Nespresso

31 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Has anyone done the boss in the cage area

Hide contents

chainsaw guy?

How long did it take you? 

I'm in a bit where

Hide contents

there are loads of hornet things, i assume i need to find something to use in the light to create the spider, but am stuck

The first bit 3-4 attempts I think

The later - how much help do you want?

Boss chat spoilers - not where you are now

I assumed kicking the things into him would make more vulnerable but seemed easier to just shot gunning.

Blocking was very important for me with chainsaw.

He basically only has 2 attacks - sidestep, cut twice and back off/block

First hour in and god... this is one spooky videogame. The atmosphere is nail-bitingly intense. It's like they started off with the final bit of Condemned which itself was just loads of ultimate Nope™. Already had one moment where I got so spooked I threw my arms up in the air and my fuckin' character in-game did the same thing! It actually got me an achievement. :lol:

My expectations for this were very low but so far it's been really, really good (very reminiscent of Resi 1 even). Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

15 minutes ago, VN1X said:

First hour in and god... this is one spooky videogame. The atmosphere is nail-bitingly intense. It's like they started off with the final bit of Condemned which itself was just loads of ultimate Nope™. Already had one moment where I got so spooked I threw my arms up in the air and my fuckin' character in-game did the same thing! It actually got me an achievement. :lol:

My expectations for this were very low but so far it's been really, really good (very reminiscent of Resi 1 even). Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Yeah it totally nails that original resident evil feeling, much more than I was actually expecting.

Sneaking around, peaking around corners and cowering up a corner in fear for your life have already elevated this to my favourite VR experience.

My day 1 thoughts. Playing on a PS4 Pro in VR

Graphics.

I'm impressed. Very impressed. Some whiffy textures occasionally but the entire thing taken as a whole looks amazing. Really atmospheric. Nice hand crafted atmosphere.

There's some nice touches obviously put in to reduce the chance of getting sick. Lots of control options (Stepped turning if smooth is too much. Instant crouch etc). If the game is going to take control away from you it does a very quick fade to black before it does so. If you drop off a high spot your view constricts while it's happening. It's obvious they've put a lot of thought into it. I didn't have any luck with smooth turning in The Assembly but here I've been completely fine which is a good sign.

Audio in VR is a joy. In a crawlspace under the house and I can hear exactly where cunt face is stomping around above me.

The game. Surprisingly it's not scaring me in the slightest. Even the jump scares. There's one bit at the game where there's a dinner table and

The dad shoves a knife in your mouth. In VR it's offset so it feels like it's going in just under your left eye. That was disturbing

I've watched a few people play the first hour or so and there's certainly different ways things can go. It all leads to the same place but some stuff doesn't have to happen and some stuff can definitely happen in different ways (Like the garage).

For me the

opening bits with Mia

shit me right up. 

Also some lovely little details .. like the old woman at the kitchen table. Just assumed she was dead but if you look closely at her you can see her breathing faintly, then as you walk around the room her head gradually turns towards you. 

The whole thing already feels much more like a Resi game than 5 or 6 did.. despite being fixed to the first person view.

I love this game - but am I right in thinking it's been made on the cheap?

I've seeing lots and lots of reused assets (that TV/entertainment/speaker case is in about 4 different rooms in the house, and anywhere kid related has one of those giant stuffed crocs [which I watch like a hawk! :D])

7 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I love this game - but am I right in thinking it's been made on the cheap?

I've seeing lots and lots of reused assets (that TV/entertainment/speaker case is in about 4 different rooms in the house, and anywhere kid related has one of those giant stuffed crocs [which I watch like a hawk! :D])

It's got a much smaller budget than any of the previous Resi games from what i understand, although it's probably because the VR aspect took up a lot of that budget. Seems like it was worth it.

At the end of the day though, re used assets don't bother me too much. 

It's also definitely a game that seems to have been made for twitch/youtube live streams. 

On other news, i resorted to watching a small clip of a RE7 playthrough to figure out where to go next. can't believe i missed a area (although to be fair it is hidden and you have to duck to get under there).

I just wish my GTX1080 didn't die because the AMD 460 i borrowed struggles with this at times.

Some VERY quick (some might say too quick) DLC coming to PS4

Banned Footage Vol.1 next Tuesday and another to follow on 14th Feb. $10 and $15 respectively, UK prices tbc. 

Sounds to me like it's more found footage video stuff which I'm not sure appeals right now but I'm a long way from finishing. 

