Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've just started this and loving it right from the get go. I mean, really loving it - I'm completely absorbed and finding it hard to quit each time I play despite real life factors forcing me to.  Why did none of you fuckers tell me this was System Shock 3 with a different title? :quote:

It's from Arkane Studios. That's a seal of quality right there. ;)

On 11/06/2018 at 09:48, Pob said:

Any suggestions of an X/Pro patch? Been holding off getting into this properly until its E3 showing. The DLC sounds like my kind of thing.

Just spotted this post and yeah it's now X-enhanced. Looks really sharp and detailed :wub: Was probably patched in alongside the new game + stuff and the expansion, but they could've made a bigger deal out of it. I was surprised to find it was an X-enhanced title when I started it up! Hadn't heard a single thing about it.

fan fucking tastic game too, haven't been this immersed in and gripped by a game in ages. 

Alien Isolation is one of the titles I'm planning on playing next, so I'm basically following @noob it seems :)

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just spotted this post and yeah it's now X-enhanced. Looks really sharp and detailed :wub: Was probably patched in alongside the new game + stuff and the expansion, but they could've made a bigger deal out of it. I was surprised to find it was an X-enhanced title when I started it up! Hadn't heard a single thing about it.

fan fucking tastic game too, haven't been this immersed in and gripped by a game in ages. 

Alien Isolation is one of the titles I'm planning on playing next, so I'm basically following @noob it seems :)

Prepare for your pants being blown off then. 

It's immense! 

Right... 

I'm back in. Found my way to the arboretum. 

Spoiler

I'm trying to find Alex's arming key. I've got into the safe already. Says something about him hiding until two people are dead?

Flummoxed... Any idea?

• 2 weeks later...

@noob follow the Dahl / shuttle sidequests. If you are still stuck, which I hope not!

I finished this yesterday. 55 hours on the clock because I really, really enjoyed exploring the environment and uncovering all the story bits. Fantastic game, it really clicked with me and it's easily my favourite Shock/Deus-like experience since System Shock 2. I was completely obsessed with it in the past week, one of those increasingly rare games (as I get older and more cynical/jaded) which had me constantly thinking about playing it whenever I wasn't playing it. As far as I'm concerned, Prey is by far the best thing Arkane has done so far and I'm now a fan. Loved it!

• 2 weeks later...

Through the Arboretum now for me and Crew Quarters next (poltergeist... eek!). It really is absolutely outstandingly good. And fully agree with you @Mr. Gerbik that it's the best thing Arkane have done. 

Arboretum is beautiful as well with the sun shifting all around it and causing shadows to move. 

And the music and sfx are just so so good and set the tone and atmosphere wonderfully. Love it.

I've not touched any of the psi mods/skills yet as don't appeal, yet. Do I need to?

• 3 months later...

Do it, its worth it.

I see I didn't come back and comment after finishing it (utterly brilliant and imo best thing Arkane have done) but I do have a question for those who did:

Spoiler

One of the logs you find mentions a shuttle on it's way to the station which picks up a distress beacon or sees another shuttle in distress (forget which). It goes over to it and then briefly glimpses a completely dark/camouflaged station (a Typhon copy of the main one maybe?!) followed by being warned off by some 'police' immediately. They continue on and nothing is ever mentioned about it again, or that I could find.

WTF was that all about?

3 minutes ago, Len said:

Do it, its worth it.

I see I didn't come back and comment after finishing it (utterly brilliant and imo best thing Arkane have done) but I do have a question for those who did:

Hide contents

One of the logs you find mentions a shuttle on it's way to the station which picks up a distress beacon or sees another shuttle in distress (forget which). It goes over to it and then briefly glimpses a completely dark/camouflaged station (a Typhon copy of the main one maybe?!) followed by being warned off by some 'police' immediately. They continue on and nothing is ever mentioned about it again, or that I could find.

WTF was that all about?

It's been a while since I played it - but isn't it hinted at several times there's a second base (military?) on the moon? 

There's also logs that mentions some trips from Talos to the service are taking longer - almost like they're stopping somewhere on the way

I assumed Mooncrash is about that

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say wise fwom your gwave but not that long ago people were posting.

just played this through for the 2nd time and damn is it an amazing game. everything i'd want from a system shock but better in every way.

this and system shock 2 are my favourite games ever and i never thought i'd see one for system shock, let alone one called prey

Ha, I just played through this for the second time too, finished last night!

Picked it up again because Mooncrash was on sale, haven't got very far with that yet, but liked the mechanical improvements and saw they were available for NewGame+, so went through it on Hard with the new status effects and oxygen limitations (no weapon degradation because I hate that). The sound effects on the broken leg Trauma are disguising, wet crunching sounds and painful whimpering when you jump or crouch.

You're pretty fragile in a fight with multiple foes, but with the upgrades from the previous playthrough it feels pretty fair and you get to explore the powers a lot more. I found I'd missed a lot from my first playthrough, I also encountered the cargo bay survivors in the Power Plant where you killed Dahl as an armed posse.

