Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

Did the Cargo Bay stand off

Pretty tense - mainly because NPC allies decided to rush the door and get shot by turrets...managed to keep them all alive though

Some dick's then all "I heard you went to Crew Quarters? How about going again to pick up my McGuffin?" Fuck you random guy. I've been to crew quarters! I don't want to go again! They'll be pick scary monsters there now...but then again Psishock and upgraded shotgun is melting things...

Plot spec/spoilers

Another cutscene where I'm being experiment on/trying to implant memories...

Do I die at the end of the game...but Alex tries to implant his brother into someone else (a Typhon?) and I'm reliving up to my death?

Had a bug where an NPC disappeared (Dr Igwa?). He was in the area - but then later on another NPC had a conversation with him and he'd gone - I just got her bits.

And done. Last 2-3 hours fell off a cliff :(

Did a great job of telling an engaging story will notes, logs building up a huge cast of interacting characters (you get to know dozens across the station). Just that last bit is a HUGE slog though

Ending and Unanswered questions (from throughout game) spoilers

Combat Operators can fuck off. Completely ruined the pace of the game (run everywhere now, FocusTime and QBeam when you need to fight, quickly block up manufacturers.

Chose the mindchuff Dahl and save everyone. Was generally good throughout.

Then went with Nullwave option. They're might be people left on station...didn't really like keeping Transtar tech around giving how Neuromods were made (and the board seem to be total dicks)...I'm not sure I want that still around. Blowing it up seemed like the wrong call.

I didn't see the simulation ending coming - even with the silly dream hints. I assumed they were flashbacks, not..."realtime". I guessed I was a Tyhpon earlier (for no other reason than it was mentioned once, and seemed obvious if you were expecting a "twist". I was empathic (like the most empathic ever) - was tempted to kill them all though. Mainly Alex. But went peacefully.

• Was it ever explained how Morgan escaped at the start? I'm sure someone said it was because blank mods were given to him the day before (which would tie in with the reaction to your failed tests) but who/why?
  • What was up with the shuttles? A couple mentioned shadowed by military, and that volunteer (but not VIP) shuttles took a 12 minute detour (to another stop off?)
  • The "volunteers" they had neuromods tested on them, but mostly where just fed to Mimics/Weavers to make more exotic material right?
  • How did the Typhon escape? Or were they always free? There's lot of a e-mails transcribes that people have been seeing minics, or shadows, around - it seemed to be happening for a little while. Putting the time line on the fall apart was tricky. Although even a single mimic could have snowballed...
  • Was December ever really explained? Or just Morgan having different ideas at a different point in time from January?
  • I assume Alex (or similar) stopped the Escape Pods? One of the engineering logs suggested they were designed not to work though...which makes some sense
  • The operators at the end - I assume they're logs/memories uploaded like January.
  • There was mentioned of everyone in Nueromods getting memory wiped once (and a new guy who turned up during that month disappearing). What was up with that?

Definately a thinker. Not sure I'd want to replay now I've uncovered the story, but good lord it was engrossing.

[/spoiler]

On 3/25/2018 at 23:51, Hexx said:

Did a great job of telling an engaging story will notes, logs building up a huge cast of interacting characters 

It was a great balance between action and suspense, between exploring beautiful yet terrifying environments. The game wants you to explore, and it rewards you for it. The emphasis on storytelling rather than action makes all the difference in the world, and to me its without a doubt game of the year.

After playing Prey, I can't wait for System Shock 3. I hope Warren Spector delivers. 

On 3/25/2018 at 22:51, Hexx said:

And done. Last 2-3 hours fell off a cliff :(

Did a great job of telling an engaging story will notes, logs building up a huge cast of interacting characters (you get to know dozens across the station). Just that last bit is a HUGE slog though

Ending and Unanswered questions (from throughout game) spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Combat Operators can fuck off. Completely ruined the pace of the game (run everywhere now, FocusTime and QBeam when you need to fight, quickly block up manufacturers.

Chose the mindchuff Dahl and save everyone. Was generally good throughout.

Then went with Nullwave option. They're might be people left on station...didn't really like keeping Transtar tech around giving how Neuromods were made (and the board seem to be total dicks)...I'm not sure I want that still around. Blowing it up seemed like the wrong call.

