rllmuk
Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

1 hour ago, Mike1812 said:

What was the combat like in Sunset?

Quite fun, but mostly gun based. The real fun of that game was to cross the map without touching the ground.

36 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Easily my fave console-exclusive on Xbox One.

I can't be the only perturbed every time I see this typed out. 

Not a dig at you personally fella, I've seen a few people use this phrasing recently and I find it so weird! 

• Downvote 2

After years of mediocre multi-format Activision games, I suspect a more invested, exclusive partner will make a world of difference.

If Insomniac do a good job — which seems to be the case — I imagine they could continue the series on multiple platforms; from an interview it sounds like this is Marvel's first real stab at getting back into games.

5 minutes ago, Aimless said:

After years of mediocre multi-format Activision games, I suspect a more invested, exclusive partner will make a world of difference.

If Insomniac do a good job — which seems to be the case — I imagine they could continue the series on multiple platforms; from an interview it sounds like this is Marvel's first real stab at getting back into games.

It sounds like this is a SIE funded joint, Marvel sound like they are just looking for partners to pay for the games development. 

In one interview the game director said Sony approached Insomniac to see if they wanted to make a Spider-Man game for them.

Disney are absolute business gods, they have the biggest comic book character in the world but have Sony funding the game and a movie and animated movie and Marvel get all the merchandising money.... incredible.

Insomniac are going to deliver big time with this and will without doubt push them even higher as a studio, cannot wait for this game.

I've gotta to be honest, i assumed Sucker Punch were doing this (what are they up to?), but when i realised it was Insomniac, i thought "Wow, that's a perfect fit".

I have no interest in playing a Spider-Man game, but i can already see its in the right hands.

5 hours ago, dood said:

I can't be the only perturbed every time I see this typed out. 

Not a dig at you personally fella, I've seen a few people use this phrasing recently and I find it so weird! 

I'm starting to genuinely believe in a conspiracy where MS pay people to use their mind-control language on internet forums. 

I wonder whether the exclusivity had anything to do with discussion over the movie rights?

Marvel haven't seemed at all interested in games since the Disney move, big ticket titles anyway, something Brad mentioned in the Bombcast recently. I wonder if negotiations for Spider-man to join the MCU saw Sony interested in the games rights, given that PlayStation is their great success at the moment, and Marvel not bothered about agreeing an exclusivity for something they weren't going to do anything with anyway...?

Either way, Sony have a very interesting game in development. Looks brilliant, with a top team behind it. Says something when the only real criticism so far is the costume choice. Shame it's an exclusive.

For those who missed this amongst the E3 news, looks amazing, if a little bit heavy on the canned animations and scripted sequences.  I do wonder what the non-epic-mission gameplay will look/feel like.  

Staggering to think that this is what games can look like nowadays!

Spider-Man has looked decent since it was first announced so it was great to see some extended 'gameplay'. The animations look rock solid, especially during the combat which has been a problem in every previous Spider-Man game. If it can deliver that really tight Arkham style counter focussed combat then it could be quite special.

Shattered Dimensions was one of the best and considering it was very limited in its open web swinging environments its great to see Insomniac giving us the whole of New York to enjoy once again. The 'Amazing' movie tie-ins were very poor and prior to that the other movie tie-ins had some good moments but as usual let down by combat. The trailer is heavily fuelled by embedded cut scenes and QTEs but signs are there that they are going to finally deliver a Spider-Man game worthy of the title!

I posted my take on the Spider-Man E3 footage in the big Sony conference thread, but it's more relevant here. In slightly edited form:

We haven't had a brilliant or even great Spider-Man game since Spider-Man on PS2. And we've never had a Spider-Man game with such lavish production values and gorgeous graphics :wub:

The E3 demo showed a big set-piece / boss battle, which contains QTEs just like every other big set-piece in every single Spider-Man game since the PS2. It looked spectacular, but going by previous entries I think this will be only a small part of the game and that we need not worry. 

A good Spider-Man game is mostly about the swinging and the combat against normal goons comes second after a significant gap. That's 95% of the game, the last part consisting of boss battles and set-pieces and such. In the E3 we saw a bit of stealth, a bit of combat, and a bit of swinging. It's hard to make a definitive judgement without playing it, but the stealth looked great, the combat suitably spectacular, and the swinging... looks very promising! First off, the city environment is drop dead gorgeous. But going from a few button prompts that flashed on-screen every now and again, it seems like you've got a webshot button for each hand: two shoulder buttons. That's a very promising start. Now all we need is for someone to confirm whether the web has to attach to something instead of just thin air and whether the momentum feels good - key to the brilliance of Spider-Man 2's web swinging.

