rllmuk
Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

29 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Being able to roam as Peter Parker and having accessible businesses would add a lot.

Walking would get very old, very fast. They'd have to include a complete driving model, and then there'd be the colossal cognitive dissonance of people playing as Peter Parker and mowing down innocent people. 

And why shops? You want to buy a sandwich, get a haircut and new clothes? Maybe some tools for work at Otto's lab? 

That's more or less the extent of what you do in GTA outside of shooting people. I don't think it's needed here. The few brief times I've played as Parker have been enough compared to the amount of time I've played as spidey. :)

• Upvote 8

I love how you can see into the apartments inside some buildings when you climb past windows. I think this is the best looking game ever made, at least that’s attempting an open world this big. The image quality supersampled is incredible.

• Upvote 1

They could totally scrap everything about Peter Parker and I'd be happy. 

The lab puzzles seem misguided and incredibly boring. And I haven't come across a decent side mission yet. 

But I love the traversal. Using multiple point jumps is great. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

How many times do you have to hit someone with web before they'll stick to a wall when you whack them?

I might be wrong but I think they only stick to things with the impact webs, not the normal ones.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I love how you can see into the apartments inside some buildings when you climb past windows. I think this is the best looking game ever made, at least that’s attempting an open world this big. The image quality supersampled is incredible.

They are probably cubemaps, and not rendered interiors. But still looks nice.

4 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I might be wrong but I think they only stick to things with the impact webs, not the normal ones.

Nah, if you web them up enough and then knock them into walls they'll stick to it. It seems very random though so I'm not sure how it works exactly. 

3 minutes ago, The Bag said:

They definitely stick with the normal webs, too, but they need to be a lot closer to the wall for it to work just from shooting them.

I’m so loving this. I’ve just done the mission that unlocks fast travel, but while swinging about is so much fun, I don’t know how much I’ll use it.

However, game design does seem a little lazy in regards to the sheer number of new  

collectathons that keep unlocking. First the towers, then the landmarks, and backpacks, and the Kingpin bases to clear, and now I’m unlocking research labs, each of which seems to have a tedious side mission attached.

I know that they’re completely optional, but I’m working through them anyway, and I wish they could have been a little more interesting.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Walking would get very old, very fast. They'd have to include a complete driving model, and then there'd be the colossal cognitive dissonance of people playing as Peter Parker and mowing down innocent people. 

And why shops? You want to buy a sandwich, get a haircut and new clothes? Maybe some tools for work at Otto's lab? 

That's more or less the extent of what you do in GTA outside of shooting people. I don't think it's needed here. The few brief times I've played as Parker have been enough compared to the amount of time I've played as spidey. :)

Oh, no cars. That would be a huge misstep. If you want to get around quicker, use the subway. Otherwise though, a little bit of icing wouldn’t hurt at adding a bit more colour to the world.

There's a few more that'll open, as well.

It is filler content, for sure. But, backpacks excepted, there's not too many of any of them so far (there seem to be like 10-15 of most of the separate collectibles, which feels about right.)

I'm really enjoying this so far. It is an utterly standard big budget game in terms of structure, activities, bosses etc, but the swinging is really properly nailed, the fighting a good mix of fun and providing challenge (especially once later enemy types start to turn up) and it all looks and feels amazing. I'd totally understand anyone who felt underwhelmed by the cookie-cutter template at times, but it's working for me.

Loving this. Most fun I've had in an open world since Crackdown.

One thing I just noticed is when you're on the phone your voice changes depending on what you're doing. So if you're just stood there you sound calm but if you're swinging about you sound like you're talking whilst swinging about. They must have recorded all his lines twice and the even more impressive thing is it'll switch between the two mid-conversation. Really adds to the immersion.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Sng said:

Loving this. Most fun I've had in an open world since Crackdown.

One thing I just noticed is when you're on the phone your voice changes depending on what you're doing. So if you're just stood there you sound calm but if you're swinging about you sound like you're talking whilst swinging about. They must have recorded all his lines twice and the even more impressive thing is it'll switch between the two mid-conversation. Really adds to the immersion.

They did indeed 

• Upvote 7

22 hours ago, aidey6 said:

It does look truly amazing and the animation whilst web-slinging is just :wub:  I don't know if it is just me, but the gameplay (and side missions) reminds me of Infamous

as I was saying, its a better version of infamous

It's one thing that's always bugged me in other games. Hopefully it becomes more common now. 

13 hours ago, Hexx said:

Question post City Hall section 

Hide contents

How do Peter and MJ know it was Martin Li? We saw in a cutscene but I don’t know how they know...police etc don’t seem to

What we saw in that cut scene was...

Spoiler

... Peter clearly seeing Martin Li.  I suppose they could have made more of it. 

Played this for several hours now.

Spoiler

Amazing, I'm loving it. I was a huge fan of the original Arkham (only game I have a platinum for) and this just feels like a fun more light hearted alternative. I'm not a fan of marvel at all but find myself even being drawn into the silly plot. Can't believe that I nearly didn't buy this, I was put off as it sounded like there were hours and hours of repetitive missions which I don't really get at all. I found myself oddly getting drawn into the research lab missions and find that every one had it's own spin. Even the standard break-in crimes where you just beat people up, I enjoy it as I'm using them to learn how to get better at combat. Can only imagine it gets boring if you stop adding more moves//abilities and fight the same every time. I don't see this as repetitive at all yet and find myself enjoying scouting bags/landmarks etc between missions.

