Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Making Zombies Creepy Again

Nespresso

4 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Do you only get RE4 remastered if you pre-order on PS4/Xbox One? Or does it come with the game at launch anyway? Please confirm!

The only place I have seen this mentioned, and I have actively looked, is on this forum. 

Is this actually a thing?

I think this is going to be one of those slow burner quality games like Zombi U and Alien Isolation where because a developer has tried to take the FPS format in a more celebral and atmospheric direction, and not just given you a river load of enemies to kill with massive guns, all the big American game sites are going to reject it.

Silly American sites.

Something tells me , nagging in the back of my mind, that the full game isn't going to offer much more than the demo does.  I don't know why but it just looks to me like one of those games that get s 6/10 review and goes to £20 a month after launch.  No idea why.  The demo is great, but I can't see what else there is to go into a full game, especially when VR inhibits long play sessions.

There's a massive early impressions thread on GAF, it sounds like it's being sold early in some places in Europe. General impressions are mixed to positive on the whole, somewhere along the lines of a definitely step in the right direction from 6 but not a total success.

Seems like the game gets more action orientated as it goes on but the gunplay isnt good enough for it to be properly satisfying, so the best parts of the game are those where there isn't such a focus on shooting. Some positive parallels have been drawn between the first half of 7 and the early games.

I wonder if they designed the gunplay around a game which wasn't expected to feature much, then got cold feet at the idea of not including any action sequences.

1 hour ago, Stevedave said:

They gave resi 6 39/40 so their credibility is in the gutter as far as I'm concerned.

I remember a time not so long ago when Famitsu scores were still highly regarded. Some time back in the early 90s, wasn't it?

This completely passed my by as I'd kind of given up after the abomination of RE6 and the shift to 1st person didnt really appeal but I downloaded the demo the other night mainly to test out the HDR on my new TV and it's pretty fucking great. Will wait for the reviews before splashing out on a full price game but I have a question. 

Is the stuff in the demo included in the main game? Sure I read somewhere that it was a little standalone mission but I may have dreamt it. If it is exclusive I may just rinse it out tonight. 

24 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

This completely passed my by as I'd kind of given up after the abomination of RE6 and the shift to 1st person didnt really appeal but I downloaded the demo the other night mainly to test out the HDR on my new TV and it's pretty fucking great. Will wait for the reviews before splashing out on a full price game but I have a question. 

Is the stuff in the demo included in the main game? Sure I read somewhere that it was a little standalone mission but I may have dreamt it. If it is exclusive I may just rinse it out tonight. 

Not, the demo is not part of the game.

Yeah, just spent an hour or so in the demo on a telly and have no idea how in the name of merry FUCK how anyone could play this in VR. I'd love to experience it for just 5 minutes but I'd be a dribbling piss-covered mess if I did more than that. 

I died twice in two completely different ways, I presume there is a good ending and I can actually get out alive?

The embargo for this will be lifted any time now, right? 

If you want early impressions on the full game, open the spoilers: 

So a friend of mine got his copy on Thursday last week and started to play immediately. He wasn't really fond of the demo, so he wasn't excited by this at all. I think it needs to be said that he's one of the biggest RE4 fans I know, he's probably completed that more than 20 times spread over different versions of the game, and it remains one of his top 10 games of all times. 

After about 5 hours of playing he rang me and told me to come over, something I couldn't do at the moment so I paid him a visit on Friday instead. He was so excited to tell me that not only was the game incredibly good, as in actually a good game and not just better than expected, but the addition of VR makes the entire experiense so much more engrossing that it stands head and shoulders above nearly every other horror games for atmosphere. 

So, he was so insistant on the VR mode being the only way to play it that he was afraid that everyone not playing it in VR would miss out. So we decided to give it a go without the VR headset and opted for 4K HDR instead. 

First of all, WOW, the visuals are truly stunning in 4K HDR. It performs incredibly smooth on the pro and technically this is one of the best showcases for the console at the moment. 

So, MY impressions of the game then. It starts out good. Like, it's more than OK, you know it's a quality game from the get go but it was merely "a good game" at first. Then as I progressed through a few puzzles, explored the house a bit, had been chased a couple of times and beat a couple of bosses, it slowly occured to me that I was totally lost in this game. What should've been a brief go at the game ended up in a four hour session in what felt like the blink of an eye, and I had to force myself to quit playing because I'm getting it this afternoon and I want to experience it for myself with my own VR headset, but fuck me was that amazing. I had to try it a bit with the VR headset as well, which ended up with another hour passing, 

My overall thoughts, then. 

This is deffo a RE game. It didn't feel like it at first, but after 30 minutes the first person view didn't feel off at all and I was in no doubt this was a classic RE game. Truth to be told, the first person view actually makes sense when you get past the brief opening part of the game. 

It is also, hands down, the scariest RE game to date (and possibly the goriest as well). The scare factor will be amplified for most people with the VR experience, but it will still be one hell of a ride for everyone else. While there are jump scares, RE7 does them so well that you forgive it, but it's the overall atmosphere and constant paranoia that'll have your blood rushing at unhealthy levels. 

At its heart, it's still good old Resident Evil with a mix of easy to cryptic puzzles, cheesy voice acting, inventory management and freaky bosses. I haven't completed the game yet, but from my 4-5 hours with it I'm certain of a couple of things. For me, this is hands down THE best game for VR ever. There are no other games out there showcasing the VR experience as good as this and it doesn't hurt that the actual game is a cracker to boot. 

Do I think it's better than RE4? No, not yet at least. Then again I haven't seen the best bits of the game yet (my friend completed it yesterday and said the latter half is a lot better than the first half) but it's better than RE4 in some parts. For me, this is up there as the second best RE game ever, with the possibility to even surpass the beloved RE4 in the end. I can't wait to find out. 

This might turn out to be my videogame experience of the year thanks to the addition of VR support. Can't bloody wait to get started on this tonight!

Anyone know what time cdkeys will be sending out keys for this? Have tomorrow off but was hoping it would activate later (unlikely till midnight i guess). I should still get a few hours in to it tomorrow but tonight would be great.

Do we have any idea on how long it takes to finish? don't really want to go ready any spoilers.

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Do we have any idea on how long it takes to finish? don't really want to go ready any spoilers.

Length of game in spoilers:

The campaign is about 15 hours long and a good 20 hours for completionists