IGNORED

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Making Zombies Creepy Again

Nespresso

I’ve done the same as you @Bushtopher and started a second playthrough of 7 as a way of sating a hunger for Resident Evil without buying yet more games. Only difference being I’ve already played through it to completion once before. It’s incredible how great it looks even now, four years after it was released - even more incredible to think Capcom have churned out a further three major RE games since then. 

20 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

Still going with this and had my biggest jump scare yet last night. 

In the old house, 

Reveal hidden contents

clearly feeling far too comfortable, I’d made the woman with the lamp run off so I didn’t need to sneak around the house and was heading up to the Crow door. 

At the top of the stairs, the damn woman jumped out on me and I actually shouted out to the extent that my wife came running into the room to see what was going on!

I’m just relieved that this didn’t happen in VR….!

I've just played through this and I love the audacity of

Spoiler

comedy boss fight stuck at the bottom of a pit :D

Just when I think I'm getting used to the atmosphere and not finding it too bad, it ramps up even more.

Have just 

Spoiler

been back in the old house to get the arm (weird), and the whole bit leading up to it I was expecting stuff to start jumping out at me.  The way the music ramps up as soon as you have the arm though and are making your way back through the house - now with those mold guys to deal with - was just brilliant, especially with headphones on.  My heart was racing!

I now need to go back to the dissection room.  Not looking forward to that.

I've put in about 8 hours... how much is left, roughly?  Not keen on googling in case of accidental spoilers.  And does it keep ratcheting up the tension?!  

Quick resume has played havoc with my save time - I’m 42 hours in and have only just left the boat house. 😂 

Spoiler

I chose to save Zoe this time, instead of Mia - the bloody game just offs her immediately and picks up at the same point with Mia. What a crock of shit choice! I’ve no idea why they give it to you in the first place. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m still going with this but must admit that I’m enjoying much less since 

Spoiler

getting to the boat. 

The setting just isn’t as interesting/scary, and it’s rather jarring to have a change of scenery (and protagonist) so late into the game. 

I’ve done the flashback bit and now need to find/rescue Ethan. Is there much more to go? I really want to finish this now  

I've just went back to this. I actually started it on release day and played a good 3-4 hours via PSVR, it was great but pretty intense. I intended completing the game that way but could only play 20 mins at a time before my head started to fall off. I love VR but have never managed to fully get my legs, it's all 20 minutes here and there. I have a Quest and a ton of games and a PC link so I'll get there eventually, same thing with HL Alyx, always tomorrow is going to be the day but tomorrow has never came, yet.

Anyway, I'm now a couple of hours further on the clock, it's definitely not as intense as in VR but I can't wait any longer seeing as I plumped for Village on PC and then realised it was a direct sequel for the protagonist of 7. I couldn't very well play 8 then go back to 7. Speeding through and loving it.

Finished! Overall I enjoyed it and it's a solid game. Glad to have played it before I make a start on 8 too.

Any recommendations for tackling the DLC on the Gold Edition (order and what not to bother with) or maybe straight back into another playthrough with the unlocked weapon?

5 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Finished! Overall I enjoyed it and it's a solid game. Glad to have played it before I make a start on 8 too.

Any recommendations for tackling the DLC on the Gold Edition (order and what not to bother with) or maybe straight back into another playthrough with the unlocked weapon?

Give the 21 card game a go. It's quite addictive and morbidly funny.

And done!

Once I got out of 

Spoiler

the ship, it picked back up again. Not sure why I didn’t like that section so much. 

Was bricking it as I got to Eveline as barely had any ammo left. Enjoyed the final boss being pretty straight forward though - just keep shooting her in her big face, can’t go wrong!

I got that she was the old woman from some of the docs that you find along the way (which make it pretty obvious to be honest), but was still a nice ‘twist’ that she’d been around/watching you from very early on. 

Also liked the fact that actually the Bakers were innocent in all this too in the end. 

Anyway, overall, I really enjoyed that. Glad I picked it up again and battled through the first hour or so as that was the bit I found particularly creepy/tense. Still not sure I could complete it in VR despite knowing what to expect now!

Might check out some of the DLC, and I have Resi 3 Remake to go next, at which point it might be time for Resi 8 :)

• 5 months later...

Have to say that while this is a brilliant game for the majority of the playthrough, the final section once you switch back to Ethan again after having been Mia was basically rubbish, it’s hard to think how they could have made it any less inspired.

5 hours ago, ZOK said:

Have to say that while this is a brilliant game for the majority of the playthrough, the final section once you switch back to Ethan again after having been Mia was basically rubbish, it’s hard to think how they could have made it any less inspired.

Village is the same tbh. First half is fantastic, second half is mehhhhhh. 

The obsession with trigger bombs always makes me laugh though, so needless.

14 hours ago, Varsity said:

Yeah, they throw them at you all through Mia's section for some reason. 

Don’t they! You pick up all those corrosive sprays, then excitedly hunt back round the ship just to collect 50 more remote bombs that you don’t want.

• 6 months later...

I'm shut indoors trying to keep the heat and the sun out when it still seems to find its way through the cracks in the blinds and under the doors.

Or; there hasn't been a better time all year to try this than now. Never really liked the switch to a first-person view in the series, and as a true RE game I still don't think it works. As a tense horror game on the other hand, it absolutely does. Really love the atmosphere, and the whole "Silence of the Lambs finale" tension that pervades the experience.

I held off getting VIIIage on account of it not being third-person (I'm glad they decided to add it after all), but as a one-off, I think Resident EVII - Biohazard deserves its place in this celebrated horror series.

One day I will go back to this and finish it, I played maybe a 3rd I think and got distracted by something else. I enjoyed it up to that point. I think the first person works well, it does in Village as well (I didn't know they added 3rd person to that).

1 hour ago, Sane said:

One day I will go back to this and finish it, I played maybe a 3rd I think and got distracted by something else. I enjoyed it up to that point. I think the first person works well, it does in Village as well (I didn't know they added 3rd person to that).

They haven’t yet, it’s being added as a free update with the DLC in October. 

VII is good, I like that it’s a tight 8 hour game. I’ve played through the remakes of 1 and 2, 4 and VII in the last few weeks and it’s certainly not my favourite in the series (I also favour 3rd person), but VII was fun and I like the puzzles and the focus on horror. 

1 hour ago, Broker said:

They haven’t yet, it’s being added as a free update with the DLC in October. 

VII is good, I like that it’s a tight 8 hour game. I’ve played through the remakes of 1 and 2, 4 and VII in the last few weeks and it’s certainly not my favourite in the series (I also favour 3rd person), but VII was fun and I like the puzzles and the focus on horror. 

Ah right. I sold Village after finishing it, might pick it up again in a sale to try it out sometime. 

I will restart VII next time I want to play a horror game. 

I've banged on about this continuously - but if you can, play this in VR it is one of the absolute standout experiences. 

You have to be able to withstand some tension though - I'm not usually freaked out by horror games but this in VR seriously had me sweating.

• 2 weeks later...