shirubagan

Steep (Ubisoft openworld, snow, ski & wingsuit)

Christ, this is disappointing.

Everything except the snowboarding is dull as dishwater. The "friendly tutorial" you start with doesn't get to tricks until it's almost half an hour in and there's a constant struggle with 1. the menus and 2. the environment. Things that look like slopes aren't slopes and just crash you (or make your health drop low with a grayscale filter?). It tries to do the one mountain thing from SSX3 but fails at it, because it constantly wants you to go into the menus. I also wondered why there weren't just a lot of designed tracks. We get a 'open world' instead. Why? Well, apparently any route you make can be uploaded as a 'challenge', meaning the designers don't need to focus on designing tight tracks and it'll take you ages to find something that's half decent on the same downhill slope as all the others. Considering checkpoints are insanely huge, I do wonder how tight one must stick to the uploaded route to make this work at all.

Still, getting yourself locked unto a balcony is "fun".

The controls suffer a bit: you cannot pre-wind, and need to let the stick default when jumping otherwise your turns and rolls won't register. As you also need to push forward on the same stick to generate speed, this gets frustrating in about 0.023 seconds after realising what you need to do. And unless you must unlock some innate abilities like you're a disgraced assassin, you only have a handful of tricks.

OK, I'm a self-confessed SSX3 fanboy here, so this might simply not be my kettle of fish. But blimey, I can still remember Stoked and that was insanely good once you adapted to the controls. This is just boring and then proceeds to constantly praise every fart you make in an effort to make you feel special. ("OMG! LOOK RED BULL! YOU KNOW RED BULL, RIGHT? OH YOU'RE SO COOL NOW!")

FFS EA, where's that SSX3 Remaster?

• Upvote 5

Yeah i played it for 30 minutes or so.. it's fun, i love snowboarding down the hill to the pretty decent tunes. However everything else just seems a bit lame.. kinda like it's missing something. It's a nice little time waster though.. till i get bored i expect.

It reminds me of Skate 2 - looks great but it's frustrating as hell to play. 

The mountain seems to be designed by someone who doesn't want you to have any fun. 

The tutorial is bloody worthless. Quick snowboard:

L2: jump / left hand grab (in air)

R2: jump / right hand grab (in air)

L-Stick forward: accelerate

Sticks backward: brake

L-stick in air:  turn / roll

R-stick in air: twist / flip

Furthermore, I agree with Sng: the mountain is anemic, though the second peak is better you miss visual cues, feedback and celebrations. Instead you get a Ubi-checklist and po-faced achievement counters. 

There is no joy, only a lot of obstacles to use for tricks outside of the route that maintains your speed.

• Upvote 1

You can see why nobody releases demos any more - this went from something I was interested in buying to deleted in the space of 15m

Horrible tutorial, horrible game world navigation and the flying and snowboarding were just no fun.

If you want silly fun with a wingsuit by Just Cause 3

• Upvote 3

It's a bit of a mess, isn't it? I don't really get the controls. Left stick does movement, right stick does camera whilst walking but then when on a board or wingsuit the sticks both do the same or slightly different? 

What about the controller/tutorial hints on the right of the screen that DON'T GO AWAY, too? 

Very pretty, though. Annoying commentator.

It takes a little while to get going and it's not the most intuitive control scheme at first but it gets good pretty quickly once you open up some challenges and level up. The scale and diversity is immense in my opinion, I was flying and snowboarding around all over the place, it's quite thrilling once you get comfortable with the controls and a lot of fun to mess about. I also tried it in PSVR cinematic mode, which I'm particularly fond of, and it was awesome despite the expected softness. Particular mention to first person view when snowboarding (L1) in large screen mode... 

I have to disagree about the flying not being fun. The parachuting is a little less exciting of course but over all the sense of speed and danger when you get close to the floor or go through an archway is brilliant. I also think the control schemes suit the disciplines once you know what's what, when in your wingsuit the right stick acts as a dodge. 

To me it feels technically polished at this stage and it's lots of fun so it's definitely one I'll pick up. Negatives at this stage are

1) They have no idea how to impart the control scheme knowledge nor how to progress you through the initial learning curve.

2) I've not seen evidence of a big variation of tricks yet although the way the game doesn't give you an info on what it's doing so it's most likely holding that information back until it decides I need to know.

3) Open world games are fun for a while but the full game will need to keep chucking challenges, time trials and dedicated trick courses at me to keep me playing. There are a fair few in the beta already and I've only levelled up once so this bodes well.

Overall I'm really impressed despite almost deleting it after 5 minutes and having zero expectation initially.

• Upvote 2

Both sticks and triggers can be used for tricks on snowboard, which opens it up immensely. If you follow the in-game tutorial, you'd think there are only 4 tricks or so. Unfortunately, the game does more effort to congratulate and support me for falling down for 30 seconds*, rather than nailing a jump with two rolls and a few grabs. This is also apparent in the non-existent track design. The few snow parks have actual indicators making the ramps usable. Everything outside of it could be a ramp. It could also be an instant KO, grayscale you with low health for half a minute, or simply stop you dead in your tracks.

If the rest of the mountain had be dotted with indicators, feedback, anything, this would've had a very different feel. Instead, you get an SSX3 Peak 1 environment, with off-piste Peak 3 design. Well, apart from the fact that there is no dedicated flow from top to bottom, you just continue in a snow gutter. The ice shard track on the west mountain (post level 5/6) is MILES better than anything the intial area has to offer, but even then it becomes clear this game isn't as polished as it should be.

I feel Steep is currently a proof of concept. Now it needs about a year in the oven to actually combine all the different mechanics into fun dynamics. Sadly, this'll be launched on December 2. Meaning this beta is nothing more than a server stress test. *sigh*

*: 

• Upvote 4

It's an odd one this.  I'm enjoying it, I'm off work recovering from the flu so it's relaxed pace and simpleness is appealing just now, but at the same time I wouldn't be bothered if I never played it again. 

It's an odd one this.  I'm enjoying it, I'm off work recovering from the flu so it's relaxed pace and simpleness is appealing just now, but at the same time I wouldn't be bothered if I never played it again. 

That's exactly how I feel. I'm disappointed with the trick implementation and I can't see why they don't just put the jump button on x.
I wish there were some way for them to implement a trick scoring system that didn't just award points based on how many ridiculous spins/flips you can do. There's something very satisfying about hitting a clean jump, holding and tweaking your grab whilst flying over an obstacle.

I'll pick it up on a bargain sale but not for full price judging from this.

... Also paragliding is so boring.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk