Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

RubberJohnny

14 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

For my part I have learned so much about the game since I played it that I don't think I can really be arsed to play through it all again. I'm quite happy to just read and watch about other people's experiences to see what I could have done differently. Like I said before for me the main fun in these games is the exploration and story, and the combat and alternative approaches, although they keep things interesting aren't varied enough to go through essentially the same gameplay. Something like Breath of the Wild I would play through again because you can solve problems in so many ways, but in Prey and other similar games you find out most of the alternatives as a by-product of solving it the first time around. Like you hack into a locked room then you find the secret access hatch or find the email with the keycode later on. It's no reflection on the game though, I still loved it. I did exactly the same thing with System Shock 2 which, although brilliant, just didn't have the same hold on you the second time around.

Although I posted something at the time along the lines I was finding it a bit of a joyless experience, doing a no upgrades run is worthwhile because it really shows what is absolutely necessary to complete the game and how the critical points can always be passed without hacking or repair or whatever.

This seems to have done reasonably well in the US. Number 5 in last month's NPD.

I've finally got it on PC - went for the physical edition as it was cheapest. My PC hasn't had a disc drive in it since it was built 5+ years ago and the game is 18GB so I'm not really sure what's on the disc anyway.

Does it play ok with a pad on PC or does it feel like it's been balanced to be played with keyboard and mouse? I probably won't get time to play until the weekend but I'm trying to decide if I should play at my desk or TV.

Just made a start on this. I've just got to the lobby and so far I'm enjoying it. I like the atmosphere of the station and so far everything is moving along at a nice pace.

I loved this bit (screenshot early spoiler):

Spoiler

NipFBO7.jpg

I've already switched to playing with a pad. Think it's just a matter of time before I move to the TV.

Played a bit more yesterday. Went to the Trauma Center or whatever it's called, checked out my office and generally explored the lobby a bit.

I really, really like it so far. I wish I could be bothered to play with MKB but can't be bothered (when did I become such a Filthy Casual?) as it seems like a perfect game for it.

One thing I don't like, though is how much it (intentionally) feels like Bioshock in places. The whole wrench, January and the DLC shotgun are all straight out of BioShock. I can live with the neuromods (though I was expecting it to be less of a straight tech tree) and the Space ArtDeco but don't know why they feel the need to evoke those feelings instead of just doing their own thing. Did lots of people from Irrational end up on this? I know Shawn Elliott did but not sure about others.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

One thing I don't like, though is how much it (intentionally) feels like Bioshock in places. The whole wrench, January and the DLC shotgun are all straight out of BioShock. I can live with the neuromods (though I was expecting it to be less of a straight tech tree) and the Space ArtDeco but don't know why they feel the need to evoke those feelings instead of just doing their own thing. Did lots of people from Irrational end up on this? I know Shawn Elliott did but not sure about others.

There is one game mechanic you will encounter shortly which is very reminiscent of Bioshock, and possibly one location.  I believe all the spiritual successors to System Shock share some points of similarity but this game ultimately has a character entirely of its own.

I can't see that speed run being bettered any time soon - he uses the fastest way of travelling up and down the station for sure.  

That speed run is way more interesting to watch than the earlier ones. I like how he skips by falling down the elevator shaft and warping in and out of the GUTs is super clever, imagine how long it must take to find the right places to enter anti grav and so on. Figuring out the fastest routes in a game like this must be a nightmare, but it's cool to see. I'd love to see some videos where speedrunners talk through the process they took in coming up with routes and finding the big glitches.

Plodding on, still enjoying this (rummaging around Psychotronics).

One thing I don't like is the apparently infinitely respawning enemies if you leave an area for even a short period of time. Makes traversal quite tedious when you just want to get somewhere and do something. 

Other than that I still really like it. Haven't found that many uses for the GLOO gun yet, though.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, climbing stuff. Nothing else other than putting out fires has jumped out at me. Slowing things down before shooting them is getting slightly tedious, so now I just shoot them.

Battering GLOOed up enemies with my wrench has been my main method of killing things throughout the game :lol: And I'm basically at the end now.

As for enemies, I'm pretty sure that they repopulate based on story progress rather than some arbitrary timer. They're not infinite; clearing them out and exploring for extended periods of time is very doable so long as you don't complete story missions.

