rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

3 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

If you like Deus Ex and Half-Life 2, you're going to love this game. :D

I'm so conflicted right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I'm so conflicted right now.

It's like the best bits of Bioshock, Dead Space, Half-Life, and Deus Ex.

Jesus Christ, you can't trust anything. Walking around the level, and any object could be a Mimic. The sound plays a big part of this. 

If you loved the world of Bioshock, you're gonna love this game. It looks stunning. It's got lovely touches like the way an email is selected.

• Upvote 2

That does sound pretty tasty - I like Arkane's work generally, and their take on the System Shock template, swapping in a focus on tension as an empowered protagonist facing hidden foes, rather than subjecting the player to the sheer terror of being a weak protagonist against innumerable, horrific enemies, sounds very tempting. I'll definitely be trying the demo when I get time this weekend.

Not sure what to make of this. It definitely has some nice presentation and great atmosphere and wastes no time getting into the creepiness and mystery.. However it just feels really awkward to control* and the melee combat seems genuinely awful. Clunky, sluggish 'swing at the fast thing and hope you hit it' nonsense. Really loud, annoying music while you are wildly flailing at the enemies too.

I might be missing something. 

*Dishonored 2 had a similar problem on console, it's like Arkane don't know how to do pad controls. 

• Upvote 2

I'd agree with @deerokus, my feelings exactly. There's some nice ideas and artdirection in this but the combat was just windmilling at enemies that are very lame.

Huge fan of Arkane's games though though so will see how the game progresses past this early section.

I found also in the demo that certain bits wouldn't trigger for ages for some reason, ie getting in the main lobby area.

Was looking forward to trying this tonight on the PC but no joy, is there reason as to why there is no PC demo? There's no danger of trying this tonight on the PS4 as the missus has gotten herself addicted to RuPaul's Drag Race on the main telly. :( Fuck my life!

• Upvote 1

Agree with the technical issues above but also didn't think it did anything particularly interesting. If you like BioShock and Deus Ex is right, except it's if you liked them and don't mind playing them again.

I liked the original Prey from what I remember. Sadly, this isn't for me.

Alec Meer did make it sound like the opening of the game isn't the best showcase for it, with later gameplay far more interesting (and far more Arkane-y). It does sound a little like we may have yet another game that would have benefitted from a demo that wasn't just a slice of an underwhelming opening (hi Mass Effect Andromeda, hi Mirror's Edge Catalyst).

Still need to play the demo myself, so who knows, I may like it anyway, but might be worth keeping in mind.

I wouldn't say the section itself is underwhelming, it's maybe a bit unoriginal but it definitely sets everything up quickly and strongly and creates a good atmosphere. I want to see more of it. It's other aspects that disappointed me a bit. 

I read that they have said there's an input lag issue that will be fixed for release.  That might go a long way to explaining the awkward movement and very crummy-feeling combat. 

(Although they had the exact same thing on console version of D2 and it wasn't fixed afaik, I had to trade it in as it was pretty unpleasant to play). 

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Alec Meer did make it sound like the opening of the game isn't the best showcase for it, with later gameplay far more interesting (and far more Arkane-y). It does sound a little like we may have yet another game that would have benefitted from a demo that wasn't just a slice of an underwhelming opening (hi Mass Effect Andromeda, hi Mirror's Edge Catalyst).

Still need to play the demo myself, so who knows, I may like it anyway, but might be worth keeping in mind.

Clearly this is the way to go...vaguely dull opening given out for demo, lots of moaning ensues which slowly turns to adoration.

Games developers are sadomasochists.

Hmmm. Not feeling it. Wasn't really sure what to do in the end as I came across some bigger foes in the trauma centre that kept killing me. The smaller enemies are just the black spider crabs from HL2 but really annoying to try and fight with a wrench. I also wasn't sure if I could use stealth or how enemies detect my presence. Ultimately it just felt like a mish mash of games with gameplay harking back to the 90's, and really dated. I don't think it looks great either. It lacks the atmosphere and dread of Alien Isolation or SOMA. Based on the demo I wouldn't buy it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I'm still very much in after playing the demo.  In fact I'll likely replay it tonight.  I don't see too much wrong at all with the controls etc (given you can reduce or eliminate entirely the noisy background music).  Input lag seems to be an issue on the PS4 and not the Bone, and that glorious power slide is back.  

And one of the books in the apartment was by Antoinette Sokol :sherlock:

For me it will always be weird whenever someone accuses a game of ripping off Bioshock... Since to me Bioshock is a heavily simplified and watered down (figuratively and literally) imitation of System Shock.

Looking forward to trying out this demo myself, but going in with low expectations after reading these comments. 

• Upvote 4

It seems a little more system shock than bioshock but definitely a bit of both, and the latter is the better known game of course.  

Regardless, it's a style of game which is getting really long in the tooth and relies too heavily on conventions established 20+ years ago. I don't know if I can play another game where the story is delivered by a disembodied voice on a walkie talkie ordering me about and by going around picking up hunners of books and audio logs. I even sighed a little when I opened up the skill tree. 

System Shock 2 probably controls better. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

to me Bioshock is a heavily simplified and watered down (figuratively and literally) imitation of System Shock. 

I think my favourite, repeat take on the game so far has been that "it's Bioshock, but in space!!!"

I weep for the state of games journalism. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Don't really know what to make of this (ps4 demo)  - clunky controls, poor frame rate/

,  hard to hit anything (with the first few weapons), and the graphics are a bit rubbish (it's a bit like an early Xbox 360 game). But, i kept playing - it quit stylish (love that helecopter intro), nice music and sfx and a fairly interesting premise. Technically it's straight out of 2006 though. I really hope it wasn't already pro patched.

With everything else to play this year, I'll be almost relieved if this turns out to be pap, although I'd be surprised as it definitely looked interesting from the previews I've read. I'm not sure I could ever see the 'Turn yourself into a paperclip to avoid enemies!' thing working, however.

7 hours ago, Wiper said:

I think my favourite, repeat take on the game so far has been that "it's Bioshock, but in space!!!"

I weep for the state of games journalism. 

It does seem a lot like Bioshock though, that's just how popular culture works. In the same way that all survival horror games are compared with Resident Evil and not Alone in The Dark.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think the graphics were that bad, but the framerate is appalling. The whole thing feels like it is chugging. I was interested until I played the demo.