Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

I seem to have turned off the minimap and I’ve no idea how, how do I undo this travesty?

Edit - some kind of mission glitch, it’s back now!

Just rinsing the second part of the DLC this afternoon. There are probably too many crimes - they repeat too often and you don’t need the tokens. 

And finished the last of the DLC - excelsior!

Spoiler

Mecha-Hammerhead was a great bad guy and final boss. Can the police just store his head in a jar on the RAFT? ^_^

I do just need to mop up the last of the challenges and crimes but after that a break before the new game would be welcome - I crammed a lot of Spider-Man into the last week and a half. 

On 14/07/2020 at 07:31, Boothjan said:

Yeah it's an easy Platinum. My first and to date only one I've achieved!

On that - I do think if I hadn’t used the reveal option on the hidden achievements I probably wouldn’t have found them through the course of playing. I didn’t even know you could reveal them just by pressing square, found that out when Googling what they were. 

I took a picture of that achievement, because it seemed like it would be hard to find again, and what flashed up in the screen? ‘Secret photo opportunity 1/50!’

Oh hell no, Insomniac. :lol:

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

There's a suit mod you can get/make that shows up the secret ones when you're close to them, on the mini-map.

Great. Definitely not going to equip that and start scouring all of Manhattan looking for them. Nope, definitely not. 

Also, I just realised I didn’t get spectacular on all the Screwball challenges - probably missing one in each episode - and didn’t get their achievements. So I won’t be going back for those either, no sir. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any hints for the bomb challenges?

I'm proper fucking shit at them and would like some extra challenge tokens. 

I've not been able to clear one above basic and it's beginning to spoil the game for me now. 

#shitoldgamer

Edit

Nvm:  next attempt got a silver on one, I think swinging around was the problem. 

6 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Does anyone have any hints for the bomb challenges?

I'm proper fucking shit at them and would like some extra challenge tokens. 

I've not been able to clear one above basic and it's beginning to spoil the game for me now. 

#shitoldgamer

Quick Zip skill is essential for those. It's the one that lets you do the web zip move (pressing X in the air to launch yourself forward horizontally) twice in quick succession. You can hurl yourself across the rooftops of New York really quickly with judicious use of that move. Also the Point Launch Boost skill that gives you a big boost after doing the L2+R2 move and then pressing X. Good way to start off as it gets you moving a big distance straight away.

It was the drone ones that I struggled with. Getting gold on some of those required you to basically not fuck up once. Thankfully the platinum doesn't require you to get gold on all the challenges.

Returned the DLC I bought ages ago and it's still a blast and more challenging than I remembered on Hard. I'm either rusty or the DLC is pretty tough. Those Hammerhead hide-outs don't fuck around and getting Ultimate on the Screwball challenges is no easy task. Combat and traversal are so much fun though. On the other hand, I wouldn't miss the stealth if it was cut for Miles Morales.

I started playing this a few days ago. I’m almost shocked at how high quality it is.

I’ve forever been under the impression it was like a £30 on launch Ratchet and Clank thing but I’m very impressed overall.

It is pretty difficult At times. Took 6 tries to clear out a Fisk hideout.

It’s a great example of a AAA title though with excellent production values.

I’ll probably get the new one on PS5.

Finished the story last night - was good fun. 

However I think these Fisk challenges are going to be the end of me. 

I've got a handful of suits to unlock and I've given up even thinking I might also be able to upgrade all the gadgets. 

I don't know what's going to be more achievable, trying to silver rank some of the stealth, drone and bomb ones or gold rank the combat ones. 

@Gloomy Andy Just something to bare in mind. I may be slightly off here, but from memory to unlock everything (suits and gadgets) you need Gold in all but two challenges (in which you need silver). Not sure what is required if you don't do the gadgets so it may be a lot less, but I thought I'd flag it as it might be worth totally up the required challenge points you'll need to decide if you'll have more fun grinding the challenge ranks vs a more casual NG+ run to get the bits you need.

I hadn't realised the unlocks carried into NG+

You're right I need to total it up, from memory I think I'm about 12~15 short. 

