rllmuk
Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

19 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

I finished this earlier & I will echo the wafer-thin comment above as I found the whole thing to be decidedly average.

Man, if you don't like it I'll give you £30 for it!

19 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

I do sound like I'm being overly harsh there, as I did get some enjoyment out of it, but I think more about the bits they did well & the whole thing seemed like untapped potential to me. Also really wish I had bought it on disc!!

<_<

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Strafe said:

All the suits I’ve unlocked so far look pretty awful tbh. I’m sticking with the OG one.

I'm mainly flicking between the comics one and the Homecoming/Stark suit. I tried out the suit you get from one of the side collectibles 

Spoiler

Black Cat.

It didn't stay on. Sometimes I use Insomniac's version, with the white bits. But it's a bit try-hard to my eyes.

I've tried most of the suits (at level 35)

Some of them are far too garish but I've liked 

The Advanced Suit

Spidey 2099

Black Cat

The Anti Electro Suit

Some of the suits are bloody stupid. But like @PeteBrant, I've found the game's own suit to have really grown on me, I think it's great. It also triggers an amusing line of dialogue at a certain point in the game:

Spoiler

"What's with the white spider, you get your suit at the dollar store or something?" :lol:

It was this idiot: (mild mid-game spoiler)

Spoiler

image.png.cff75bd797bd02bf94abdfcd86b3cb04.png

• Upvote 1

Only been able to get a few hours in this so far but really enjoying it. Got all the towers now so should really do some missions but the traversal is just so much fun. Very slowly getting to grips with the combat but not fully clicked at all yet but sure it'll come.

And as many have said, the depiction of NYC is just wonderful. I can literally swing by it or crawl up where I work! :D Or go past my fav places and all makes sense. Lovely stuff.

• Upvote 1

It’s a shame how many upgrades and decent suits are tied to Challenge Tokens. The combat/stealth ones are quite enjoyable, but the others feel like holdovers from one of Activision's ropey Spider-Man games.

• Upvote 1

If the mechanics weren't so solid the collectables and combat focus of the side stuff would be a big pity, but they end up being really enjoyable because it feels so good to play.

• Upvote 5

I liked doing the landmarks a lot more once I realised you could swing around perfectly fine with the camera on, and it would go into slow-mo when you took a shot. Setting up opportunities to do two landmarks in one swing becomes a fun minigame.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

It’s a shame how many upgrades and decent suits are tied to Challenge Tokens. The combat/stealth ones are quite enjoyable, but the others feel like holdovers from one of Activision's ropey Spider-Man games.

Aye, came perilously close to toddler smashing my pad trying to do the drone challenges.

If anyone else has difficulty, little tip that I didn't notice till I'd struggled through 2 of them:

Spoiler

The blue orbs you have to hit are quite often placed on locations where you can use the L2+R2 point landing/super take off.

Helps immensely instead of trying to swing through all of them!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I liked doing the landmarks a lot more once I realised you could swing around perfectly fine with the camera on, and it would go into slow-mo when you took a shot. Setting up opportunities to do two landmarks in one swing becomes a fun minigame.

Yeah I was hoping for a trophy for doing that the first time!

Speaking of photos. There are hidden photo spots. I took a photo of some random graffiti and it triggered it. I think it said there are 50. 

Also, just turned on this morning (can tell in hooked) and there's an update. 

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Aye, came perilously close to toddler smashing my pad trying to do the drone challenges.

If anyone else has difficulty, little tip that I didn't notice till I'd struggled through 2 of them:

Hide contents

The blue orbs you have to hit are quite often placed on locations where you can use the L2+R2 point landing/super take off.

Helps immensely instead of trying to swing through all of them!

The military drones mission from a research lab? I have one I can’t do. It’s over the water away from buildings and I just can’t figure it out. There is a tall chimney near I’ve tried jumping from to go through it to no avail. I’ll be doing my own toddler smash soon!

It's Manhattan, more or less rendered faithfully (although there's obviously comic things that don't exist in reality: Avengers Tower, Dr Strange's house, Wakandan embassy and so on) but truncated off at the top in Harlem.

And Roosevelt Island has been replaced with the supervillain prison.

It's not sectioned, so you can freely travel from top to bottom as soon as the tutorial lets you go. There are Ubi-style towers to do in each section that put all the icons on the map, but there's no gating of sections.

• Upvote 1

I've been able to 2 star most of the challenges easily enough but 3 starring some of them seems like a genuine challenge. Only managed to 3 star one of the stealth challenges so far. 

2 hours ago, Sng said:

Yeah I was hoping for a trophy for doing that the first time!

Speaking of photos. There are hidden photo spots. I took a photo of some random graffiti and it triggered it. I think it said there are 50. 

Also, just turned on this morning (can tell in hooked) and there's an update. 

I think I saw there's a suit mod you can purchase at Level 50 which will put all the hidden photo spots on your map.

31 minutes ago, Stejay said:

Ok, how did Peter suddenly figure out that the Demon’s boss is

Hide contents

Martin Li when he was unconscious during the reveal?

I asked this! *Spoilers for key moment of the game* at end of Act 1

Someone said he saw him during the cutscene. I think he's meant to have spotted him during the "Spider Sense" activating scene - but to me they looked like generic controlled and/or henchmen....and doesn't tie in with the "reveal" shot later  that seems to be presented as a 'moment' to the player. 

There's possibly Martin Li at 6.52 here - but it doesn't seem enough for Peter to be sure he was behind it all. 6.57 could be him too I suppose rather than another controlled person...I thought it was another bomber when I saw it.

And then 14.25 is definitely presented as a shock/important moment when you see Li

• Upvote 1

In the E3 build, Li was in the helicopter after the part where you had to save Fisk's men. It would have made more sense if they had left it like that. To be fair, in the final game he doesn't actually know. He just said he had a hunch, although we were never told why.

3 hours ago, Stejay said:

Ok, how did Peter suddenly figure out that the Demon’s boss is

Reveal hidden contents

Martin Li when he was unconscious during the reveal?

3 hours ago, Hexx said:

I asked this! *Spoilers for key moment of the game* at end of Act 1

Reveal hidden contents

Someone said he saw him during the cutscene. I think he's meant to have spotted him during the "Spider Sense" activating scene - but to me they looked like generic controlled and/or henchmen....and doesn't tie in with the "reveal" shot later  that seems to be presented as a 'moment' to the player. 

There's possibly Martin Li at 6.52 here - but it doesn't seem enough for Peter to be sure he was behind it all. 6.57 could be him too I suppose rather than another controlled person...I thought it was another bomber when I saw it.

And then 14.25 is definitely presented as a shock/important moment when you see Li

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

Well that was not made clear at all.

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, I think that bit has missed a scene somewhere in the edit. It's not clear at all how Peter knows.

Y'all shoulda gone to specsavers. ;)

6:54 in that vid...

Spoiler

You see Parker with his spidey sense, then it cuts to first person view with the spidey sense effect still happening - you are seeing through Parker's eyes. At 6.54 he looks directly at Martin Li, and it's clearly Martin Li.

However, I will admit they could have made more of that; it is a bit too close to 'blink and you'll miss it'. 

• Upvote 1