disingenuous . 

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine ever giving a positive review to a game where a full 20 hours of it (about half) was a 'gruelling endless toil' but maybe actually playing it somehow transcends the fact that many people will be spending a week's worth of gaming time slogging through a tedious mid-section. 

• Upvote 3