Hexx

Spider-Man PS4 - Insomniac swings into action!

This game looks like a beefed up batman Arkham game so I'm not super hyped for it as I've already played this kind of game many times before. That said, It's nice to finally get a Spider-Man game like this that puts together what is 20 years worth of progress. It's likely to be a top tier AAA game but nothing groundbreaking.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I am completely bored by the super hero games (and movies) so when I clicked this, almost entirely unaware of its existence, I think I had a mild stroke: it is one of the most amazing looking games I have ever seen. The solidity of the action, the transitions, the animation, the city, the detail of the open world... I mean, fucking wow of wow fuck. This is industry changing stuff (I mean, just compare it to the new Assassin's Creed which looks very underwhelming). Am I blind?

Also, when I watched the video I totally hoped that we can control spidey during his every day stuff, school, university, dates and see the story develop, etc. I know that will not going to happen, but it would make the super hero stuff so interesting as a contrast.

Well that Kotaku previews says that being Peter is all part of it so you never know. 

I just hope that the story missions aren't all that hyper-scripted QTE stuff. That looked sub-GTA. I don't mind a bit of it, but they really need to avoid a Far Cry 3 situation where you have to knuckle down to make progress because the story missions are so poor compared to the sandbox. 

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

Well that Kotaku previews says that being Peter is all part of it so you never know. 

I just hope that the story missions aren't all that hyper-scripted QTE stuff. That looked sub-GTA. I don't mind a bit of it, but they really need to avoid a Far Cry 3 situation where you have to knuckle down to make progress because the story missions are so poor compared to the sandbox. 

That would be great news if so. I think a combination of scripted QTE stuff and sandbox approach would be the way to go for the series. Have the spectacle but maintain the freedom.

Hopefully.

Sounds promising! :) Remember - Spider-Man 2 also had a simple and an advanced web swinging control scheme. That worked fine and it's the advanced one that we all remember so fondly.

Somebody needs to ask Insomniac whether the web attaches to actual objects like in Spider-Man 2 though. Instead of to thin air like in lesser Spidey games.

Also, I might be a bit of a Spider-Man videogame fanboy but I really don't get comments from @Dig Dug and others that we've seen it all before. Just Arkham all over again. Sure, the game still has to prove itself but I don't remember any Arkham game that featured anything remotely like the exhilarating web swinging that Spider-Man 2 had. And on top of that, assume that this Insomniac Spidey game manages to nail the web swinging the same way Spider-Man 2 did, it will be the first game to do so since 2004 and the second game overall. I don't get how that can be 'the same old, same old' to be honest.

I'll try tweeting those Insomniac folks about the swinging, or else I'll ask @xibxang  about it.

• Upvote 2

Doh I totally thought this was being done by the Infamous devs. Not that I've played any Infamous games, or Sunset Overdrive for that matter.

Regarding Manhattan, surely that's been modelled so many times now there's a middleware, off-the-shelf thing you can buy and add your own stuff to? It seems so wasteful all these devs creating the same hyper-real assets over and over again.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Not quite. This game has you saving humans, preventing debris falling on humans etc. Arkam Batman was just breaking lots of bones. :)

Appreciate the sentiment, but smashing a 200kg iron girder into a person's face isn't the most safe of things to perform if you want to keep them alive...

8 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I am completely bored by the super hero games (and movies) so when I clicked this, almost entirely unaware of its existence, I think I had a mild stroke: it is one of the most amazing looking games I have ever seen. The solidity of the action, the transitions, the animation, the city, the detail of the open world... I mean, fucking wow of wow fuck. This is industry changing stuff (I mean, just compare it to the new Assassin's Creed which looks very underwhelming). Am I blind?

Also, when I watched the video I totally hoped that we can control spidey during his every day stuff, school, university, dates and see the story develop, etc. I know that will not going to happen, but it would make the super hero stuff so interesting as a contrast.

They've saidyou'll get to play as Peter Parker in non-spidey mode too! 

• Upvote 1

Playing as Peter Parker would be a great contrast, going around taking cool photos, maybe even setting up your cameras in certain areas and then later trying to funnel bad guys down that way so you can get the killer exclusive spidey photo for the bugle!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Syntax said:

Playing as Peter Parker would be a great contrast, going around taking cool photos, maybe even setting up your cameras in certain areas and then later trying to funnel bad guys down that way so you can get the killer exclusive spidey photo for the bugle!

That would be so amazing I am willing to wait six months more to implement that. 

What makes Spider Man so great is that we see his everyday life struggles. Hope they are implemented in a meaningful way and not simply a couple of cutscenes. 

@Mr. Gerbik do your duty and ask Insomniac. You are a proper insider now. :D

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sounds promising! :) Remember - Spider-Man 2 also had a simple and an advanced web swinging control scheme. That worked fine and it's the advanced one that we all remember so fondly.

Somebody needs to ask Insomniac whether the web attaches to actual objects like in Spider-Man 2 though. Instead of to thin air like in lesser Spidey games.