I think I'm doing something fundamentally wrong with a couple of them, the stealth ones for example, I'm not sure how I can increase my combo count, a few more goes might help. 

The stealth ones are a lot easier than they initially appear if you use gadgets like the Impact Web and Trip Mine. Combine those with the basic triangle move that takes out enemies in one hit and then it essentially comes down to working out which route is optimal.

Thank you rllmuk

I practiced the stealth challenges and yep, once you get the route down they're pretty easy, also if you ignore the perch takedowns and just use the zip takedowns as suggested above. 

Just getting gold on stealth gave me enough for the suits I needed, although ironically I then hit an unexpected bottleneck with the base tokens so have spent a little while being pleased with how much I've improved at the combat over the course of the 20months it's taken me to complete. 

Now I think I'm going to pick up the DLC and then think about what to play next. 

20200728_224407-01.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stanley said:

Just clearing a few things before I complete the game hopefully with the platinum in tow, how did you guys do the 

Reveal hidden contents

Trip mine

Trophy? Struggling with that. 

Just spam them on groups of two or more enemies? Hideouts are best as you can pop off a couple in the initial stealth stage when there are little clusters of enemies stood together talking but there’s no great secret really. I just threw them out when I had them and the trophy popped after a while.

• 4 weeks later...

So I just finished the main story in this and I had a blast. The web-slinging is super effective and I loved taking on waves of assailants, to the point where I sometimes finished them off and just missed out on a challenge and was more than happy to start again. The way you can pounce around combining skills and gadgets is terrific.

It was never too difficult either, generally beating most story hurdles first or second time.

But I have to agree with some earlier posts that the side missions and collectathons were poorly integrated and felt very lazy. I didn't mind so much the bags and the sightseeing but the Taskmaster stuff was often a chore.

I'm at 84 percent and tempted to try for platinum. Do I have to get gold in all the challenges? Really don't think I could stomach that.

15 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I'm at 84 percent and tempted to try for platinum. Do I have to get gold in all the challenges? Really don't think I could stomach that.

You only need to get 2 (out of 3) stars on the challenges, I think, and they're not very taxing to do that. You need to spend your upgrade points smartly if doing that - there's a Trophy for all the suits but not one for all the Gadgets, so you want to prioritise that.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

You only need to get 2 (out of 3) stars on the challenges, I think, and they're not very taxing to do that. You need to spend your upgrade points smartly if doing that - there's a Trophy for all the suits but not one for all the Gadgets, so you want to prioritise that.

Thanks, that's a big help.

47 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

So I just finished the main story in this and I had a blast. The web-slinging is super effective and I loved taking on waves of assailants, to the point where I sometimes finished them off and just missed out on a challenge and was more than happy to start again. The way you can pounce around combining skills and gadgets is terrific.

It was never too difficult either, generally beating most story hurdles first or second time.

But I have to agree with some earlier posts that the side missions and collectathons were poorly integrated and felt very lazy. I didn't mind so much the bags and the sightseeing but the Taskmaster stuff was often a chore.

IIRC you can spend DLC stars/points on stuff so can end up with a surplus and you have options if you hate sine of the base challenges 

After finishing the main game on about 84% I thought I'd have a break, but something just drew me back. I think it's mainly to do with the traversal which is wonderfully liberating.

So I half-heartedly started mopping stuff up and just couldn't stop. Because I invested challenge tokens in gadgets early on it meant I needed to gold a few of them to unlock all suits.

Got my platinum this morning. :hat:

Those gold combat challenges were a pain at first but they really do teach you the nuances of the combat system. You have to take enemies out fast and use the gadgets expertly. It's such good fun maximising the trip wires to take out two baddies at a time.

Such a great game but I do need a rest from it now.

Is the DLC same, better or worse? Will defo come back to this universe in a few months.

I kinda disagree, I felt the increase in difficulty was too much, and cheap (those pricks with the fucking gattling guns can fuck right off). Plus the story with Flattop from Dick Tracy was absolute shit. The Silver Sable DLC was better, but just makes her character all over the place in the context of the entire package. Silver Sable is awfully written in both the DLC and the main game.