Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Making Zombies Creepy Again

Nespresso

On 21/09/2017 at 10:14, Hexx said:

Chris looks so different :(

Apparently it was because the director hated roided out chris from Resi 5/6. 

http://stevivor.com/news/resident-evil-7-capcom-admits-roided-redfield-looked-deformed/

Personally I think they should keep Remake chris as the default character model. It's confusing now with all these versions of him - there's about 6 or 7 in total. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Got this on mah PC yesterday and so far I think it's great! Once the keys and the item boxes appeared it began to feel like one of the classic titles, popping into save rooms to plan excursions and hurrying back again once the shit inevitably hits the fan, the slow but deadly monsters, conserving ammo just in case, the wonderfully creepy atmosphere, the surreal puzzles that would have no place whatsoever in this world if it was a real place but it's not a real place it's Resident Evil land and it's awesome. I'm finding it pretty scary too; there was a moment early on that reminded me of Jaws and I nearly shat myself.

I nearly threw my pad out the window at that bit yesterday. I came back to it this afternoon and got through it first time, using the tactic I'd originally stopped using as I thought I was doing it wrong.

I tried just using the chainsaw first time through and died, then thought shooting him with the shotgun after he'd burst open was the right way to do it and died another ten times or so, then today went back to just using the chainsaw on him and beat him straight off. Getting annoyed at the buzzing flies now in the old house.

6 hours ago, Vinz Clortho said:

I nearly threw my pad out the window at that bit yesterday. I came back to it this afternoon and got through it first time, using the tactic I'd originally stopped using as I thought I was doing it wrong.

Hide contents

I tried just using the chainsaw first time through and died, then thought shooting him with the shotgun after he'd burst open was the right way to do it and died another ten times or so, then today went back to just using the chainsaw on him and beat him straight off. Getting annoyed at the buzzing flies now in the old house.

I did it first time, although just by the skin of my teeth! Right towards the end I was almost dead and just standing there swinging wildly and hoping for the best, the entire screen red so I could barely see, but it worked! :lol:

Still stumbling my way through this. Inventory management is getting on my tits. Remember the old games, where it'd tell you you no longer needed a key and could safely discard it? It needs that so I don't end up carrying a school caretaker's amount of keys around with me. 

I had to visit an item box about three times to swap various shotgun bits about. 

In terms of where I'm up to:

Spoiler

It's all gone a bit SAW. I've killed Marguerite and her infested fanny (eww) and I've just done the "Happy Birthday" tape, about to head into Lucas's mad house of horrors. 

They've introduced faster moulded that scuttle along the floor but they, like the slow versions, are more annoying than unnerving. 

Ammo is a constant problem. Three shotgun shells here and there is pretty rubbish, but at least I can make my own hand gun bullets. 

Overall I really like it, but it's never been scary  and it's not even tense or unnerving any more. Mostly I'm just charging about with wanton abandon, avoiding moulded where I can because they're slow, dumb, and take too many bullets to put down to be really worth it unless you absolutely have to. I'd guess I'm about halfway or more through and the first couple of hours were definitely the best. 

• 1 month later...

I'm up to the part where you grab the thing from the bath that I think you have to make look like an eagle on a painting (...OK then) and I'm not really getting the gameplay. I'm never sure if I'm supposed to be fighting enemies, hiding from them or straight up running away from them. The enemy sequence I'm in just now feels even tankier and clunkier than the original Resident Evil games (which I liked) but at least in those I knew I was supposed to be killing enemies most of the time. Here I'm like, shoot in head, shoot in head, shoot in head maybe 15 or 20 times, then I'm like, oh OK maybe I'm supposed to run? And after 15 minutes of running I'm like, I could be playing Valkyria Chronicles instead, and then I play Valkyria Chronicles.

Anyone that's finished this able to help me? I played a pretty long session a while ago and got up to the bit where (still quite early but spoilered anyway):

Spoiler

I've done the bit on the balcony as the lady and now need to find the three heads of the cerebus and get the shotgun out of that room. I've got one head of the dogs but I'm now stuck. 