1 minute ago, sir shrew said:

As a Resi fan from 1-4, but who hated Revelations, 5 and 6... Is this a further departure or a return to form?

From what I have played, it definatly feels more like the original Resident evil. Very tense, sparse ammo and health.... you even have to pick locks!

Definitely more low key than the past few games and much better because of it.

edit! OH i think i have PTSD. I just heard a chainsaw outside of the building which freaked me out a bit...

the chainsaw boss really kicked my arse several times

2 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

As a Resi fan from 1-4, but who hated Revelations, 5 and 6... Is this a further departure or a return to form?

Defiitely more in common with 1-4 than 5 or 6. Feels like a first person version of the original than anything else. It's really really good. 

2 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

As a Resi fan from 1-4, but who hated Revelations and gave up on the series after 5 and 6... Is this a further departure or a return to form?

It feels like RE1, updated for modern times and from First Person.

The opening goes on for longer with unease and oppressive fear, but you'll get weapons later and combat encounters (with limited bullets and shotgun shells are like gold dust) later for fights that feel like RE1 - anything is dangerous and you're ill equipped to fight.

I went into a boss fight with 4 weapons (including 2 that felt "big" and I barely lived and had minor handgun ammo left at the end)..

It's definitely nothing like 4-6 or Revelations (about 6-7 hours in)

If you like RE1-4 (particularly 1) I can only see you disliking this if you think it's too slow/tense at the start as it's about exploring/surviving rather than fighting (Even RE1 has you shooting stuff about 15 minutes in...in this it's nearer an hour)

Fuck, suddenly I've got an urge to play this even though I know i'll NOPE out after an hour or two (if I make it that far). This holds up outside of VR, right? I've skimmed the last few pages for some impressions (I want to go in blind) and it mostly seems to be chat about how good it is on VR.

Also, boring talk: is the PC port good?

8 minutes ago, Radish said:

Fuck, suddenly I've got an urge to play this even though I know i'll NOPE out after an hour or two (if I make it that far). This holds up outside of VR, right? I've skimmed the last few pages for some impressions (I want to go in blind) and it mostly seems to be chat about how good it is on VR.

I've not got VR.  

I played the Demo on VR at a friends house. It was fine - surround sound mattered more than the visuals (I thought you could see jaggies/lines/something on demo graphics) but my sound bar is fine with it.

I have no interest in VR and this game doesn't change that. It works brilliantly as is.

The "only" thing I've seen mentioned in VR is leaning round corners - I've not worked out how to do that on a pad.

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

The "only" thing I've seen mentioned in VR is leaning round corners - I've not worked out how to do that on a pad.

Yeah I couldn't figure that out either, would have helped several times.

15 minutes ago, Radish said:

PC port seems fine.

30 minutes ago, Radish said:

Playing it on my ageing rig and it runs amazingly well. There's a lot of settings you can tinker with and I've got most set on high. My fps ranges from 60 to 160. 

The chromatic aberration is scary as fuck though so I turned that off. 

7 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I'm playing on Xbox  and I can't go forward more than a few steps without rechecking my surroundings out of fear.

Make of that what you will.

It's the sound.

Never mind that Ethan makes a fucking shit ton of noise himself that you can mistake for someone sneaking up behind you (I hear someone walking!...Oh it's me). There's so much incidental stuff (wind, branches knocking on window, enemies walking,...."wet" sounds in certain areas, hooks/chains dangling...piano's going off...sometimes doors close automatically behind you, others don't).

It's using a lot of very obvious tricks very very very effectively.

I've watched a stream of the first hour and it's absolutely brutal. It's Texas Chainsaw Massacre the game. As someone massively into Condemned, and the new wave of horror games (Outlast, Alien Isolation, SOMA etc) this is right up my street. Will be getting the Xbox One version once it drops in price a little, I'm also very jealous of those able to play it in VR. That must be immense. 

As a psvr owner who played the demo in vr, I seriously envy anybody who can derive enjoyment from this experience.

It is clearly the closest thing to AAA VR yet. unfortunately, for me the demo was just unpleasant and not enjoyable at all.

Makes me wonder what it feels like for those who find playing it in vr enjoyable, as opposed to just stressful as I did.

Do they just feel the extremely mild thrill I would get from something like Alan Wake or the old resident evil games ?

Or do they play their vr games in the company of others at home, as opposed to isolated in their mancave like I do.