Glooing enemies considerably reduces ammo costs for those weak to being glued.  Also, I used Gloo + Hack a lot on operators.  There are alternatives to using the gun as a ladder, but both require Typhon powers.

Also @Sie is correct re enemy spawn - don't advance the main story if you wish to do things like track down all the missing crew.  There is probably some algorithm in place which means that if you initially run through an area and don't kill anything and return later there is still a cap on total enemy numbers in a given area.  There is some randomness though in enemy spawn - in one of my runs I encountered 2 technos when every other time there was just the one.

I'm up to the crew quarters now and my enjoyment of this is waning, slightly. Haven't had a decent new weapon in an age, upgrades and neuromods don't really make me feel very powerful (upgrades seem very expensive) and the enemies are starting to feel very OP.

Still enjoying it but the enemies really aren't very interesting and I don't enjoy the combat very much. It's got the same problem as BioShock where the enemies are extremely fast and you feel very slow and clunky in comparison. I'd imagine at 30fps it would be even more unpleasant and have a similar treacle like feel.

I haven't bought many Typhon neuromods but I can't see any that look like they'd be worth it in exchange for having to deal with turrets trying to shoot me.

I'm quite disappointed at the moment because:

Spoiler

I expected the Crew Quarters to be a relatively safe sanctuary and there to be (normal) survivors there to talk to, but everyone's dead or a zombie.

41 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm quite disappointed at the moment because:

Well, you could possibly leave with it in a state close to what you expected.

I think you're supposed to be able to free all the crew. Unfortunately, when I did my run-through, no-one but me* got out alive.

Most galling was that I must have been spotted by the Telepath in the pool area; I went downstairs to find a pile of charred bodies by the burst gas pipes near the locker room; the telepath had sent them to find me, and they had burned to death trying to walk through the flaming corridor. :-( I hadn't even realised this had happened as I bumbled around the upstairs gym.

--

*Well, there was one other...

32 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

How's this running now on either PC or PS Pro? Has it been patched up?

Think PS4 is pretty bad right now, 30 fps and all sorts of issues, even on Pro. I'm able to run it at 1440p60 with a RX 480 with a few settings turned down. At 1080p I think it'll fly on even quite old cards.

15 minutes ago, smac said:

Well, you could possibly leave with it in a state close to what you expected.

Reveal hidden contents

I think you're supposed to be able to free all the crew. Unfortunately, when I did my run-through, no-one but me* got out alive.

Most galling was that I must have been spotted by the Telepath in the pool area; I went downstairs to find a pile of charred bodies by the burst gas pipes near the locker room; the telepath had sent them to find me, and they had burned to death trying to walk through the flaming corridor. :-( I hadn't even realised this had happened as I bumbled around the upstairs gym.

--

*Well, there was one other...

Yeah, I find telepaths and technopaths really overpowered and difficult to fight, though. Anything else surviving in the vicinity is a rarity.

Anyone got any recommendations for some powerful neuromods worth investing in?

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Can't help you with Typhon mods - I just installed the first one. I found maxing out Combat Focus pretty useful; get surrounded by a couple of Typhons without it and you're toast - with it you can either take 'em out or make your escape. I maxed out the wrench skills, too - only issue is that you don't want to get too close to some typhons when you fight them or when they die (and any Operator).

Maxed out shotgun with full gunnery skills is pretty sweet, too.

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yep.  Three Typhon ones I would recommend (can't remember the precise names):

Psych - use this against telepaths - it removes their powerful attack.  It also removes the shield from weavers

Uplift - this is brilliant since it removes threats temporarily at times you are running short of ammo - plus makes the Gloo + ammo combo much easier v a static target plus it can lift you more easily than creating Gloo steps.

Kinetic push - works well against many, particularly good v technopaths when you are electrified and find your guns don't work.

Scan everything and read the details of each enemy to see the weaknesses of each type - I imagine on the higher difficulty settings this is essential or everything becomes a bullet sponge..  The beam gun is wicked v the purple self-splitting & exploding  typhon variety for example.  Against thermals chucking explosive canisters seemed the best thing.  Emp grenades v the voltaics.  

The shotgun is good, but if you put a few points into stealth you will do well to upgrade the golden gun for range and accuracy.  Also the electro shock gun is worth it's weight in gold with upgraded range and duration - there is one you can pick up very early in the game too.  

I never found hostile turrets a big deal but by the end I concluded their best use was as recycle fodder.  

With hostile operators you have a number of possible approaches depending on your skill set:

Gloo or stun, plus hack

Gloo or stun, plus wrench until they are nonfunctional but not entirely broken

Machine mind to convert them to your side for a period

Destroy and prevent new ones from replacing them by putting large objects in front of the apertures.

So I guess non Typhon mod priorities would be gunsmith (both levels), repair to 2 or 3, stealth to the point of increased damage from unaware enemies, hacking to level 2 or maybe 3, increased movement speed and agility is also useful for the late game.  I didn't try the combat focus + shottie and chucking heavy things around approach admittedly. 

A lot depends on whether you want to do a thorough exploration type run or just get through pretty quickly.  In the former case you shouldn't be limited by neuromods; there are so many in the game and you can fabricate more.

@Cosmic_Guru Thanks for such an in depth post. Definitely going to give the Typhon mods you mentioned a go. Have already bought the Lift one.

I went into Deep Storage, got immediately locked in and realised I had 0 shotgun ammo, 7 goo ammo and had to get past a Technopath and a bunch of Phantoms. Brilliant.

Had to reload to before I went in, scramble out of the Arboretum airlock to Hardware Division and then fabricate some more before spacewalking back.

Used up most of my crafting materials but at least I've got plenty of ammo and Goo.

I wish there was a bit more story. Every objective is basically just "go there to unlock the door for the place where you need to go to unlock the door for where you really need to go (which is where you will unlock the next door)."

And Alex phones you up every 45 minutes to say something mysterious but not actually tell you anything useful at all. I get it, Alex, you did awful things which you're not going to explain but you still love me lots. Thanks.

I'm making good progress in this, at the moment I've just finished Deep Storage and need to fabricate some key thing.

Still mostly enjoying it but I don't really see the Metroid comparisons at all. I don't think I've found a new weapon in something like 4 or 5 hours and have done minimal, if any, backtracking. There's a couple of sidequests which involve backtracking but honestly they're so dull and poorly rewarded that I don't see the point. Doing the backtracking will probably cost me so much ammo that I'll make a net loss in terms of ammo/materials.

And the game doesn't seem overly freeform, either. Yeah, you can kill main characters (including January) but why would I do that? I can't think of any other ways in which it lets you break the mould, as it were.

No, it's not a Metroid game really, more of a puzzle where there are work arounds for any given skill set (or lack of skill), and a rather delicious recycle mechanic.  And don't expect new weapons- just modifications to your favourites to make them more effective for your style of play. 

Don't fret the side quests in your first play through either, just power on through and let us know what you think afterwards!

• 4 weeks later...

So I decided to give this another go and of course I loved it, again. I just made it to the remaining survivors, after saving Dr.Igwe who was stuck in a container running out of oxygen. As I walked among the survivors listening to their lamentations, I realized that my job was to destroy the station and that would mean the death of me, and them. A few well placed recycler charges took out most of them, and the few straglers that were left I finished off with the Q-beam. Sad.

8 minutes ago, Stevie said:

So I decided to give this another go and of course I loved it, again. I just made it to the remaining survivors, after saving Dr.Igwe who was stuck in a container running out of oxygen. As I walked among the survivors listening to their lamentations, I realized that my job was to destroy the station and that would mean the death of me, and them. A few well placed recycler charges took out most of them, and the few stranglers that were left I finished off with the Q-beam. Sad.

:blink:

Cold, man, cold. Although you don't want any stranglers around, I'll give you that.

I finally fired up the "first hour" demo after downloading it months ago.

Spoiler

First I decided to see if I could stick my head in the rotor blades of the chopper for some reason and it turns out, yes.

Doing it again properly, I got up to that bit with the glass doors on your balcony and decided to put the demo down. This is one of those games where my first sitting is almost certainly going to be a four-hour binge. Looking forward to freeing up some time for it in the autumn.