rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

I'm looking forward to some more forum first impressions on the full game! I'm really not sold on this just because the setting is soooo cliched now. The monsters are the most boring and uninspired black alien smoke things you could think of. The game structure/design has been done to death in Bioshock, Deus Ex, Dishonoured and more. It's just sooo generic sci-fi adventure.

The only things that are catching my attention so far are the aliens which morph into objects which is a neat idea, and the gameplay implications of the gloop and freeze guns. I also never really liked Dishonored (though I love System Shock/Bioshock) so I'm really not very hyped.

Eurogamer did a good article about the original Prey, which it turns out did have some cool ideas. It's these kind of ideas that might be the new Prey's saving grace - fingers crossed!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-30-prey-was-a-flawed-fps-with-ideas-worth-remembering

@Gizamaluke

I'm incredibly wary of any review out already. They're either one of the "influencers" that Bethesda apparently feel their policy of everyone playing it at the same time doesn't apply to or they've rushed the review out in less than 24 hours since release. 

• Upvote 3

That worthabuy guy is pretty funny. His Immortal Redneck review just had me properly laughing.

Shows what you can do with game reviews if you have a dry sense of humour and a bit of character. I'm so utterly bored of worthy Gamespot style reviews read from some self serious bland check shirted douchebag.

I subbed

@HarryBizzle

That's fair enough. I don't think either of those reviews come across as disingenuous though. In fact, the ACG guy often criticises mainstream reviews so it would be the ultimate self sabotage if he was found out to be reviewing with bias.

Very positive steam reviews too FWIW.

Honestly if you're looking for something a bit system shocky or bioshocky or half lifey or dishonoredy you should jump in. They got u fam.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

@HarryBizzle

That's fair enough. I don't think either of those reviews come across as disingenuous though. In fact, the ACG guy often criticises mainstream reviews so it would be the ultimate self sabotage if he was found out to be reviewing with bias.

Out of interest, do either of them clarify whether they got it early/how?

I'll probably end up getting this on PC. 

I just got the Pc version for 28 quid of CD keys. Arkanes stuff is top notch and apparently the PC version isn't a piss poor port like dishonoured 2 was. Also 20 hours long! Yes please!

From the Arkane B team from what I gather. It absolutely reeks of Bioshock and System Shock, and the fact Bioshock is nearly ten years old blows my fuckin' mind. 

Spoiler

Spoilerific maybe, but playing with headphones reveals a subtle ping as to the mimic's location. 

I really want to like this but man is that some of the most flattest lighting I have ever seen. Where is the contrast? Is this an art issue or an engine one? 

I remember Shawn Elliott was on a podcast complaining about how games remove control from a player in certain situations because they can't handle you breaking their story. The example he gave was not being able to steal something from certain NPCs and have them turn against you in Dying Light - you had to go through the awful rigmarole of serving them. In the cutscenes they either totally remove control from you or you can't use certain moves/skills which would cause you to break the game. Obviously the reason for this is they don't want you circumventing 5 hours of painstakingly made story and dialogue and catering to your bizarro path would be prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, he's a level designer at Arkane now.

7K3JZRO.jpg

z376STz.jpg

So that's me far more interested in playing this.

• Upvote 4

Yeah it's sounding like one to really get stuck into, but that demo was clearly a mistake, as was the decision to withhold review code. What this game needed was reviews at launch from people who'd already lived with the game for a few weeks. Bizarre decisions from, I'm guessing, the publisher, and potentially damaging.

@HarryBizzleYep, I played this for a few hours last night and, while I've not killed any friendlies for fun, it's immediately apparent that this is a game which will allow for significant sequence breaking courtesy of the different skills and tools you can acquire. To go back to my demo comments; at that point I felt like this was a blend of System Shock 2 and Dishonored; after more play it feels more like a combination System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yeah it's sounding like one to really get stuck into, but that demo was clearly a mistake, as was the decision to withhold review code. What this game needed was reviews at launch from people who'd already lived with the game for a few weeks. Bizarre decisions from, I'm guessing, the publisher, and potentially damaging.

Well, Bethesda said a while ago that they weren't giving out press copies of any of their games anymore which smacks more of throwing rattles out of the pram than anything else. As for the demos - god knows what's going on with this at the moment though. Look at the ME:Andromeda demo - roundly panned, but actually the games pretty fantastic.

Don't get it at all. 

Just now, JoeK said:

Well, Bethesda said a while ago that they weren't giving out press copies of any of their games anymore which smacks more of throwing rattles out of the pram than anything else. As for the demos - god knows what's going on with this at the moment though. Look at the ME:Andromeda demo - roundly panned, but actually the games pretty fantastic.

Don't get it at all. 

It's strange isn't it, especially considering that, on the whole, Bethesda release good quality games that review very well.

4 hours ago, Wiper said:

@HarryBizzleYep, I played this for a few hours last night and, while I've not killed any friendlies for fun, it's immediately apparent that this is a game which will allow for significant sequence breaking courtesy of the different skills and tools you can acquire. To go back to my demo comments; at that point I felt like this was a blend of System Shock 2 and Dishonored; after more play it feels more like a combination System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. 

Goddamnit Wiper. Goddamnit. I had already decided to skip this game and then you have to go and say a thing like that.

• Upvote 2

I wasn't going to get involved in this. I tried the PS4 demo and it felt wrong. Now you guys are telling me it's a bit System Shocky and it's 28 quid on CDKeys and will be downloaded in less than an hour.

Bastards.

As expected, this is excellent so far (been messing around in the hardware labs).  I've never played System Shock, but fans of Bioshock, Dishonored  and Deus Ex will surely not be disappointed.  

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Goddamnit Wiper. Goddamnit. I had already decided to skip this game and then you have to go and say a thing like that.

I really really wouldn't. He's not wrong.

Also, Excrutiator is a much better name....