rllmuk
Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

Or maybe not make it boring? :P Having some info on his life, personal matters, some nice gameplay moments, a bit of emotional storytelling, you know, connecting the hero and the kid, is what these games need imo.  

I just think you can do that in cutscenes and not have a Spider Man game in which you're not constantly playing as Spider Man. What gameplay would you introduce to make it even vaguely interesting? 

Probably less pacy sections involving investigation. Gathering evidence, taking photographs maybe solving puzzles. It could easily be the equivalent of the dreaded instafail stealth section but if employed properly might be a nice change of pace to investigate a lab as Parker, talk to some NPCs to maybe open up the next section of story.

• Upvote 1

Just make the Peter bits pure world-building ala Mass Effect, or to a lesser extent the Telltale games. No-one seems to complain about the walking-about-talking-to-folk bits of those games.

Imagine Peter having a dilemma of being late for a big date with MJ but also needing to rush to work to handle a delicate experiment in the hands of someone destined to cock it up, and meanwhile the Vulture has been seen skulking around near the roof of a bank - the one you choose causes a damaging lack of progress in the other two threads in Peter's life - Maybe different stats get affected based on which one you choose?

FUCK, THIS GAME WILL BE THE SHIT

31 minutes ago, Harsin said:

What about the most burning question? Will this have traditional mummified old lady Aunt May or sexy pants MCU style Aunt May?

Would you nail mummified Aunt May to get to sleep with the sexy pants Aunt May?

Peter bits could be quite good, as long as they're not just bits where you're in a suit and the game won't let you use any powers, so you're just walking through a map having conversations. I could imagine quite liking a set of levels where you're still able to do your moves, but can't do them where people will see. So it's sort of sneaky, perhaps.

• Upvote 2

I'd like it if you could use your powers as Peter, but if anyone saw you half-way up a wall or something, it'd be a mission over. It'd provide you with a risky way to complete your goal with a much better result than if you just did it in a non-superpower way.

Maybe if you're walking about the open-world as Spidey if someone sees you do something super-powery it'll trigger a wee cutscene showing you webbing out of the way and donning the suit.

BTW I really like how they've implemented the Spidey-sense to show when an enemy is about to attack.

1 hour ago, RobNoyce said:

Probably less pacy sections involving investigation. Gathering evidence, taking photographs maybe solving puzzles. It could easily be the equivalent of the dreaded instafail stealth section but if employed properly might be a nice change of pace to investigate a lab as Parker, talk to some NPCs to maybe open up the next section of story.

Exactly. Also, you can have activities, like GTA. You can also have small gameplay sections to earn some cash for rent, like delivering pizzas a la spider man or finding some great shots for the magazine covers. You can also have events that feed straight into the main story, like attending a grand event as a journalist and then you use your spider powers to find out info or routes you can obtain as spidey afterwards, you can have some social links you can spend some time and explore NPC characters and the city, I mean you can have really great gameplay to make the experience much more compelling. Half the fun of spider man is being peter parker for me.

Poking @BitterToad

It has potential but you have to wonder why Rocksteady didn't put any Bruce Wayne bits in the Arkham games, apart from at the very start of City I think. 

I do love the idea of setting up cameras to pap yourself in action though. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

It has potential but you have to wonder why Rocksteady didn't put any Bruce Wayne bits in the Arkham games, apart from at the very start of City I think. 

I do love the idea of setting up cameras to pap yourself in action though. 

For me it's because they found something that worked and went for it. They tried changing some things in the sequels and, in the end, the last one was not exactly a great game. In order for this kind of games to offer something new and compelling they need to GTA themselves up a bit, make the city more important, story and character development. All the great super hero movies imo are great because they manage to show how human these.. super human characters are, if you get my meaning. 

The problem Rocksteady had with having Bruce Wayne being playable was he couldn't do much apart from the brilliant combat tutorial. The gameplay and the character himself are so reliant on the gadgets, suit, etc that options for gameplay without those are pretty limited.

