Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

It's a good game, but the enemies are a bit rubbish. The mimics are a bit hazy and indistinct, and the machine enemies are basically little filing cabinets with propellers on top. For a game that's supposed to be the spiritual sequel to System Shock, nothing even comes close to how scary and intimidating the enemies were in those games. The [spoiler] enemy is pretty cool, admittedly.

26 minutes ago, K said:

It's a good game, but the enemies are a bit rubbish. The mimics are a bit hazy and indistinct, and the machine enemies are basically little filing cabinets with propellers on top. For a game that's supposed to be the spiritual sequel to System Shock, nothing even comes close to how scary and intimidating the enemies were in those games. The [spoiler] enemy is pretty cool, admittedly.

I actually got strong System Shock vibes from the machine enemies, being as they too are largely repurposed from benign robots and so look distinctly unthreatening; e.g the original's Serv-Bots:

image.png.f2b29501d69307de9d863dcdf6c4fa46.png

Which continue to look suitably dorky in the remake, like aggressive waste bins:

image.png.81135602c0f3cb2326928112f28442ae.png

Agreed generally that the enemies are a bit of a weak point in the game, though; in early stages when you're very weak then the simple threat of them is effective (and the mimic's, well, mimic ability is an effective tension builder), but it never goes in for the full horror vibes of SS1 and 2, and the enemies never become truly memorable. Though the shying away from true horror is just as well for me, really, seeing as I can no longer play SS2 due to sheer terror.

(don't tell my avatar I said that)

1 hour ago, tenrou said:

I'm currently trying to unblock an elevator.  I went hacking in system shock 2 and bioshock so I'm hacking again.  I just got a head camera.  Maybe 3 hours in?

Visit the main offices and you'll be golden.

Finally finished this, just north of 60 hours on the clock and loved pretty much every minute. Superb game.

I loved the zero grav bits although I can understand why some people wouldn't be keen. I was always a fan of Forsaken back in the good old days too and this reminded me of that a bit in the whole "trying to get my bearings in 3D space" thing.

Completed every side quest I could find apart from the RPG map one (because I couldn't be arsed working out where two of the numbers were) and the blackbox GUTS one. Might reload a save just to do them too for completion's sake. 

10/10. Would mimic again.

Always great to see this thread "up there" on the Discussion forum. This was one of my favourite and memorable single-player experiences of the last generation, such a shame it wasn't more successful - it really deserved to be. With my gaming backlog I doubt I'll get around to a second playthrough but if there's ever a re-release I wouldn't hesitate jumping in.

Yeah I started this a few days ago and it's wonderful stuff, pretty much a dream game for me. Awesome space station setting, thoughtful and interconnected level design, a heap of gamey systems which interweave as cleverly as Talos 1 does, and most importantly the whole thing is just dripping in atmosphere. It just scratches that 'space station horror game' itch so good. I don't think I'd describe this game as a 'shooter' so much even though it kind of is, what it really reminds me of is my childhood memories with Castlevania, Metroid, or even early Resi games. It's beautiful and you can tell it's made by a bunch of geeks who were surely just making what they wanted to play.

4 hours ago, Jamin said:

Always great to see this thread "up there" on the Discussion forum. This was one of my favourite and memorable single-player experiences of the last generation, such a shame it wasn't more successful - it really deserved to be. With my gaming backlog I doubt I'll get around to a second playthrough but if there's ever a re-release I wouldn't hesitate jumping in.

I'm definitely planning another run through some day going for all Typhon neuromods. I didn't touch them at all apart from the basic blast one.

Need to do the DLC at some point too which sounds intriguing.

Need a bit of a break from space for just now though, so I've gone back to Dishonored which I never completed when it was released.

• 5 months later...
On 11/01/2022 at 18:03, K said:

Yes, my exact feelings. Started playing this again recently, and the enemies are basically fart clouds and as intimidating as a duckling. For a game where there’s so much effort in the world building and environmental storytelling (and it’s one of the very best games for that), the enemies basically being black goop severely lets it down.