Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

So, I have made a good bit of progress, am now

Spoiler

investigating the coral outside for Alex...

Suddenly, the game has gone up a notch in difficulty, like it wasn't already.

Also, anyone else struggle for bullets throughout? Sometimes you have a fair amount, but right now, i have no gloo, no 9mm, and only 12 shotgun shells. 

Picked this up cheap

Its a wee bit good isn’t it? Excellent mix of RPG, action and world building

Up to Psitronics 

Some of the Typhon powers look cool...but Im not sure I want the station to turn against me

3 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Picked this up cheap

Up to Psitronics 

Hide contents

Some of the Typhon powers look cool...but Im not sure I want the station to turn against me

I'm twenty hours in. It's amazing. 

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Picked this up cheap

Up to Psitronics 

Reveal hidden contents

Just you wait and see. ;)

Prey DLC?! I had no idea, I thought after the game bombed there was no chance of more content. This is great news!

I expect it will be (full game plot spoilers):

The other corporation base (or ship) that's hinted at in a few of the comms.

The only worrying thing is Prey is a long-burn game where the fun comes in how you slowly explore, upgrade and uncover the story. There's no way a few hours long DLC can match that world-building and progression.

I've moved a bit further into Psontronics

WTF IS THAT BIG ASS THING?!?!

Golden stuff is pretty

Talk of putting human cells/memory/powers into a Typhon in one locked room...That sounds like a really bad idea.

The room with everything posted noted "NOT A MIMIC" was my favourite

45 minutes ago, Hexx said:

I've moved a bit further into Psontronics

Hah. This is one of those games where, when you finish it, you just have to bite your lip when you hear other people talk about where they are.

Yeah, yeah, a bad idea *snork*.

1 hour ago, noob said:

Amazing. Just had the end of this ruined by an article on the upcoming dlc. 

Fuck. Sake. 

YouTube did the same to me. That fucking linked algorithm - I hadn't even looked at anything Prey related either. 

1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

As this is one of the forums GOTY’s picked it up in CEX yesterday for a tenner. Only just started, but already loving the music.

Unless they've patched it it's probably fifty times too loud by default just to warn you!

4 hours ago, Vin said:

YouTube did the same to me. That fucking linked algorithm - I hadn't even looked at anything Prey related either. 

am super annoyed...im right near the end too so been dragging it out. urgh. 

On 3/10/2018 at 17:11, noob said:

Also, anyone else struggle for bullets throughout? Sometimes you have a fair amount, but right now, i have no gloo, no 9mm, and only 12 shotgun shells. 

I had the same issue on my first playthrough (hardest difficulty) so here are some tips: always kill phantoms up close, they are easy to sneak up on or ambush. After you have started to upgrade the shotgun killing one should not take more than 2 rounds. Also, combat focus reduce difficulty by a factor of 10. In zero g, dont bother killing stuff unless you really have to.

For combat I like the upgraded golden gun (damage and length) + more damage from stealth skills tree.  Also, using stun lock, glue or the enironment saves bullets big time.  Finally, if push comes to shove (;)) use their powers against them.  Poltergeists literally don't like it up 'em.

I don’t have golden gun.

Phantoms I glue then one two with charged wrench 

Etherals same but with shotguns,

The new bigger/flying stuff is mucking me up though.

Off to crew quarters cowering in fear. (Going back to lobby and hardware was scary)

well...

made some more progress now 

Spoiler

managed to scan the stuff outside and made it back to alex's office. now everything on the ship hates me. JOY!!! 

i have no gloo atm either. trying to find the easiest route to where i need to go. 

Crew Quarters was a lovely little area. Tested my ‘don’t kill people’ resolve though. 

Also found you can have quiet a few mods before station hates you. PsiShock FTW.

The cook was dodgy - so stunned him. He killled Abi! But now I have an objective to kill him...

The mind controlled by the pool kept walking into fire. Saved what I could but one still burned :(

And then I ‘completed’ the game. Ish.

I’d assumed I’m theTyphon with human nmods based items found earlier and some flashes.

Post escape pod bit makes this sound like an iterative simulation though?

I finished a playthrough of this at around 38 hours, doing all but two or three of the alternative quests (couldnt be arsed sorting out the RPG sheets and the contraband stuff), and although I wouldnt have spent so much time in the game if I didnt really enjoy it, which I did, some things really started to grate sooner or later in the process.

The general criticism I have is with the overall sound design/mixing, which I thought focussed too much on middle and high end sounds for its score and sound effects, in particular the signature sounds of the different typhons. There is very little bass in the soundmix of the game, and all the buzzing and high-pitched effects wore me down on longer sessions to the extent that I played without any sound. And I did turn down the music, but I dont know if it was patched or not by then.

I also had trouble sourcing ammo at several points in the game, mainly because the fabricators are often placed at some far end of the station from where you are, and sometimes even in a different place than the recyclers, and the idea of dealing with that when you have just saved in the area where you are trying to solve something is a pain in the ass. This may not matter so much if you have a lot of the typhon power skills, but I got into a couple of situations where I ran out of psi hypos, as well. And your bags are full of grey stuff, great. No ammo.

And then dealing with the map is a pain sometimes, it is totally not intuitive the way the station is designed. Allocating some points into the mobility skill helps with the traversal itself, but there is still a ton of trekking back and forth through the station during the game, and even though this is supposed to be a spiritual descendant of the System Shock games, I do think some more thought could have gone into the facilitation of that, and also some more assistance with finding quest items and locations. I dont think Ive ever had to look up so many quests in wikis before, yet Id rather have that kind of intricacy to the game than it being dumbed down.

Spoiler

Ultimately, I thought the actual ending was disappointing (I did not kill Dahl, and saved both of the scientists, and got the 'good' ending) in how brief it was - I had expected some longer epilogue cutscene but it ended with a fizzle.

But its great to hear news of more Prey stuff (perhaps) coming, and as an aside, I was watching Annhilation (2018) the other day and it occurred to me that the guy who interrogates Portman through the movie, Lomax, is played by Benedict Wong, who also lent his voice to Alex Yu in Prey. And The Shimmer bears some resemblance to The Coral, so I was thinking if there was some exchange of ideas between Alex Garland and the production team of Prey at some point? Probably just coincidences.