Insomnaic could do something really clever with Peter Parker, where you have to use your powers on the fly while maintaining the Parker persona. That could take the form of stealth sections, or simply having you play through section without the suit but still have access to some of your abilities. Some of the best moments in Superhero movies come from the heroes using their powers without being seen or to make it look like someone else saved the day. Christopher Reeves Superman was fantastic at this and I always think back to that amazing scene in Superman 2 where Lois throw herself in the river but she ends up saving Clark, thereby concealing his identity. He uses heat vision at one point and generally does a fantastic job of looking like a normal guy in a panic, all to protect the Clark Kent persona. Why not have Peter Parker play out gameplay moments similar to this as you either protect your identity or use your powers without going full Spidey suit. If done right it could use the mechanic to build toward a brilliant in-game identity reveal for Spider-Man as toward the end of the game you have no choice but to show someone close to you who you really are. Think Batman Begins and Bruce revealing his identity to Rachel before diving off the rooftop, which for me is one of the greatest moment in that trilogy.

Done right it is exactly the kind of moment Insomniac could build toward using a playable Peter Parker. I for one would love to see that as even with the emergence of all the Marvel characters in recent years Spider-Man has remained my all time favourite from childhood. Please let this game fulfill its potential!

• Upvote 5

Another advantage this has over the Arkham games is that there are actually civilians in its city. Not much place for Bruce in a free-range prison, but it makes a lot of sense to have parts where you play Peter as a regular New Yorker.

• Upvote 1

Can't wait for this, I've been going through the Toby trilogy of films with my 7 year old & we will watch the two Garfield films during the week then we are going to the cinema on Friday to enjoy the new film.

She is a huge spider-man fan & we've watched the E3 gameplay many times.

"Daddy that boss fight could be hard, can you help me?"

:wub:

• Upvote 2

Makes me wonder what Sucker Punch are up to seeing as they weren't chosen to make this. Not disagreeing with Insomniacs pedigree at all, but after Infamous I'd have thought SP would be the more obvious choice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

"Daddy that boss fight could be hard, can you help me?"

:wub:

That's what I asked my dad when I played through the first Dark Souls but all he gave me was a look of disappointment. :(

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Makes me wonder what Sucker Punch are up to seeing as they weren't chosen to make this. Not disagreeing with Insomniacs pedigree at all, but after Infamous I'd have thought SP would be the more obvious choice. 

That is a good point. Open world traversal is their bread and butter. My guess would be that they were already hip deep in their new project, and maybe after three successive inFamous games, they wanted a chance to do something else. After Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac were an obvious choice.

Genuinely excited for this game. I've always enjoyed that feel of swinging around the city. The developer who did that original swing mechanic released Energy Hook a few months back, the single worst game I've bought in the last 15 years:

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2017 at 19:12, Broker said:

I'm concerned about how much control we'll actually have, the combat looked very scripted, I'd love to see a normal person playing it without knowing where the triggers for the animations are, see how it holds up. I got bored about half way through the conference footage and turned it off, a lot of cutscenes and QTE stuff which looked boring, like that new Tomb Raider game.

I'm very concerned about the Uncharteditis that's very prevalent in the footage. 

As a side note I find it funny how the long-running trend of people talking about how 'amazing' games look, then proceeding to only talk about the graphics, is continuing to grow stronger and stronger. I get this bullshit from the casuals, but from seasoned gamers its really alarming and somewhat depressing.

It's like, yeah guys, games look incredible now. They have for a good while. It doesn't mean that they're any fun to play, that their gameplay is new or interesting in any way. 

Some of the reactions to Anthem for instance, the most dull standard-looking third person shooter ever, were totally hilarious. But the graphics eh, the graphics. LOL.

In the end, a game never sticks in your head because it had amazing visuals. It never becomes a classic because it had really good lighting and shaders or whatever. You never say 'wow do you remember that classic bit of the game where it had good graphics'.