One thing that IS stressing me out a bit is that during big fights I sometimes find myself accidentally bringing up the device wheel.

Still glad I went with easy, still finding I die often. I generally can do big fights/bosses within 5 attempts. Any more and I could see it becoming very frustrating. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone paying attention to Spidey's twitter feed?  They've done pretty well with the humour.

Spoiler

image.png.d7042602555ff9b4e6b89ca3e4e96e23.png

• Upvote 2

This has been a perfect weekend game, so glad I picked it up. I think it's a brilliant implementation of the character but maybe not quite up there with the game mechanics of the Arkham series (Which let's face it, it was always going to be compared to).

The New York open world is an absolute joy to swing around in and extremely well done but as a side effect of the more grounded real location feels blander next to the heavily themed areas of Gotham, where the villains and side quests can really shine and inject more personality. I'm getting used to the combat now and I'm finding it more open and expansive than the Batman games which felt very rhythmical and concentration based, whereas here there's less of Spidey auto zipping about and extra onus on the player to web sling around and control the space. I kind of wish they'd ripped off the way gadgets worked and you could hotkey 4 of them to L1+face button, you can access more with the wheel obviously but I find it breaks up the flow of combat.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with: (post City Hall)

Spoiler

Sword wielding demons?

It was late last night so maybe I missed something but these guys seem to deflect everything I can throw at them and even seem to hit you sometimes when you perfect dodge.

This is fantastic. I've been on a huge collectathon/side-mission binge, and have completed all that while hardly touching the story missions. I've only just started the puddle-gate mission.

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

I think it's a brilliant implementation of the character but maybe not quite up there with the game mechanics of the Arkham series (Which let's face it, it was always going to be compared to).

As a massive fan of the Arkham games (and Batman in general) I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Once you unlock more of the moves, the options available to the player are far more varied than in Arkham. You can really do some spectacular combos if you're calm and know what you're doing. I'll actually go as far as to say this shows the Arkham games up. 

The combat in this is genuinely brilliant, though I'll admit that at first it appears lightweight compared to Arkham.

Just noticed that the reflections in the building windows aren't accurate. They just reflect back a random cityscape. Is that the same with the Pro or just the standard PS4?

Bah, massive group of unsuspecting enemies so I negative smash directly into the middle of them and they completely ignore it - the little side-goal thing pops up and I think that it negated my amazing actions. There are some bugs here, had it completely crash yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Sng said:

Just noticed that the reflections in the building windows aren't accurate. They just reflect back a random cityscape. Is that the same with the Pro or just the standard PS4?

It's the same with the pro. Realtime reflections would be asking too much of this gen I feel. Plus, it's only noticeable if you're looking for it. 

Is it a bird? Is it a plane?

It’s surely a plane. A jet plane. I’m talking about my PS4 Pro whilst this is running. Right, guys?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

As a massive fan of the Arkham games (and Batman in general) I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Once you unlock more of the moves, the options available to the player are far more varied than in Arkham. You can really do some spectacular combos if you're calm and know what you're doing. I'll actually go as far as to say this shows the Arkham games up. 

The combat in this is genuinely brilliant, though I'll admit that at first it appears lightweight compared to Arkham.

It's more than combat though isn't it. The way the narrative in Arkham progresses with your gadgets is more interesting and structurally how it opens up new areas and lets you gradually clean up the map/collectibles is more involved. Here what you get is a new set of markers to travel to and press triangle to collect or at best some mild distraction (swing through some smog etc) compare that with the variety they squeezed from solving Riddler challenges alone in Arkham and I'd argue it's a way richer/varied experience.

In fairness the structure does suit Batman "worlds greatest detective" character more easily than Spiderman. This is still an entertaining and beautifully crafted experience so far just not one that I would at the moment rate quite with the Batman games (not finished yet so I'm far from final impressions).

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think they're just different and I like them both for different reasons. I like how the combat in Arkham is weightier and allows for amazing sense of fluidity as you pounce across the arena from one enemy to the next. It's almost like a rhythm game in that it's quite reactive but you can almost completely zone out as you instinctively get into the flow. 

Spiderman doesn't feel as weighty in combat and you have to put a lot more effort into usage of your skills and positioning, which means I don't quite get the same feeling of zoning out into a state of Zen while playing it. It demands fuller attention but rewards that with a greater variety of options and autonomy.

• Upvote 1

Arkham has a Metroid/Zelda structure with 'dungeons' and gated areas.

I haven't encountered anything like that in Spider-man yet. Not worse, just different.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's more than combat though isn't it. The way the narrative in Arkham progresses with your gadgets is more interesting and structurally how it opens up new areas and lets you gradually clean up the map/collectibles is more involved. Here what you get is a new set of markers to travel to and press triangle to collect or at best some mild distraction (swing through some smog etc) compare that with the variety they squeezed from solving Riddler challenges alone in Arkham and I'd argue it's a way richer/varied experience.

In fairness the structure does suit Batman "worlds greatest detective" character more easily than Spiderman. This is still an entertaining and beautifully crafted experience so far just not one that I would at the moment rate quite with the Batman games (not finished yet so I'm far from final impressions).

Ah, I see where you're coming from. By mechanics I figured you meant combat mechanics.  Something akin to the Riddler challenges would be nice. There's certainly room for improvement in this game. But I'm preferring the combat in this. :)

• Upvote 1