In short this looked hella promising! All you need to do is look past all the QTE at the game underneath. Is it playable at E3, anyone know? Would love to know from someone who has played it whether the web swinging makes or breaks the game.

• Upvote 1

I think swinging (the traditional type) might be my favourite thing to do in games. If Insomniac nail it and combine accessibility and depth to allow awesome advanced moves it could provide endless fun. I'd never get round to doing the missions (much like in the Spider-man 2 game on the original Xbox).

• Upvote 2

On 2016-6-15 at 00:43, Darwock said:

I'm starting to genuinely believe in a conspiracy where MS pay people to use their mind-control language on internet forums. 

Is this the same way that until today you genuinely believed that the CEO Kaz Hirai twitter account was real?  ;)

Relax, MS aren't paying anybody.

They do it for free.

• Upvote 1

Funny to see DC just copying Marvel when it comes to making movies and the exact opposite happening in the gaming space. This looks like a mod for Arkham Knight. 

• Upvote 3

I was genuinely interested in this when I saw it this time, but I was actually pretty dissapointed with what I saw.

I mean, the graphics are great, but the game itself looked so much like all the previous games I've played, that it was hard to get too excited.

I feel so old and miserable this E3 and having now lived through 3 Spiderman movie reboots, I feel even older.

I'm concerned about how much control we'll actually have, the combat looked very scripted, I'd love to see a normal person playing it without knowing where the triggers for the animations are, see how it holds up. I got bored about half way through the conference footage and turned it off, a lot of cutscenes and QTE stuff which looked boring, like that new Tomb Raider game.

• Upvote 1

Apparently they're going for accessibility, but higher level players will be able to move more quickly and fluidly, a bit like Sunset Overdrive where good players could chain moves together and never touch the ground. 

Combat seems fine and in line with Spideys abilities, though I hope you can switch off that dodge indicator, like in Hard mode in the Arkham games. I also like that you can use your web on objects in the environment.

As for the QTEs, I don't really mind them as long as they're easy to hit, none of that Bayonetta fuck up your flow bullshit.

All in all, it looks a lot of fun and proper gorgeous to boot. Insomniac is a competent dev as well, so yeah, looking forward to it.

Gifs:

35275085395_4244ea8875_o.gif

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/cNA5y

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/VOvUAow

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/S01vPfY

https://m.imgur.com/IJWpfDq?r

Again, the most important thing is that they get the web swinging right. That's what you'll be doing most of the time, the rest is just a bonus.

2 hours ago, Pob said:

I think swinging (the traditional type) might be my favourite thing to do in games. 

This. Spider-Man 2 had shit missions and annoying combat and was still one of my top favourite games of that generation - and I'm not the only one. It really doesn't matter if the occasional set-piece contains loads of QTEs like in the E3 presentation.

A beautiful, current-gen AAA digital Manhattan to swing around in with the same mechanics as Spider-Man 2, would automatically make it a GotY contender :wub::wub:

After that, I would love it if this same team were somehow allowed to make Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 2

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Again, the most important thing is that they get the web swinging right. That's what you'll be doing most of the time, the rest is just a bonus.

After that, I would love it if this same team were somehow allowed to make Hulk: Ultimate Destruction 2

This

I did enjoy piledriving dudes off buildings in Spider-Man 2 but it was a bit weird. 

Having watched the full video, it really is Arkham's combat, stealth and grappling combined with Spider-Man 2's web swinging and wall-running. Like, exactly. That's no bad thing though. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

In the same way arkham knight doesn't let you kill anybody?

:P

Not quite. This game has you saving humans, preventing debris falling on humans etc. Arkam Batman was just breaking lots of bones. :)

• Upvote 1

I am completely bored by the super hero games (and movies) so when I clicked this, almost entirely unaware of its existence, I think I had a mild stroke: it is one of the most amazing looking games I have ever seen. The solidity of the action, the transitions, the animation, the city, the detail of the open world... I mean, fucking wow of wow fuck. This is industry changing stuff (I mean, just compare it to the new Assassin's Creed which looks very underwhelming). Am I blind?

Also, when I watched the video I totally hoped that we can control spidey during his every day stuff, school, university, dates and see the story develop, etc. I know that will not going to happen, but it would make the super hero stuff so interesting as a contrast.

• Upvote 1

Visually stunning but also like the amount of agency you have is limited to beefed up QTEs. Can't see this veering too far off the rails it appears to be on but will be very happy to be proved completely and utterly wrong.

• Upvote 1