Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

On 13-10-2017 at 08:04, alex3d said:

I'm at Deep Storage now and I don't think this is a good game. It gets the basics right, yes. Controlls are working properly, graphics are okay, there is some sort of story. But the gameplay mechanics themselves are blunt and antiquated. Go to room A where the entrance is blocked so take a detour and kill enemies. Find keycard to room B in room C which is at the other end of the building. And so on.

Also, I'm pretty sure Prey is one of those games that initially gives players lots of pseudo freedom in terms of character development but ultimately screws them in case they're not equipped for fighting. I'm thinking Crew Quarters here. I made it, but had a horrible time as someone focusing on hacking and sneaking skills before.

Moreover, the way the story gets told isn't really state of the art. Audio logs and books are so 1999.

There is no pseudo freedom. Very few games this year, if any, give you the freedom Prey does. Not even BotW comes close in terms of gameplay solutions. There are often tons of solutions to problems. Need to get in the morgue?

Well, you could have read an e-mail that explains there is an operator that passes through the area every thirty minutes, so you can follow him in. Or if you invested in alien powers you could transform into a small object and squeeze through a gap in the window. Or you could smash in a window and use your crossbow to hit the door button from outside and get in that way.

The whole game is designed like that. Want to kill every NPC in the game? Not only is this possible, the games also accounts for it and reflects it in the ending.

Your toolset is so versatile and the level design so impressive and consistent that it allows for some excellent sequence breaking, as evidenced by speedruns. Vertical exploration is really rewarding. I managed to get to

Alex' shuttle

well before I had his access codes or password, just by creative use of my tools and the environment, meaning I saw one of the endings around half way.

As for e-mails and audio logs, they work so well. Much better than cut-scenes ever would. Not only do they make perfect sense in the world, they are also well-written and voiced. They flesh out the world, but they can also trigger quest lines or contain solutions. Really rewarding. Perhaps you find a scratched out code on a wall. Well, you might find a

looking glass video from before and by watching it carefully you might see the code on the wall before it was scratched away.

It's just one example of many. I've invested in hacking a lot as well, but by exploring lots I was never short on Neuromods. I played on Hard and was out of ammo for one of the hardest sections of the game in the end. I buffed up my Stealth skill and managed to pasd all the enemies by good timing and platforming, including some clever GLOO gun usage.

For fights I used all kinds of tactics, from bringing turrets with me to finding alernate paths to avoid them, from investing in Combat Focus to go all FEAR on them by blasting them with my shotgun in bullet time to rushing towards a gas canister and throwing those at them to using my jump and glide to outrun them. 

Prey is 2017's best gameplay sandbox. A fantastic game. And that opening section is a modern classic.

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

There is no pseudo freedom. Very few games this year, if any, give you the freedom Prey does. Not even BotW comes close in terms of gameplay solutions. There are often tons of solutions to problems. Need to get in the morgue?

Reveal hidden contents

Well, you could have read an e-mail that explains there is an operator that passes through the area every thirty minutes, so you can follow him in. Or if you invested in alien powers you could transform into a small object and squeeze through a gap in the window. Or you could smash in a window and use your crossbow to hit the door button from outside and get in that way.

The whole game is designed like that. Want to kill every NPC in the game? Not only is this possible, the games also accounts for it and reflects it in the ending.

Your toolset is so versatile and the level design so impressive and consistent that it allows for some excellent sequence breaking, as evidenced by speedruns. Vertical exploration is really rewarding. I managed to get to

Reveal hidden contents

Alex' shuttle

well before I had his access codes or password, just by creative use of my tools and the environment, meaning I saw one of the endings around half way.

As for e-mails and audio logs, they work so well. Much better than cut-scenes ever would. Not only do they make perfect sense in the world, they are also well-written and voiced. They flesh out the world, but they can also trigger quest lines or contain solutions. Really rewarding. Perhaps you find a scratched out code on a wall. Well, you might find a

Reveal hidden contents

looking glass video from before and by watching it carefully you might see the code on the wall before it was scratched away.