And the focus on graphics distracts us and game-makers from making compelling gameplay. Can you imagine how much fucking time it makes to make something as stunning as Anthem? How much focus of devs goes to giving you an incredible sense of place rather than an incredible set of mechanics? 

And gamers reward this focus by putting so much onus on visuals. Arrgh.

It would be nice to play a really new interesting type of game, with really deep and satisfying gameplay for once, and for a developer to put that front and centre, rather than much some lush-looking 'showcase' and 'rollercoaster' of a 'cinematic experience' that i've played 100 times before.

It's a crutch for also-ran games and developers. It can be used to cover up a dearth of interesting gameplay - ''as you can see it's just a beautiful world we've made here'. It's not hard to make a great-looking game nowadays. It's harder to make something that isn't shallow, derivative and repetitive. 

And also it's not so much the case that I think every game can, needs to or must re-invent the wheel - i'm quite realistic that this is an absurd demand - but I do think that great graphics in games can be an effective smokescreen to games that fundamentally aren't very good, let alone revolutionary or fresh.

• Upvote 6

I dunno, I'm a big fan of graphics. Games are a visual medium - I don't think there's anything wrong with being excited about the way a game looks, or even enjoying a game primarily because of the aesthetic or the environments. One thing I've noticed about getting older is that I've come to recognise that one of the main ways I get enjoyment from a game is through exploring or just taking in the environment - stuff like Everybody's Gone to the Rapture or Soma where the setting and the experience is the focus of the game, or stuff like Mirror's Edge or Assassins Creed, where the gameplay is at best inoffensive and at worst actively hateful. Something like Mirror's Edge is effectively a big interactive book of futuristic architecture, which is fine by me - I can look past the frustrations if I'm getting something else out of it. 

Being a graphics whore was a term of abuse once, but now I'm happy to embrace it.

• Upvote 2

I'm a fan of good graphics too, but good in the artistic sense as well as just technically impressive. And game play rules all. I agree with everything Smitty says there.

• Upvote 1

Everyone likes good graphics, though. That's not the point. 

I used to be called a graphics whore, and of course I said that games were a visual medium so graphics were important, just like K above. I still believe that. 

And yet K is still coming at it from the wrong direction. There's so little advancement and innovation that's going on, but some people think games are getting better because the skyboxes are really good now. You still have to hear loads of praise piled onto same-old or just plain bad games because they look good.

Yes, of course 'games' are a broad church and you can have all kinds of experiences in that, but the focus on graphics heavily outweighs everything else even in gameplay-focused games.

You can write odes to walking simulators, or the Frostbite engine, all you like but they're not going to push the fundamentals of the medium forward. And the fundamental of games is the gameplay. Yes, almost anything can be gameplay - even interminably pushing forward to walk around a beautiful environment as some insist - but it's doing down the potential of gameplay, it's doing down the unique attributes of gaming to just say ah yes any simplistic interaction can be called gameplay, even just walking around for hours and looking at shit whilst someone speaks purple prose. 

I'm trying to think of an analogy in film for what is going on in games. Perhaps it would be a film where you constantly have to choose what is going to happen next. That would be fundamentally fucking with the medium and undermining what is key and unique to it. It could certainly be called a film, but a good film? Sounds like a fundamentally unsatisfactory film to me. A bastardization of the medium.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about that so much Smitty. BoTW innovates and looks gorgeous (the most gorgeous open world yet imo) and that's on hardware some people consider underpowered. Funny how something like 80% of its games run at 60fps too. The weakest hardware with the best performance. 

Edit. I also do think that games like Rapture, and particularly SOMA, push the medium forward, and that's largely down to story telling abd aesthetics rather than game mechanics too. 

There's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

This is Game Informer's next cover game.

Issue isn't out until tomorrow – within which the game's release date will be revealed, amongst other things – but this promo video shows some great looking traversal:

• Upvote 4