RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

The 1 hour demo did nothing to sell it to me but now I'm playing it I can see how good it actually is. It's really giving me System Shock 2 vibes. 28 quid on CDkeys and still has the preorder shotgun

• Upvote 1

This just gets better and better.  I reckon if it doesn't grab you by the time you do a first sweep of hardware (and have gone outside for the first time), then fair enough, but after the retrieval quest where you probably feel obliged to double back for a while, the twists and new gadgets and powers start to come thick and fast.  

Game takes a strong swerve toward the Bioshock games from Psychotronics  onwards when you (game mechanism spoilers not story related) 

Spoiler

start to research the enemies for weaknesses.  Also the lures are clearly intended to attract them to the areas of oil / explosive canisters etc to set up ambushes most effectively

but there are also elements which are far more reminiscent of Deus Ex.  

The presentation is glorious too - every time a new gadget is acquired, the instruction posters, it's all absolutely grand.

I've also had a really excellent jump scare :o.  

• Upvote 2

This is really, really hard. I'm up at the arboretum now (About four hours in) and shit is tough. My weapons do fuck all damage and enemies hit like a truck

27 minutes ago, Flub said:

This is really, really hard. I'm up at the arboretum now (About four hours in) and shit is tough. My weapons do fuck all damage and enemies hit like a truck

I'm getting on for 10 hours and I haven't got that far yet - I'm literally about to enter the G.U.T.S for the first time :lol: 

(I take every area extremely tentatively and thoroughly. That, and I'm playing on hard mode so have died a fair few times)

I like it, but that's because this is the sort of game I like to play methodically, and I like that it makes confrontations dangerous - I always need to scope out the situation and find ways to isolate enemies or otherwise even the odds. However, if it gets too hard later on I may drop it down; at the moment all enemies are manageable in isolation, and working out how to deal with new, tougher enemies has been fun, but if later enemies turn into absolute bullet sponges my opinion may change.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that sounds good. System Shock 2 was good on hard difficulty (did it have one?). I remember always being low on health and ammo made it much more tense and you had to think more about encounters and even avoid enemies when low on ammo. Made it a lot more fun. Glad they are going along the same lines.

The fact I still use the wrench wherever possible (as sole weapon against low risk enemies, finisher on tougher ones*) in order to preserve ammo feels very System Shock, yeah.

*well, ones that aren't hazardous to your health from simple proximity at least

• Upvote 1

Remember to use the Gloo Gun alongside your other weapons, as I believe it increases the damage you can do as well.  I tend to Gloo gun them and then shotgun the enemies (well the larger ones), otherwise it's just gloo gun and wrench.  Of course you can always just stealth past them as well, always handy in the main lobby :)  So far it definitely feels like a mix of System Shock/Deus Ex but then I never really expected much less from Arkane, really enjoy their games (though I really need to play Dishonered's DLC/Dishonored 2).  I'm loving the music as well, Mick Gordons done a great job of it.

Every time the game adds another wrinkle or mechanic, it makes perfect sense. It juggles a lot of stuff really elegantly, with decisions so smart you often don't notice them at all. Just the way it should be. I've been absolutely transfixed for the last 90 mins walking around the arboretum. I keep stumbling across ways into other areas, clearing them out, and seeing the "proper" way to get into that area on the way out. Classic Deus Ex/Dishonored.

It's good on hard, the fights are over very quickly typically because there's not much backward and forward between you and the enemy. You have to stun them somehow and kill them quick, or their return barrage will probably kill you. You're not really trading blows in prolonged fights, which to me feels sharp and tense. There are a few exceptions though.

It's a hard game.

Some vague tips:

Don't eat all the fruit and food. Use it to make other things.

Look at the research you've gathered on the aliens, it's not just flavour text.

The huntress weapon has a point.

Spoiler

You can use it to shoot out of reach things

Spoiler

You can shoot touchscreens with it to unlock doors etc

Keep your eyes peeled for bodies and alternate routes. And don't be afraid to pick and choose upgrades based on the thing that's currently in your way right now.