Also, I might be a bit of a Spider-Man videogame fanboy but I really don't get comments from @Dig Dug and others that we've seen it all before. Just Arkham all over again. Sure, the game still has to prove itself but I don't remember any Arkham game that featured anything remotely like the exhilarating web swinging that Spider-Man 2 had. And on top of that, assume that this Insomniac Spidey game manages to nail the web swinging the same way Spider-Man 2 did, it will be the first game to do so since 2004 and the second game overall. I don't get how that can be 'the same old, same old' to be honest.

I'll try tweeting those Insomniac folks about the swinging, or else I'll ask @xibxang  about it.

I would say say that the gliding mechanic in Arkham City was very good and felt like you're describing. It was my favourite thing in the game. I'm not saying that it means this is pointless or anything (my concern is mostly that the combat will feel like Arkham, that's the only thing I didn't like about those games), just pointing out that those games do have a similar mechanic.

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

Having to balance managing Peter's life versus spending enough time as Spider-Man to stop the main villain's plan from unfolding horribly would be a fantastic mechanic.

This would sell sell it to me regardless of how the combat felt.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Guys. GUYS! Insomniac answered me:

Yes! Potentially best ever Spider-Man game ever confirmed! :omg: They're saying exactly what we want to hear :D

Remember that mastering the momentum by shooting web at the right moment and at the right angle is what made the swinging in Spider-Man 2 so exhilarating. Going full speed round corners once you got the hang of it (so to speak) was a real rush. Insomniac emphasising momentum and physics is reason to be VERY optimistic!

That sounds amazing! This is also a huge factor and really encouraging. Just need more details on how it works for "everyone" but is also challenging. Very exciting though.

How many of you have played Sunset Overdrive? Because getting around the city in that is superb. I'm totally crap at it, and this is me after coming back to the game following over a year away from it:

Basically, if anyone can totally nail the feeling of zipping round the city as spider-man, it's these guys. 

• Upvote 4

On 2016-6-14 at 19:34, dood said:

I can't be the only perturbed every time I see this typed out. 

Not a dig at you personally fella, I've seen a few people use this phrasing recently and I find it so weird! 

Why?

2 hours ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Why?

Heh, I didn't even remember typing that! 

The whole industry jargon thing just rubs me the wrong way, I guess. Like, would you actually say that if we were talking? 

It just sounds odd to me.  "it's my fave game on the Bone"  would be how I'd say it! 

5 hours ago, Broker said:

I would say say that the gliding mechanic in Arkham City was very good and felt like you're describing. It was my favourite thing in the game. I'm not saying that it means this is pointless or anything (my concern is mostly that the combat will feel like Arkham, that's the only thing I didn't like about those games), just pointing out that those games do have a similar mechanic.

I don't think Arkham actually had swinging  as a form of traversal. The grapple was basically just used to ascend. The only time you'd actually swing between points would be in preset locations (usually between gargoyles). 

Swinging - like Bionic Commando or Indiana Jones - is a different and very satisfying form of traversal if you have some control over the grapple points and your inertia. The gliding in Arkham is like the cape in Marioworld. Lovely, but different. 

I always thought the Arkham games could implement swinging by letting you hold the grapple button down so that you didn't immediately reel yourself in. You could attach yourself to something, run or jump off and edge and let the physics take over, releasing at the right time to use the inertia to glide off or grapple the next point.

On the combat point, I'd say the combat in Arkham is actually more suited to Spidey than Batman. The way he leaps huge distances, using his whole body in acrobatic moves that send goons flying is pure Spidey. The limb-breaking finishes, less so. But in general it's the perfect fit for a Spider-Man game. It's unoriginal, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

This looks nice enough but my enthusiasm is tempered by it being an Insomniac game - their stuff always looks great but just isn't much fun to play. 

Sunset Overdrive is excellent, some of the best open world traversal this gen. Ratchet and Clank is fun as well and Resistance 3 is rather underrated.

12 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Sunset Overdrive is excellent, some of the best open world traversal this gen.

I dunno... it's a bit on-rails.

;)

• Upvote 1

You had to play sections as Peter in the last Spider-Man game. Each & every time you played as him was totally rubbish. If you want to play a boring game where you walk around taking pictures of things & looking at various landmarks I'm sure Ubisoft have some upcoming releases that would be a better fit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dood said:

Heh, I didn't even remember typing that! 

The whole industry jargon thing just rubs me the wrong way, I guess. Like, would you actually say that if we were talking? 

It just sounds odd to me.  "it's my fave game on the Bone"  would be how I'd say it! 

But it's not my fave game on Xbox One, it's my fave exclusive on Xbox One (and, actually, still my fave new IP on Xbox One - it was nice to have something that wasn't a sequel or a remaster).

10 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

You had to play sections as Peter in the last Spider-Man game. Each & every time you played as him was totally rubbish. If you want to play a boring game where you walk around taking pictures of things & looking at various landmarks I'm sure Ubisoft have some upcoming releases that would be a better fit. 

Or maybe not make it boring? :P Having some info on his life, personal matters, some nice gameplay moments, a bit of emotional storytelling, you know, connecting the hero and the kid, is what these games need imo.  

Pure wishlist this but they should blow all their budget so the Peter Parker sections can feature interactions with J. Jonah Jameson voiced by J.K.Simmons again!

• Upvote 1