It's just one example of many. I've invested in hacking a lot as well, but by exploring lots I was never short on Neuromods. I played on Hard and was out of ammo for one of the hardest sections of the game in the end. I buffed up my Stealth skill and managed to pasd all the enemies by good timing and platforming, including some clever GLOO gun usage.

For fights I used all kinds of tactics, from bringing turrets with me to finding alernate paths to avoid them, from investing in Combat Focus to go all FEAR on them by blasting them with my shotgun in bullet time to rushing towards a gas canister and throwing those at them to using my jump and glide to outrun them. 

Prey is 2017's best gameplay sandbox. A fantastic game. And that opening section is a modern classic.

Interest piqued! Does it perform well on a standard PS4? 

40 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

PC version of this seems fucked at the moment. Controller support isn't working so analogue sticks look like they're all at max sensitivity. Dang!

Is it otherwise OK in terms of performance? I played New Order on PC and loved it. Tried Old Blood on Xbox and just couldn't handle playing this game with a pad. You need that precision for the stealth and what not so I think I'm gonna get it on PC. It's £32 on Amazon and I've got some promo credit but I might hang on as I've got Mario and Shadow of War on the go.

• 1 month later...

I reinstalled this game (STEAM) again because I just had to, but the game wont launch. Steam says the game is launching but nothing happens and then the process stop. Anyone have any advice? I tried checking my firewall.

edit: W10

Edited by Stevie

15 hours ago, U-1 said:

Picked this up in the Black Friday sale and I'm really impressed so far.

Definitely scratching that Bioshock/System Shock itch.

Looks lovely too.

Me too. It really does. LOVED the opening bit too. 

Can't wait to spend some time with it over Christmas now. 

Finished this last night after around 30 hours or so & it’s right up there with the best games of the year, which considering how absolutely stellar 2017 has been, is the very highest of praise.

It engaged me right the way through & I explored the station thoroughly & did all the side-quests I could. Talos 1 is such a stunningly well-realised location & the options given to you with all of the abilities, powers & weapons make for a brilliant sandbox. I was experimenting with different approaches & combinations pretty much until the credits rolled.

Loved the ending & felt like the conclusion was a satisfying payoff for the choices I’d made throughout the game. (Ending spoilers follow).

Spoiler

I chose to use the prototype nullwave transmitter in the end, primarily because blowing up the station would render all the efforts I’d gone to in helping & rescuing everyone pointless.

Little did I know that the whole thing was a simulation anyway so none of it really mattered!

I can see why some would think the ending is a cop-out but I found it thematically satisfying because my assessment by the watching powers at the end was that I’d exhibited compassion & could be trusted to mark the beginning of a cooperation between the species. Reaching out to take Alex’s hand therefore seemed a fitting end. I’d chosen to save people where I could & take the path that would leave the least destruction. Although I didn’t know I was a Typhon the whole time it painted all those empathetic choices in a different light & reinforced them as the right thing to do.

Having said that I’m tempted to play through it again forearmed with the knowledge of what’s really going on & fucking slaughter every one of those filthy humans.

Arkane are the masters of the immersive sim & playing this & Death of the Outsider in quick succession has cemented their place as one of my very favourite developers. Despite the disappointing sales of their recent releases I really hope they’re given the opportunity to continue to make more games of this ilk. They’re exceptionally atmospheric experiences riddled with choice that treat the player like an adult & are a real pleasure to lose yourself in.

Seriously kicking myself for not getting behind this sooner. Just a great single player experience that proves a genuine challenge, allows for some freedom/ingenuity and refrains from too much hand holding.

Must be nearing the end now and the fact it's kept me off the likes of Mario Odyssey says it all really. 

Also not a micro transaction or loot crate in sight either. #saveplayer1 indeed ;)

4 hours ago, noob said:

Right... So I have to say, this is INCREDIBLE. 