I didn't see the simulation ending coming - even with the silly dream hints. I assumed they were flashbacks, not..."realtime". I guessed I was a Tyhpon earlier (for no other reason than it was mentioned once, and seemed obvious if you were expecting a "twist". I was empathic (like the most empathic ever) - was tempted to kill them all though. Mainly Alex. But went peacefully.

• Was it ever explained how Morgan escaped at the start? I'm sure someone said it was because blank mods were given to him the day before (which would tie in with the reaction to your failed tests) but who/why?
  • What was up with the shuttles? A couple mentioned shadowed by military, and that volunteer (but not VIP) shuttles took a 12 minute detour (to another stop off?)
  • The "volunteers" they had neuromods tested on them, but mostly where just fed to Mimics/Weavers to make more exotic material right?
  • How did the Typhon escape? Or were they always free? There's lot of a e-mails transcribes that people have been seeing minics, or shadows, around - it seemed to be happening for a little while. Putting the time line on the fall apart was tricky. Although even a single mimic could have snowballed...
  • Was December ever really explained? Or just Morgan having different ideas at a different point in time from January?
  • I assume Alex (or similar) stopped the Escape Pods? One of the engineering logs suggested they were designed not to work though...which makes some sense
  • The operators at the end - I assume they're logs/memories uploaded like January.
  • There was mentioned of everyone in Nueromods getting memory wiped once (and a new guy who turned up during that month disappearing). What was up with that?

Definately a thinker. Not sure I'd want to replay now I've uncovered the story, but good lord it was engrossing.

[/spoiler]

In answer to your questions, it's been a while but I can remember the general gist of things:

It's an older version of Morgan, or January, who orchestrates your escape, in a moment of clarity when he realises he's going to be stuck in a testing loop forever unless he breaks himself out.

It's alluded to in a number of logs/comms that there could be another secret base and this is where the shuttles are stopping/coming from - Dahl mentions it in his comm logs at some point. Most of us guess this may be where the DLC is set.

The conscripts were used for all types of testing including Neuromods and as you see in the labs, mind food and test subjects for the alien matter.

As far as I remember you never find out the exact reason for the escape, and yes, it seems like it could have started way earlier than the events in the game. There's hints that mimics or alien matter may have been on the loose very early on, maybe even influencing events. It does seem to escalate suddenly but brought on by what is uncertain. Of course, it's all a simulation to test typhon Morgan, so maybe the real events didn't pan out that way.

You don't learn much about December, but yes it's just a reflection of a different cycle of Morgan's personality in the loop, in which develops a contrary philosophy when he learns what's been going on. That's one of the cool things about the story, that each time Morgan goes through the memory wipe loop he makes different choices and essentially becomes a different person until it's all reset again. So he ends up conflicting with his past selves. And then in the version of Morgan you play, you, like him in the past, get to choose what Morgan you will be this time around, and which of your past selves to believe/empathise with. It's a clever way to tie in the open-ended player choices in the game with the story.

The escape pods are said to have never worked. Alex has his own personal escape pod so he clearly doesn't give a damn about anyone else - if the project has to be destroyed, no-one else is getting out alive. If you think about it, it's even more sinister as Morgan doesn't have one either (unless they share Alex's), so it looks like Alex would probably have sacrificed Morgan as well if necessary.

You can assume the Operators at the end are either the surviving minds of the crew of the station, transplanted or preserved after their deaths. Or like you say, they could be copies/simulations of the crew like January, maybe not the original personalities. For all we know the originals could still be alive, or turned into typhons, or whatever.

In various files around the labs and from Alex's emails, you learn that the crew of the station periodically have their neuromods replaced. What most of them don't know about, is the side effect that this wipes their memories each time. Which is Alex's way of protecting secrets, erasing their guilt for morally dubious acts, and a way to cover up mistakes and lies. If I remember right, it's even implied that they may have been working there for much longer than they think due to this. The missing guy if I recall does show up in later emails or sub-missions, perhaps around the archives? Or at least you can guess that it's him.

• 3 weeks later...

I've put about an hour into this after buying it in the sales, and while it seems good, it feels like it's a game in search of its own identity. It seems like a mixture of Bioshock, System Shock 2, Portal 2 and Deus Ex II - particularly the bit with the wrench and your apartment window. There's nothing wrong with referencing old games, or even doing a full-length homage. It's just that while, say, Dishonored was very much in thrall to Thief, it managed to feel like its own thing as well. While Prey looks nice, it's got a fairly generic futuristic aesthetic, and again, feels very similar to the WhateverShock series of games. It feels a bit played out in 2018 to be meeting up with an NPC and then, before I can actually interact with them, watching them be horribly killed on the other side of a glass door. 