Any non spoiler-y hints would be appreciated. 

Without giving too much away. Re-search a lot of the rooms. Try to enter rooms you may not have opened yet or explored thoroughly, check under and in things. Use Resi logic on anything you interact with.

Hint Hint type Spoiler Below...

Spoiler

Check anything that tells the time.

Check rooms with TV's.

This game made me need the bathroom on numerous occasions. The main house has a bathroom too...

I had to stop playing this when I got to Jack the second time. Despite my best efforts I just kept dying, nearly did it a couple of times. Life's too short etc. A shame as I was really enjoying it up to that point, not quite as much as RE4 but those are big shoes to fill.

• 2 weeks later...

The dlc is released midnight! I am awaiting to hear about Not a Hero. End of Zoe is apparently pretty short, maybe 1-2 hours tops.

Hopefully Not a Hero is a bit longer. The value of the dlc for this game was shockingly poor. Should not have bothered, especially with Not a Hero being free dlc anyway and it sounds like it might be OK.

1 hour ago, Orko said:

Isn't not a hero just a shooting gallery against the moulded anyway? I think the shooting was easily the worst aspect of the main game and the game overall certainly suffered as a result of the shift in focus in the back half. 

From what i have seen, it's kinda like in RE7 where lucas sets up traps/puzzles for you along with a load of FPS sections. 

40 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

So now the dlc is out is it worth a newcomer getting the GOTY edition or stocking with the base game?

Depends really, if you can find the base game for half the price of the GOTY then maybe just stick with that. The dlc has some fun moments but not sure its worth the price of the season pass.

Not a hero is very basic.  Feels like more of the same, with a couple of good ideas that are not really used particularly well.  Good fun for a couple of hours but I finished it this morning and doubt there's any reason to go back to it. Definitely designed to be free all along. Enjoyed it for free but you'd complain if you paid for it.

36 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Not a hero is very basic.  Feels like more of the same, with a couple of good ideas that are not really used particularly well.  Good fun for a couple of hours but I finished it this morning and doubt there's any reason to go back to it. Definitely designed to be free all along. Enjoyed it for free but you'd complain if you paid for it.

Had issues downloading it but now good. Streaming it so i am hoping i don't get stuck anywhere, although 2 hours isn't too bad. I dread to think what the original release was supposed to be like before they delayed it to work on it more.

Really mixed bag this. If it wasn't for the fact you play as Chris, i would have said this was originally supposed to be in the main RE7 campaign. It just seems like it should have followed after the salt mines in the original game.

Anyway, i did get lost for a while. There was an area which seemed to lead no nowhere which i spent a lot of time investigating and even a lift that wouldn't operate after i stepped in it.

The problem is, the game seems dumb/dated. For example there is a puzzle where you need to find a crank. Sure, you get the crank but then you need another item so that you can retrieve a key that has beeen winched up into the air by a rope. Why The F*** can you not cut the rope with your knife? No you have to go round around for a cog to get the key.

There is also another area where something blocks the path forcing you to fight an enemy. Once you are done with the fight, you can just go and move the crate out the way. Again, why can't you just move it straight away? I also found myself trying to close doors i had passed through - something Fortnite has taught me to do. Nope, no chance in this dlc.

I am sure i missed bits because i recall a couple doors i bypassed. I doubt i missed too much, athough i am sure i didn't find the

third cop

but i'm not exactly eager to try again.

The end boss was difficult enough, just seemed to take forever. Chris then does the most sensible thing he does in the game and cut to ending cut scene.

Didn't learn anything new about Lucas really apart from the fact he is a whiney b*tch. Also, i dread to think what the original not a hero dlc was like before it got delayed and worked on more.

Playing Not A Hero on the PSVR, I noticed that the HUD is disabled by default (that may be because of the settings I used when I last played the main game), but this also switched off the little markers that appear that tell you to press X to interact with something.  I was stuck at the very first part with the garage doors because all you have to do is press X to make them open, and I was pressing O.  Got completely stuck, went on Youtube to watch a video of someone else playing it, and when they went to the door, it said X to open.  Activated the on screen HUD and suddenly there are items all over the place, all highlighted when you go anywhere near.  Found 6 of the 10 antique coins without even trying.