I get the feeling the moon levels were meant to part of the main game but were cut for time reasons, makes me understand why the end feels so rushed.

as for the newgame+ additions, it felt like a more compltete game for it once they were added. even on the hardest difficultly, the game felt to easy once you'd got to the point you could manufacture your own neuromods. resources were a breeze. The only other game that puts me on the same kind of edge as this for single player was Battlefleet Gothic, just constantly thinking about what your doing all the time. Fantastic game!

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2018 at 08:47, Len said:

Ooh, I might have to join you even though not so keen on roguelikes but the game is just so damn good. 

I think roguelike is the wrong word, the level remains the same but item placements can change. its very much worth it

• 1 month later...

Wow at this game. Had it for maybe a year sat on the PS4 HDD and finally got around to ticking it off my huge backlog. It's fucking amazing. Extremely tense gameplay, intriguing story and I love the multiple ways to go about things. It's the first game since God of War that I've actually wanted to jump up early and continue playing (or go beyond my beddybows time to continue playing). I know that those in the know highly rate the game but it's such a shame it didn't do the numbers it deserved.

Noted that people have compared it to System Shock. I've never played System Shock but have seen a few liken it to Bioshock as well which I've finished, plus both of its sequels, it's a much smarter game than Bioshock in my opinion. Will probably add System Shock to my backlog (GOG?) if it has things in common with this because at the rate I'm playing it'll be over soon and I'll still be craving more of its gameplay mechanics. Is the DLC more of the same? I hope so.

The DLC is pretty different, but in a good way - it takes many of the strengths of the core game (tension, sandbox problem solving), and swaps the story driver for one of challenge/progression, as you struggle to rescue everyone in a single run. Absolutely worth getting.

As for System Shock... Much as I love it, the original is so old that it's very hard to go back to. There is a remake on the horizon, however, which is worth looking out for.

Shock 2 has aged more gracefully, and is fantastic - it's a bit more horror-y than Prey, and somewhat less freeform, but well worth playing and seeing how its influence lingers, in different ways, in both Prey and Bioshock.

Thanks Wiper. Will buy the DLC immediately. As for the Shocks, I'll see how satiated I am after the DLC and may hang fire for the remake if good things are expected. Oh and I forgot to mention the sound in this, it can be slightly janky technically, sounds can sometimes just stop once you step over a doorway etc but my god does it make up for it with its samples and its take on things. I knew I was in for some good audio after you go through the looking glass, literally and figuratively and some weird garbled shit is playing around the Helicopter. It only gets better/freakier the more you play. Great stuff on a nice set of cans and the lights off.

In the end, despite picking up the game again for Mooncrash I bounced off that DLC a bit. It's really cleverly designed, but perhaps a bit too complex for its own good.

The idea of multiple characters with unique abilities who have to escape in sequence, and using certain escape methods means they're off-limits for the others (i.e. escape with the shuttle and it's gone), and the way that the order is user-selectable so you can set up and try different strategies, and the way there's an inherent risk/reward in picking the place clean of supplies makes surviving easier but means there's nothing there for later characters and so on - all good stuff.

But then the simulation degradation stuff adding an across-character time pressure on that where everything gets harder and the enemies get upgraded just felt like a bit too much. Fine as an optional difficulty mode maybe, but too stressful for me.

Oh man, my love affair intensifies. I have played this now for over 20 hours but because I'm loving it so much I'm being very meticulous with every area. I'm looking for every possible ledge, every obstructed opening, every piece of frayed wire etc. So I'm pretty sure I still have a way to go. Now I know this is probably a well known mechanic but it blew my head off when I twigged. I was looking through the window of an office which had a locked door and obviously I had no key card. As I looked through the window I noticed a computer screen, I couldn't make out the actual words but could see the touch boxes around them that defined their input. Epiphany. I smash the window then pull out the dart gun and after 10 trial and error shots toward the screen I have the door unlocked. I thought I was a freaking genius. Turns out it's actually mentioned in the menu, but man this game feels so completely freeform. I know it's an illusion but it's a fucking clever one. Love it. 

Edit.

Hmm January just sounded a little familiar in one of his calls, a bit Sunshine if you know what I mean, I'm probably Wong but was definitely a little (Dr) strange. Paranoia creeping in. What month to trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked this up because I saw a vid hyping Mooncrash to be the best thing ever and... I don't know because I'm having a stupid amount of fun with the main campaign and don't want to skip it. This is a brilliant game, hard but brilliant. The environment's ace, the amount of quirky little things you can do is amazing - must have speant 2 hours just in the opening area, leaping across beams and trying to find secrets. Combat feels a bit off sometimes but atleast the enemies are a genuine force to be reckoned with.

This feels like what I'd expect from Half Life 3, I'm very impressed! :)