rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - Making Zombies Creepy Again

I'm starting to regret selling my PSVR, as it sounds like it really does take the game from good to great. Mind, I don't know if I could have played 10 hours of horror in VR.

Most of the reviews seem to be echoing the early impressions - strong first half, weaker second half. Looking forward to giving it a shot tomorrow though. I hope the risk pays off, the franchise's reputation has seriously dropped since 6 and they need this to restore some of that shine again.

That’s why Resi 7 is not just one of the year’s best games, already, but one that quietly rewrites the fundamentals of a firstperson action experience.

I understand what he means but that's a bit of a weird thing to say as it's literally impossible to say that with any accuracy in January. 

Apart from Eurogamer and IGN everyone seems surprisingly positive about it though so I'm looking forward to trying it... when I don't have a ton of other games still to play, mostly from last year. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still torn on what to give this for the mag. On the one hand it's an astonishing VR experience, but it loses so much impact when played in traditional 2d and I feel the new enemies are quite weak. It has great boss encounters, lots of lovely nods to the earlier games and is polished to hell, but it doesn't feel like it's going to reinvent the genre like 4 did. I do love how it becomes more and more like a proper Resi game as you progress through it, mind.

It's a great game either way, and an unmissable game if you have access to VR. Good to see it's getting strong scores.

35 minutes ago, Radish said:

I understand what he means but that's a bit of a weird thing to say as it's literally impossible to say that with any accuracy in January. 

While it's impossible to predict where gaming will go in 2017, there's a lot of things to back up such a statement. RE7 isn't simply a first person horror game, or a first person game for that matter, it does it in quite a stylistic way. It's really hard to describe but in most first person games, you look through a camera that's almost always perfectly still and always the same height from the ground. Some games have head bob and camera shakes whenever something dramatic happens, but RE7's camera feels more like you're looking through the eyes of an actual person. The effects are very subtle but all the better for it and it makes for a much more immersive perspective than the bog standard camera on a stick perspective. I've played nothing quite like it. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, strider said:

I'm still torn on what to give this for the mag. On the one hand it's an astonishing VR experience, but it loses so much impact when played in traditional 2d and I feel the new enemies are quite weak. It has great boss encounters, lots of lovely nods to the earlier games and is polished to hell, but it doesn't feel like it's going to reinvent the genre like 4 did. I do love how it becomes more and more like a proper Resi game as you progress through it, mind.

It's a great game either way, and an unmissable game if you have access to VR. Good to see it's getting strong scores.

I read someone, somewhere who summed up his review along these lines: "...based on playing on a 1080p telly, this is a solid 8/10 game, with PSVR (especially if you can run it on the PS4 Pro) it's a 10/10 experience so I guess I need to give it a 9/10 to be somewhat fair, don't I? Well yeah, this is a 9/10 game"

One of the things that's so great about classics like REmake and RE4 is their replay value. I lost count on how many times I've went through both over the years.

I'd be surprised if 7 has that same replay value but I'm still very much looking forward to sinking my teeth into it - even though only in non-VR on the PC.

49 minutes ago, Rayn said:

While it's impossible to predict where gaming will go in 2017, there's a lot of things to back up such a statement. RE7 isn't simply a first person horror game, or a first person game for that matter, it does it in quite a stylistic way. It's really hard to describe but in most first person games, you look through a camera that's almost always perfectly still and always the same height from the ground. Some games have head bob and camera shakes whenever something dramatic happens, but RE7's camera feels more like you're looking through the eyes of an actual person. The effects are very subtle but all the better for it and it makes for a much more immersive perspective than the bog standard camera on a stick perspective. I've played nothing quite like it. 

This is what hit me about the demo. Even simple stuff in VR like walking up and down stairs just felt..right!

Delighted to see all the positive reviews, hopefully it will pave the way for more PSVR support too.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, U-1 said:

This is what hit me about the demo. Even simple stuff in VR like walking up and down stairs just felt..right!

Delighted to see all the positive reviews, hopefully it will pave the way for more PSVR support too.

stop making me jelous of the VR :( ah well i have tomorrow off work and shall be playing the pc version..

48 minutes ago, Reynard said:

What's the best way of getting this now, then?  Getting some top-up from CD Keys and downloading from PSN?

Having had a look around, looks like just going to a late-night supermarket would be better value than PSN (even after factoring in CD Keys-bought credit).

The PC demo ran pretty badly for me, bad enough that I'll probably pick up the PS4 version instead,  although not for a few weeks. Seems a better game for the sofa and a big TV too.. 

Glad to read that it seems to have delivered on the promise of the demo. 

1 minute ago, Reynard said:

Having had a look around, looks like just going to a late-night supermarket would be better value than PSN (even after factoring in CD Keys-bought credit).

Are supermarket prices listed anywhere then?

I haven't pre-ordered but want this tomorrow so interested to know what actual shops will be charging. 

2 minutes ago, Reynard said:

After the 5% FB discount, £50 credit at CDKeys will cost £43.69. It's £42 on a Tesco pre-order (in fact, that's about the cheapest price you'll get anywhere), although that doesn't reflect the price in store. I reckon when you factor petrol costs in - assuming you don't walk - there's not going to be much in it, apart from loss of resale value.

I think you're looking at around £42-£45 at the supermarkets.  Tesco is £42.

If I bought 2x £35 PSN credit from CD Keys for £63.78, I'd save just over six quid.  However, the digital game is £50.

@Gorf King I'm not on FB and I'm *assuming* the Tesco pre-order price of £42 would be the in-store price.  I would have to drive there, though.

2 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

After the 5% FB discount, £50 credit at CDKeys will cost £43.69. It's £42 on a Tesco pre-order (in fact, that's about the cheapest price you'll get anywhere), although that doesn't reflect the price in store. I reckon when you factor petrol costs in - assuming you don't walk - there's not going to be much in it, apart from loss of resale value.

And it's fucking freezing out.

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Nope.

I was totally expecting a 'yep' at the end there.

I assume that I could just create any old FB profile to 'like' CD Keys?  How does it work?

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Sorry. It's no. Even without the whole me being pansy-arsed motherfucker, I didn't like the way it moved, and I tried both normal and the angles. Normal FP movement made me feel very wonky very quickly.  The angles all seemed to be wrong, sending me into walls so that I had to zig zag along corridors. Also, perhaps it's just the case of the demo, but I don't think that took advantage of the PS4 Pro. It looked pretty rough. 

Movement sounds like a calibration issue to me

30 minutes ago, U-1 said:

It translates well to traditional gaming without VR as well. In fact, I've been thinking about this all evening now and I think this is actually the first game in the history of video games I want to call a first person game, it actually nails the person aspect.

So this is probably what RE7 will be remebered for:

The first proper big budget VR experiense but more importantly, the game that actually defined what first person perspective should actually look/feel/behave like. 

• Upvote 1

It says in the Eurogamer review that someone who worked on FEAR and Condemned worked on this also. Those two games did first person very well too so I'm really interested in it now.