A maxed out pistol seems ridiculously powerful and silent to boot. (Edit - but then I found another almost identical one with better stats, grr)

If your inventory is full and there's no recycler nearby, you probably have another way to recycle items into materials. Just think about the tools at your disposal.

Certain difficulty ramp-ups seem tied to the main quest, so do available sidequests first if you can.

Touch to calibrate.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Moz said:

If your inventory is full and there's no recycler nearby, you probably have another way to recycle items into materials. Just think about the tools at your disposal.

Doh! Of course!

Hmm.

I need to get into a data vault to access an airlock. The door is blocked by a level 3 leverage thing and the only other door is broken. I know there must be another way in but I'll be buggered if I can find it.

@Moz some good tips and :lol: of course at one reference.

Also, you can recycle ammo for weapons you are not currently making much use of e.g the pistol, to make metal for more shells or Gloo.

I think the Dishonored comparisons will start to kick in big time when you have a panoply of alien powers to pick and choose from, rather than the more Deus Exy ones you start with. It's always worth looking up though to see what might be feasible with a bit of Gloo.

The game is going to need multiple playthroughs to really see what is possible.

Was there anyway to interact with the pinball machines?  There is a running machine you can use in one place .

Can anyone tell me if the input lag from the demo has been fixed on the PS4?  I'm really interested in this but found the gloo gun far too inaccurate in the demo. 

4 hours ago, sandman said:

Absolutely loving this even if it is a reskinned Dishonoured. In fact it's miles better than Dishonoured 2 so far

Yeah but it isn't a reskinned dishonored, at all. Maybe if you got all the OP alien abilities I suppose, but the environments are smaller and denser and there are much fewer (but stronger) enemies. 

The game has introduced human enemies now, with a brilliant twist on non lethal stealth gameplay. 

Spoiler

They're mind-controlled by an alien elsewhere in the environment, and run at you screaming (serious sam style) until their heads explode and do damage in the process. If they see you, and you don't get away quickly, They die in the process of attacking you. Given that I'm trying not to kill humans, this is making for some really entertaining Benny Hill moments. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Yeah but it isn't a reskinned dishonored, at all. Maybe if you got all the OP alien abilities I suppose, but the environments are smaller and denser and there are much fewer (but stronger) enemies. 

The game has introduced human enemies now, with a brilliant twist on non lethal stealth gameplay. 

Reveal hidden contents

They're mind-controlled by an alien elsewhere in the environment, and run at you screaming (serious sam style) until their heads explode and do damage in the process. If they see you, and you don't get away quickly, They die in the process of attacking you. Given that I'm trying not to kill humans, this is making for some really entertaining Benny Hill moments. 

Sorry, but this reminds me of dishonored more than any other game. Ive played well over 1000 over the last 40 odd years and can't think of a game it reminds me of more 

• Downvote 1

Sometimes this game is really unclear about how you're supposed to do things. I'm meant to be getting some turrets from one part of the map to another. The problem is the place I need to get to is through a locked door. No problem. There's always another entrance. The problem is the entrance is up a height too far to climb while holding a turret. This is the cargo bay if anyone has any advice

Or take advantage of other tools - I've taken turrets to exciting new heights using Gloo paths, for example. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sandman said:

Sorry, but this reminds me of dishonored more than any other game. Ive played well over 1000 over the last 40 odd years and can't think of a game it reminds me of more 

http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-channels-the-spirit-of-system-shock/

It's more or less System Shock 3, ignoring the fact that an actual System Shock 3 is on the way. Bioshock is also a System Shock spiritual successor. Dishonored is more of a continuation of the Thief series with some of the abilities from System Shock mixed in. They all share a good amount of amount of DNA and they're all wonderful, but System Shock is the Grandaddy of them all.

• Upvote 4

Prey reminds me of System Shock in that they seemed to actually design a space station first and then put game in there.  It's fucking marvellous. 

• Upvote 8

one issue i've been having, the sound mix is all over the shop. enemies can be a good 20 feet away but the noise they are making feels like it's coming from next to me, makes for some very tense email reading...

• Upvote 1

Oh man. Was in a place. Up really high. Big enemy below me. 7 rapid fire recycler things chucked and he's dead. I think that's the first time I've ever felt powerful :)

Damn. This game is amazing