Still, early days. I trust that Arkane will subvert my expectations a bit.

Just finished:

Enjoyed it a lot. I haven't really played a game like this since System Shock /original Deus Ex and the most striking thing was how easy it was to get into. Very few gameplay problems and choices felt well laid out. I played on Hard and chose zero Typhoon mods instead choosing to bump up Scientist and Engineer perks, and I didn't feel hamstrung or stuck for choosing to play like this.

Story was interesting, but the ending payoff was poor I thought. I liked the two choicest presented, and I chose to install the Nullwave and save everyone and everything, but the epilogue just felt unsatisfactory.

Loading up my save right before the end and chose the other route and shot Alex in the face (which felt so good! Bet he wasn't even my Brother) and then in the epilogue killed him for a second time.

Probably won't play another Arcane Studios game for a while, especially if its more stealthy, but highly likely to replay this again at some point and try to maximize the side missions on an easier difficulty.

Ooh one question:

How are you meant to not kill the humans? Pretty much every encounter I had was just me getting close employees for them to brain explode and then I healed up.

Incidentally, I always had a ton of medikits bullets and suit repairs, and wasted a lot of those too. I found it very generous with items throughout but again, probably from the way I played I didn't need any Psi abilities so those refills always got recycled[/spoilers]

2 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Ooh one question:

Hide contents

How are you meant to not kill the humans? Pretty much every encounter I had was just me getting close employees for them to brain explode and then I healed up[/spoilers]

Spoiler

One of the Psi abilities allows you to nullify the Typhon’s mind control of the human crew members, thus allowing you to save them.

2 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

The stun gun is your friend in that situation - stealthily target them one at a time before they know what's happening.  It's tricky though, especially where environmental hazards can end up with them dying indirectly.

AHH. I tried just taking them head-on with the stun gun and didn't really get anywhere!

I'm still in two minds about this - Bioshock pretty much permanently turned me off rooting through bins for food and items - but when it's good, it's very impressive.

I love the pseudo-realistic NASA space stuff, like the spacewalk and the views of the moon and Talos I through the windows, I just find the actual setting a bit hackneyed and generic.

Are there any must-have neuromods early on? I'm up to the bit where you come back to the lobby and watch the rest of the video.

I started playing this last week on PS4 - it's really rather special isn't it? It easily wins the "hardest game on normal difficulty" award for a single-player in the last few years, but that is part of it's charm - you are meant to feel vulnerable, you are not meant to fight everything you see, you do need to play is slow and steady. It fills an itch I last felt playing Alien Isolation.

The unlock skill tree is frankly overwhelming and is begging out for replaying through a second time. I've just left the Arboretum, ran away from you know what and eager to see where it'll take me next.

On 4/22/2018 at 10:04, K said:

Are there any must-have neuromods early on? I'm up to the bit where you come back to the lobby and watch the rest of the video.

I'd suggest the inventory increase one (and I think there's one that buff's what you get from recycling)

Inventory increase is a goodie.  A lot depends on how you want to play and whether you are interested in getting the achievements for only human or only typhon or no augments.  If you are not worried about mixing and matching I would go for:

weapon smith to upgrade your weapons of choice

some lock picking

some hacking

some speed increase for the late game where you want to push through quickly

increased damage from stealth + range upgrades to hand gun

basic typhon push / force for when ammo is low

typhon whirlpool / grav lift for a certain type of pesky, but weak, typhon

typhon psych attack for the telepaths

mimic (not essential afaik but high-levels are fun and enable easy access to some hard to find dead people, much easier than using the glue gun)

I've not tried the big strength type build where you chuck stuff around and build barriers.

16 hours ago, Hexx said:

I'd suggest the inventory increase one (and I think there's one that buff's what you get from recycling)

14 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Inventory increase is a goodie.  A lot depends on how you want to play and whether you are interested in getting the achievements for only human or only typhon or no augments.  If you are not worried about mixing and matching I would go for:

I've not tried the big strength type build where you chuck stuff around and build barriers.

Thanks both. The inventory, weapon smith, and the recycling mods seem really useful, and the one that increases wrench damage seems super-useful too. Is it worth going for the necropsy upgrade? I don't seem to be very short of exotic materials.

