rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

Some footage here: http://www.gameinformer.com/p/prey.aspx

You can tell it's being developed by Arkane, because it's entirely their style - tools for players that can be used in multiple ways (mimic being useful for access and stealth, gluegun for combat and access), systematised behaviours that affect the world (monsters that are attracted to you based on your abilities instead of high/low chaos), graphics that won't blow your socks off, but with great art design and stylised human characters, and a focus on levels that are completely explorable, like the island levels in Dishonoured 2 except expanded to the whole world. Even the "go to a workstation to get information on your objective" seems to have been extrapolated into a gameplay system.

It's basically System Shock, with a bit more focus on survival type stuff.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JimmytheMook said:

Artwork looks average at best, very by the numbers. Hope it's unique gameplay features are up to scratch.

It's an immersive sim from Arkane. Think System Shock. Even though that genre is more prolific these days than it was at the start of last gen, it's not like we get tons of those. Arkane is generally a seal of quality, so I'm pretty excited about this one. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JimmytheMook said:

Artwork looks average at best, very by the numbers. Hope it's unique gameplay features are up to scratch.

Have you seen this?  It's the first I've seen of it, looks like it has potential for sure. 

• Upvote 3

Yeah, this is looking interesting - Arkane does System Shock sounds very appealing. I also like the little nod in the loading screen to one of Arkane's sources of inspiration - the "Looking Glass" terminals referenced.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It's an immersive sim from Arkane. Think System Shock. Even though that genre is more prolific these days than it was at the start of last gen, it's not like we get tons of those. Arkane is generally a seal of quality, so I'm pretty excited about this one. 

Arkane are in desperate need of a decent art director. Gameplay wise they're top but as mentioned the visuals are dull as fuck in all their games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, Stevedave said:

Arkane are in desperate need of a decent art director. Gameplay wise they're top but as mentioned the visuals are dull as fuck in all their games. 

Wait, in relation to what? Dishonoured has amazing art direction. I'm curious what titles you think are stronger in this regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Stevedave said:

WTF :wacko:

You need to visit the Royal Conservatory level in Dishonored 2, it's stunning.

IMG_0195.JPG

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Stevedave said:

Ban request. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Wait, in relation to what? Dishonoured has amazing art direction. I'm curious what titles you think are stronger in this regard.

The colour palette is dull. There's a lot of brown hues - suddenly everyone loves them again after hating them in 2004 - 08 period?  It's not like this is a far out opinion have a browse. 

And yes I do like the game. I'm not knocking the gameplay at all. I thought the animation was a step above everything else at the time. You just don't need to turn games like dishonored into a brown hue fest. 

4 minutes ago, Stevedave said:

The colour palette is dull. There's a lot of brown hues - suddenly everyone loves them again after hating them in 2004 - 08 period?  

They made two games after this period that have absolutely stunning art direction. 

That's probably what did it. 

By 'them' he means brown hues were unpopular, not Arkane games, there. Though I'm very confused by the description of them as brown games - their dominant colours are wildly divergent in my experience, with different areas dominated by different colours. If anything, ambers and greens seem the most common base colours.

What the games do feature is a muted palette with splashes of vibrant colour, but that's rather different from 'brown'. 

• Upvote 3

Muted palette is probably a better description. The first half of Dishonored is very brown and grim. Maybe it's personal preference, but unless I'm playing a gritty war game or horror I like the colour amped up. Bioshock is in a dystopian setting yet the colours are bright; loads to take in. 

Look at Prey 2 now to the Prey reboot. Actually, look at Portal and the Prey reboot. Same sort of aesthetic, totally different level of colour and brightness.  

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I can sympathise with disliking their style. I really dig Arkane's style, but it is very defined, so if it rubs you the wrong way there's no easy way to ignore it. For me the equivalent are games like Inside and Bloodborne that I appreciate have art styles that are beautiful to many, but just leave me cold with their overwhelming gloom and resolute use of the darkest end of the colour spectrum. 

• Upvote 1

True. I hate the art style in Street Fighter IV but can still appreciate it's a superb game so it's not the be all and end all. Muted colours just don't float my boat unless it's in a particular genre. 

Anyway, the Prey reboot does look amazing I'll still be picking it up. I'll be interested to see how many nods (if any) they give to Tommy from the original. I remember Prey getting mixed reviews but it was a decent shooter at the time and had some cool ideas. I recall someone getting sacked at IGN for giving it a 9/10 ha.