So activate the HUD.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got this as it's £15 on the PS store now. Just to repeat grindmouse's query above, I'm getting the impression that the general consensus on the dlc is that it's not really worth it? Or at least not the season pass. Are there any individual dlc's which are worth getting? Not that I've even played the main game yet, but still.

Not a Hero is a really good example of where games are getting really mean these days.  

Look at Resident Evil 4. You finish the main game, and this unlocks The Mercenaries, which is one of the best things about the game. You also get Separate Ways, and Operation Ada, two pretty cool additions of 1 - 2 hours each.  With Resi 7 you only get the main game, and completion earns you access to the same game again only more difficult.  Should we get excited by Free DLC that was meant to be there in the first place?

As far as I can see, if you bought the Season Pass you still have less actual content than the Wii version of Resident Evil 4, and that's before you start seeing people speedrunning the main game in 2 hours and Not a Hero in 20 minutes.

• 3 months later...

Late to the birthday party, but I finally played and finished this. And I loved it! In fact, this is easily my favourite Resi game now. Full disclosure: I always preferred 1 over 2 because of the setting and the atmosphere. Probably also because it was the first one I played and because it felt more horror and less actioney to me. 4 is brilliant but something completely different. So Resident Evil 7 turned out to be nothing less than the sequel to Resi 1 that I've been waiting for since 1996! And I had no idea, I skipped it on launch and I bought it ages ago in a sale. It's been sitting there, unplayed. And the start was exactly what I thought it would be, a bit walking sim-ey vr type stuff. But then all of a sudden it turned into Resi  1 in first-person! And it works brilliantly well, it feels the same despite the perspective change - even more immersive if anything - and I don't miss the tank controls at all. Loved it from start to finish and assuming that Capcom don't fuck up a good thing, I'll be there day one for Resi 8! If I had played this in 2017 it would have been way high on my GotY list. I didn't even realize I missed this kind of game so much, I thought I was a bit done with it - but as it turns out I had simply played too many inferior ones and what I needed was for the series to go back to its roots. And Capcom did it brilliantly, way better than could be realistically expected. Fantastic stuff.

Question: is any of the DLC worth it? Season pass worth going for?

I got the special edition with all of the DLC, and while its quite substantial in total im not sure if I will ever play all of them. Some of them are free as well, which may be enough for most people.

And I was late to the party as well, and only cleared it off my backlog earlier this year. Before that I played through REmake and Zero in an effort to play through all of the REs leading up to RE7 but I realised that would take me forever. The thing I noticed, in my subjective experience, is that what makes RE7 so great, and RE1 and RE2, is that they to a high degree are centered around idiosyncratic locales which take on a central character in the plot themselves. In RE1 there is 'The Mansion', in RE2 'The Police Station', in RE7 there is again the central Mansion locale from RE1. Ive loved all of the REs, never really experienced any backlash with any of the games, but I think RE7 resonated so well with the audience because the game once again was focussed much like the early REs on (mostly) around a central mansion hub, rather than the globetrotting, sprawling affairs of RE4 (arguable), RE5, and RE6. You can maybe see this decentralisation of the action already in RE3, but I have rather vague memories of that game.

Another thing with the REmake, is the appearance of Lisa in the cabin in the woods, which was not in the original game. Her character design and existence in the game makes a lot more sense after playing RE7, and I wonder if Capcom added her to the REmake in anticipation of RE7? Maybe I am overthinking stuff.

I have played through the game on Normal once, at around 12 hours, and as far as I understand the game is designed to be played through at least 2 or 3 more times after that; first on Easy for the speed run to unlock some more items, and then 1 or 2 runs on harder difficulties with the defense items and better weaponry, and there is also something to finding all of the mr. everywheres and other secrets along the way.