I finished this on Wednesday. It definitely grew on me - at first I was rolling my eyes at all the tropes (hacking mini-games, allocating skill points, drinking inventory booze etc) but after a bit of time I got over that.

I think a trick was missed by having loading screens; after a while I realised I could cheese past enemies by just hitting a door button which was a bit immersion breaking.

Also I think the station would have been more interesting architecturaly if it had been design around centrepetal gravity rather than magic on/off.

Towards the end of the game though I loved the station, I felt for the characters and had a strong instinctive hatred towards the aliens. One other thing i found interesting: the more I read of other people’s opinions and the different things they have seen, the higher my regard for this game becomes.

Excellent game.

Edit: only a tenner for PC at cdkeys.com

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me, or did everyone else’s heart sink when

Dahl turned up? Not necessarily Dahl himself, but the way the game looked like it was wrapping everything up and heading towards the climax, at which point dozens of respawning military operators start infesting every level. I’m really not feeling this bit of the game – operators were never the most interesting enemy to fight, and having extra-tough, extra powerful ones that completely rinse your suit energy and respawn infinitely is taking the piss.

Combine that with the way the endgame forces you to run from one side of the station to the other, thus meaning lots of times sitting through the extremely lengthy loading times, and I’m really not very excited about pushing through to the end of a game I thought I’d nearly finished. How long have I got to go? I’ve got about 23hrs on the clock already.

It’s a slight shame because I’m enjoying the game otherwise. I still feel it’s lacking in its own identity, particularly given that its peers are games like Bioshock / Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Portal 2, Dishonored, Alien: Isolation, which all evoke a very strong sense of place and a unique aesthetic. You can see that they tried to do this with Prey, with all the alternate history JFK-lives stuff – the EVA stuff works really well and gives the game a kind of hard SF, NASA-approved feel, but despite the wood panelling and tape drives, the interiors feel pretty generic. It doesn’t help that you’re constantly listening to audio logs that seem to largely consist of people telling each other their door codes (although this does give rise to a nice running joke about how terrible information security is on Talos).

But the actual game is great. I love the way that the different game systems interact with each other, so that each bit of the game feels like a sandbox rather than a linear series of fights and puzzles. Your build seems to really matter, so that my super-agile, super strong stealth guy bristling with weapons, who’s basically Sam Fisher in space, would feel really different to a techy psionic guy, but would be equally valid. Some bits work better than others –

the Nightmare is a good idea, and I nearly shat myself when it squidged itself through a tiny door to get me in a room I thought I was totally safe in, but is generally very easy to hide from by just sitting on a high ledge, and encountering it largely involves just sitting still for three minutes until it fucks off

– but the combat gives you loads of tools to work with.

And I really like the Dishonored-like way that it gives you so many options that it feels like you’re breaking the game. Melting down office furniture and enemies to make ammunition and neuromods is tonnes of fun. Does the

laser operator hell go on for long?

Dude, if you are super strong you should be able to prevent operators from re-spawning very easily indeed.  It's totally set up for that option.  Otherwise you will have to resort to stun->hacking, controlling, or physically incapacitating them without destroying them completely.  

Yeah there are routes around their infinite spawning - but it's the least fun element you're right.

There's a few options towards the end that can change it's length - but you're very nearly there.

Just to echo the above poster, this game is bloody ace and I genuinely feel guilt at not buying it new instead of getting it second hand. Easily the best single player experience I've had for a good long while. Currently mopping up all the crew around the station whilst dodging operators, stunning & hacking those I have time to deal with. 

Then on with what I assume to be the last few missions. 

Not really spoilers as it's a name, but did anyone else accidentally kill Igwe in a really obvious stupid way (when you first meet him)? :(

2 hours ago, Jamin said:

Not really spoilers as it's a name, but did anyone else accidentally kill Igwe in a really obvious stupid way (when you first meet him)? :(

Haha, yes. Had to reload there. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to be doing, to be fair.

Enjoyed the game quite a lot overall. There are definitely some weak sections, and the enemy design is a bit dull, but the amount of stuff to find and the variety of ways to get to it are impressive.

Haha, I should have reloaded myself, but I don't like to do that. Gotta roll with the punches I guess. I only wanted to reload once I'd read he had his own mission.

I also completely forgot about (and therefore killed) the person requiring the meds. I am a terrible heroine.