Spent some time with it today and I'm just agog at how good it is. 

Do your decisions make a difference later? Saving or not saving folk?

Glad you are enjoying it.  GOTY here.

And yes what you do ultimately counts in this, but you do need to see it through to the end - if you get tired of backtracking just stick to the critical path, recycle to create ammo and rock on.

@noob Do you mean the Psych one in staff quarters? Technos are the ones who commandeer turrets and flying things and are weak to static.  For Psychs there is a special grenade and also the Typhon power, Psych control (? can't recall the exact name) both of which which basically disable the special power and give you a window to hammer away with guns.  You really need to scan enemies in this because each has it's specific weaknesses.

2 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

@noob Do you mean the Psych one in staff quarters? Technos are the ones who commandeer turrets and flying things and are weak to static.  For Psychs there is a special grenade and also the Typhon power, Psych control (? can't recall the exact name) both of which which basically disable the special power and give you a window to hammer away with guns.  You really need to scan enemies in this because each has it's specific weaknesses.

yes, sorry, was in bed earlier and obviously not quite awake... theres a grenade for them? 

cheers! 

1 minute ago, noob said:

yes, sorry, was in bed earlier and obviously not quite awake... theres a grenade for them? 

cheers! 

Oh yes, at least one tool exists for every job in this, and the beauty is that, after finding the relevant blueprint, you can make your own supply (having looked it up, it's the Null Wave Transmitter or psycho-shock ability).  And you can create the tool you need to supply the materials....... genius.

Another thing I really like is that early in the game there is either a visual clue how to go about things - e.g you see how moving objects destroy hordes of cystoids, or you can put two and two together -  the first time you encounter a thermal (in the medical room) there are many gas cylinders lying around.

The combat really does open up for multiple possibilities. I've got my tactic for regular Phantoms nailed now... stun them with a disruptor shot, run up to them and a single shotgun blast to the head (tends to leave them with a sliver of health) and then finish them with a satisfying whack of the wrench. 

Minimal ammo expenditure and maximum satisfaction.

The Technopath and Telepath enemies are more challenging but the grenades definitely help matters.

Im approaching the endgame now and really don't want it to finish. 

If anyone is having PC controller issues, there's an unofficial patch out there that fixes what the developer broken. Works perfectly.

Game hasn't grabbed me, yet. It's very difficult, and I'm constantly terrified of running out of ammo.

10 minutes ago, Meh said:

Game hasn't grabbed me, yet. It's very difficult, and I'm constantly terrified of running out of ammo.

I'd suggest trying to get out of the mindset of having to kill all enemies (atleast first time you see them) and to look for alternate options other than direct combat.

In the early stages the strategic use of explosive canisters helped a lot.

Yeah, I'm very much in the mindset of "kill everything". I hate the thought of sneaking everywhere, though, and I hear the baddies respawn. Might not be for me, I'm thinking, as respawning bad guys is one of the biggest turn-offs I have in gaming.

15 minutes ago, Meh said:

Yeah, I'm very much in the mindset of "kill everything". I hate the thought of sneaking everywhere, though, and I hear the baddies respawn. Might not be for me, I'm thinking, as respawning bad guys is one of the biggest turn-offs I have in gaming.

It's not a straightforward re-spawn though - more that things get progressively more difficult in the station as you go through the main story line.  You can explore all you like in between advancing.  Also, there is a random factor in enemy spawns so keeping multiple recent saves can sometimes help.

But, main advice is to find alternatives to ammo, such as Typhon powers or environmental objects, or to double down on manufacturing it in bulk.  I found turrets to be a good source of metal for this purpose and they tend to get easily trashed in between visits unless you store them somewhere safe or lug them around with you.

Yeah it's definitely not a case of repawnjng enemies in a cheap way.. As Cosmic says there is a kind of logic behind it and it only tends to happen when re-entering areas once you continue to push the main quest on. 

It's certainly not like you clear a corridor come back 5 minutes later and the enemies are back.