RubberJohnny

Prey (2017) - Update and Mooncrash DLC available now!

I listened to a short interview with the lead designer for this, he namechecked Arx Fatalis as an inspiration, probably only means much to people who really love Arkane. Sounds fairly randomised with the nature of the mimic design.

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 15:28, Down by Law said:

Synthwave :wub:

Might buy it at twenty quid. D2 dropped like a rock, can't see this doing any better

D2?

32 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It looks to be a very comfort zone game.

I would think that unlikely given Arkane's reputation for enabling player agency.  But time will tell.

I have feeling that this could be one of those games with very little hype behind it that suddenly turns out to be brilliant. Arkane is at its best with inventive first-person combat in atmospheric settings.

5 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

I still can't work out what type of game this is.  Is it a linea FPS with Powers or an Open World Adventure?

Something in-between the two I reckon - as always with Arkane, there will be multiple ways to accomplish objectives.

1 hour ago, Cool Ben said:

I still can't work out what type of game this is.  Is it a linea FPS with Powers or an Open World Adventure?

Immersive sim.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, that's gotta be one of the more daft terms I've come across. Especially when the splash pic is Deus Ex. Deus Ex is a fucking brilliant game, but what exactly is it supposed to simulate? 

Warren Spector, creator of Deus Ex, coined that term. So it makes sense to use that as the splash pic. The video explains it well, but GB also has a decent overview:

https://www.giantbomb.com/immersive-sim/3015-5700/

4 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, that's gotta be one of the more daft terms I've come across. Especially when the splash pic is Deus Ex. Deus Ex is a fucking brilliant game, but what exactly is it supposed to simulate? 

It simulates having your vision augmented.

The video explains it well. It simulates certain things - such as physics, AI reactions, and then lets the player play the game according to the rules of the simulation. This sets games like Deus Ex and System Shock apart from games like Half-Life, which throw scripted things at the player when they cross invisible lines.

They're also generally first person, even though elements of immersive sims - like the systemic agency and physics simulation - can be found in games like The Phantom Pain, Hitman and Breath of the Wild.

Dunno,  I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games, but in general 'immersive sim' is used to describe the sub-genre of first-person action games like System Shock, Deus Ex, Thief and Dishonored where you can take multiple routes, choose how to spec your character, have an array of tools, create your own solutions to problems and affect the narrative via your play-style and actions.

For example, in Resident Evil 4 I might go into a building and there's a handy wardrobe that I can push into place in front of a window to stop zombies getting in. The designers put that there specifically for that purpose, intending that I do exactly that. Not immersive sim.

In Deus Ex, I can use a chair to block a door to stop a guard coming into a room. I can do this because I can pick up most objects in the game depending on my strength stat, and because the chair physically stops the door from opening and thus the NPC can't get to me. Player-created solution to situation that only occurred because of my prior actions. Immersive sim. 

Many open worlds by their nature share these features, though.

EDIT: would people say Bioshock meets the criteria? To me it created the illusion of being in the same genre, and there's the play on 'shock' in the title that makes it sound like it's part of the System Shock lineage, but in reality it just felt like a FPS with some stuff lifted from the aforementioned games.

• Upvote 2